Because you’re free to read this blog
- December 7th - Out and about on a sunny, bright but windy day in... December 8, 2017
- December 6th - Well, this’ll be the end then. So long, it... December 7, 2017
- December 6th - Something today I noticed on a couple of bikes in... December 7, 2017
- December 5th - A very dark, grey and overcast day without... December 6, 2017
- December 5th - In Telford again, and the work on the footbridge... December 6, 2017
- December 4th - Although it suddenly got warmer over the weekend,... December 5, 2017
- December 3rd - A quick, snatched photo taken while on an errand... December 4, 2017
- December 2nd - The Drunken Duck in Walsall Wood High Street is a... December 4, 2017
- December 2nd - Again passing through the Wood, this time to... December 4, 2017
- December 1st - Visiting Walsall Wood on an errand on my way... December 4, 2017
- December 1st - It was still very cold on Friday evening, and... December 4, 2017
- November 30th - Heading home that evening I hit the canal at the... December 4, 2017
Top Posts & Pages
- Snow update - Monday 11th December 2017
- Snow update - Tuesday 12th December 2017
- Christmas stories and crafts for kids at the library this Saturday!
- Ilkeston put the freeze on Walsall Wood
- Ooh - it's snowing! Walsall Schools closure list...
- Stourport swiftly dominate Wood as Wolves grab a sporting chance
- All white now
- BBC Television's Street Auction comes to Brownhills this Saturday!
- Terrace World Buffet - new Brownhills restaurant opening this Saturday!
- Get with the programme: Shire Oak School opening day 1967
- 4,896,679 hits
- Bill Shaw
- Brownhills local history
- Chase Inn
- Chasewater Dam
- Chasewater Wildlife Group
- Cheap tat
- Cycle rides
- David Evans
- Express & Star
- Good of the Wood
- live music
- local blogs
- Local History
- Local politics
- match review
- Mike Bird
- New Photos
- Oak Park
- Old maps
- Real Ale
- Shire Oak
- Things to do
- Walsall Council
- Walsall politics
- Walsall Wood
- Walsall WOod FC
- West Midlands
- West Midlands Police
© BrownhillsBobAll rights reserved - material not to be reused without permission.
Blogs I Follow
- Wise O Notes
- South Coast Tour 2016
- Andrew's Kindred
- The Plastic Hippo
- BrownhillsBob's Brownhills Blog
- Edinburgh Wildlife
- DARLASTON REMEMBERS
- West Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust
- Aer Reg
- Mikes WFC Players History
- Life At 50mm
- Studio Living
- Diary of a Four Wheeled Wonder Woman
- Lichfield Waterworks Trust
- Chasewaterstuff's Railway & Canal Blog
- Chasewater Railway Museum
Tag Archives: Redevelopment
Last year I featured a very popular set of images from a place I genuinely didn’t realise still existed: The Grove Colliery, the remnants of which – the house and offices situated just off Lime Lane, between Pelsall, Brownhills, Norton and Great Wyrley – were documented by old pal off the blog Simon Swain and posted here as a gallery I include below.
One lost local pub that always generates warm memories and lively conversations is the Station Hotel, which was a somewhat notorious pub that stood about where Aldi is today at the Miner end of Brownhills High Street.
I’ve been asking for years for more material on Crabtree and other local factories, as I’m sure there’s an untapped and rich seem of material to be found from these great lost local employers – but sadly little has emerged.
There’s currently a buzz in the local rail community and in some groups on Facebook about a 1968 cinefilm recently converted to digital and uploaded online by rail historian and blog regular, Ian Pell – it’s a remarkable, wonderful thing, and Ian has written a fascinating account of the film and line it covers especially for the blog, which I feature below.
Just a note for anyone interested that Oak Park Active Living Centre – the new leisure centre in Walsall Wood – opens this Tuesday, 9th August 2016 as does the sister centre at Bloxwich.