Because you’re free to read this blog
- June 21st - Another high summer day, the longest as it happens,... June 22, 2017
- June 20th - This old chap is someone I’m very pleased to see,... June 21, 2017
- June 20th - A day of errands in the Black Country and plenty of... June 21, 2017
- June 19th - Returning from work I noted the Catshill Canada... June 21, 2017
- June 19th - I met this skinny, lithe young cat in north Walsall,... June 21, 2017
- June 18th - Another fine, high summer day and this time I headed... June 21, 2017
- June 17th - From Amerton, I went for a long afternoon and... June 21, 2017
- June 17th - A ride out to Amerton Farm, the craft centre just... June 21, 2017
- June 16th - This poor, out of focus photo shows something I was... June 17, 2017
- June 16th - Summer is finally on her throne, and how glorious... June 17, 2017
- June 15th As I cycled home up the Scarborough Road in Pleck, I... June 16, 2017
- June 15th - I heard about the local poppy field on Facebook, and... June 16, 2017
Top Posts & Pages
- Tragedy at local lake as boy drowns
- Incidents last night in Brownhills...
- Walsall Wood Remembrance Parade: An important appeal
- Mere vandalism
- Ryders Mere fishery plan withdrawn
- Culvert investigations
- Terrace World Buffet - new Brownhills restaurant opening this Saturday!
- Drama as two cars collide on Pelsall Road, Brownhills last night
- Hot spell causes bloom of blue-green algae at Chasewater
- BBC Television's Street Auction comes to Brownhills this Saturday!
- 4,364,782 hits
- 2014 2015 2016 2017 Accident Aldridge appeal away Bill Shaw Brian Stringer Brownhills Brownhills local history Canal Chase Inn Chasewater Chasewater Dam Chasewater Wildlife Group Cheap tat Clayhanger crime Cycle rides cycling David Evans Derelict entertainment event Events Express & Star Facebook FC football Footy free gig Good of the Wood home Lichfield live music local blogs Local History Local politics Lost match review Mike Bird New Photos Newtown Oak Park Old maps Panoramio planning Police Politics Pubs Real Ale Redevelopment Report Reservoir result Saturday Shire Oak Silly soccer Staffordshire Stonnall Sunday Things to do Twitter Vandalism Walsall Walsall Council Walsall politics Walsall Wood Walsall WOod FC West Midlands Police Wildlife
© BrownhillsBobAll rights reserved - material not to be reused without permission.
Blogs I Follow
- Wise O Notes
- South Coast Tour 2016
- Andrew's Kindred
- The Plastic Hippo
- BrownhillsBob's Brownhills Blog
- Edinburgh Wildlife
- DARLASTON REMEMBERS
- West Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust
- Aer Reg
- Mikes WFC Players History
- Life At 50mm
- Studio Living
- Diary of a Four Wheeled Wonder Woman
- Lichfield Waterworks Trust
- Chasewaterstuff's Railway & Canal Blog
- Chasewater Railway Museum
Tag Archives: Chasewaterstuff
The 1st October 2016 was the 86th anniversary of the worst modern-day pit disaster in our area, the Grove Pit Disaster, in which fourteen miners perished following an explosion a mile and a half below Brownhills Common, beneath the Ring Sun Inn.
Back last weekend, local wildlife expert, ecologist and local historian Chaz Mason got in touch, asking for help with a picture of an old steam locomotive that he’s got hold of – he wasn’t sure about the origins of the engine, but thought it was something unusual. Continue reading →
The Ogley Square slum was indeed cleared – and as can be seen today – the area of Catshill and Ogley Hay around it became the site of huge social housing development – however, the site of the Square itself became the location of a new pub..
Here’s an interesting thing that top local history monkey [Howmuch?] bought at a book fayre last week. It’s the program for the Fourth Annual Steam & Vintage Vehicle Rally, held by Chasewater Light Railway Society on the weekend of 21st & 22nd June 1980.
Continue reading →
The 1st October 2012 – a couple of hours away from when I post this – will mark 82 years since the Grove Pit Disaster that killed fourteen local men in the mine that stood just off Lime Lane, on … Continue reading →
I’m not much of a petrol head, really, as regular readers will have worked out. I do, however, love old cars and car shows, particularly local ones like the Chasewater Transport Show. Since it was such a bright sunny day … Continue reading →
I just spotted on the excellent Chasewaterstuff’s Railway and Canal Blog and via his twitter stream that there’s an MG car show on tomorrow, Sunday 13th May 2012 at Chasewater. There will be lots of classic and restored motors there, … Continue reading →