Because you’re free to read this blog
- May 30th - I encountered the Watermead swan family right by the... May 31, 2016
- May 30th - I wasn’t well today. The long ride of the day before... May 31, 2016
- May 29th - In the meadow behind Alder Mill, just north of... May 31, 2016
- May 29th - A day of remarkable colour and beauty. I set off in... May 30, 2016
- May 28th - I returned from Burntwood via Chasewater at sunset.It... May 30, 2016
- May 28th - A recovery day. I didn’t do much, but had to be at a... May 30, 2016
- May 27th - The birdlife on the canals of Birmingham and the... May 30, 2016
- May 27th - I had stuff to do near Allcester, and finished early,... May 30, 2016
- March 26th - There’s times when you just have to give in. For... May 27, 2016
- May 26th - One flower I forgot yesterday that really deserves... May 27, 2016
- May 25th - Another thing that’s abundant right now is the May or... May 26, 2016
- May 25th - As we advance to late spring and early summer, some... May 25, 2016
Top Posts & Pages
- White dog found in Brownhills - let's get her home!
- What's wrong with this picture?
- Do you remember this Smithy?
- Don't forget Lichfield Bower today!
- Chasewater Stadium - what do you recall?
- New Hall Mill open tomorrow, Spring Bank Holiday Monday
- That rings a bell
- Bathing beauties
- What's this stuff about, then?
- We're going down to Cockfest...
- 3,240,087 hits
- 2014 2015 2016 Accident Aldridge appeal away Baker Bond Bill Shaw Brian Stringer Brownhills Brownhills local history Canal Chasewater Chasewater Dam Chasewater Wildlife Group Cheap tat Clayhanger crime Cycle rides cycling David Evans Derelict event Events Express & Star Facebook FC football Footy free freesheet Gazette Good of the Wood home Laburnum Cottage Lichfield local blogs Local History Local politics Lost match review Mike Bird New Photos newspaper Newtown Oak Park Old maps Panoramio planning Police Politics Pubs Redevelopment Report Reservoir result Saturday Shire Oak Silly soccer Staffordshire Stonnall Sunday Tesco Things to do Twitter Vandalism Walsall Walsall Council Walsall politics Walsall Wood Walsall WOod FC West Midlands Police Wildlife
- RT @Rustykitty65: @BrownhillsBob Not from our zoo but still adorable to show Pickle. Hope your migraine is gone. #PandaLove https://t.co/1S… 18 minutes ago
- RT @ziyatong: Join me & a whole host of Canadian celebs at Pandamonium! 🐼 June 23rd. Get your tickets now: pandamonium.wwf.ca https://… 18 minutes ago
- Just been cut up in Tipton whilst driving a 4WD. By an old girl in a pony and trap. Reasons to love the Black Country part 108d 18 minutes ago
- RT @MailHoroscopes: Virgo: You go to the hospital and are shocked by the number of immigrants in A&E. One bandages your arm and another tak… 4 hours ago
- RT @mikelcu: If anyone spots a BMW with reg starting CY02, can they get the rest of the reg for me? Accelerated at @AnneCummins and myself… 4 hours ago
© BrownhillsBobAll rights reserved - material not to be reused without permission.
Blogs I Follow
- The Plastic Hippo
- BrownhillsBob's Brownhills Blog
- Edinburgh Wildlife
- DARLASTON REMEMBERS
- West Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust
- Aer Reg
- Stickymackhouse my life and other things
- Life At 50mm
- Studio Living
- Diary of a Four Wheeled Wonder Woman
- Lichfield Waterworks Trust
- Chasewaterstuff's Railway & Canal Blog
- Chasewater Railway Museum
- Mental Health Cop
- Diary of a Gimpy Kid
- Handed on
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Chasewater Strollers June 6, 2016 at 9:30 am – 1:00 pm Chasewater Innovation Centre, Burntwood, Lichfield District, United Kingdom Buggy social strolling group for parents & toddlers https://brownhillsbob.com/2014/04/20/stroll-on/ https://www.facebook.com/Chasewaterstrollers
- Chasewater Strollers June 13, 2016 at 9:30 am – 1:00 pm Chasewater Innovation Centre, Burntwood, Lichfield District, United Kingdom Buggy social strolling group for parents & toddlers https://brownhillsbob.com/2014/04/20/stroll-on/ https://www.facebook.com/Chasewaterstrollers
- Chasewater Strollers June 20, 2016 at 9:30 am – 1:00 pm Chasewater Innovation Centre, Burntwood, Lichfield District, United Kingdom Buggy social strolling group for parents & toddlers https://brownhillsbob.com/2014/04/20/stroll-on/ https://www.facebook.com/Chasewaterstrollers
Tag Archives: Norton Pool
I still have a little of the very popular Mavis Woodhouse material to come – so far we’ve had the Foxes Row and Victor Haines articles, the Fred Shingler film of Newtown, Mavis’s recollections of the mining history, the curious disappearing cottage, and memories of Sunday School in the small community on the Watling Street.
The Mavis Woodhouse material featured here of late is a local history gift that just keeps giving, and yesterday, I had a fascinating email very kindly sent to me by Ann Grinstead, the lady who edited the initial copy of Mavis’s family history, subsequently later edited for the blog by the young David Evans.
Mavis Woodhouse really started something when she kindly donated her family history material to the blog – the Foxes Row article was very popular, the Victor Haines material had us all head scratching, and the film of Newtown that was so newly relevant has had a huge number of views.
This is just a quick one, as I thought we needed to get at least a little bit of history in at long last – and this one has piqued my curiosity, as my antenna always twitch when I hear subsidence legends.
The generosity of Mavis Woodhouse in allowing David Evans, myself and you readers to share her privately produced family history book is really proving to be a rich source of discussion, debate and new local history tangents – the Foxes Row article was very popular, the Victor Haines material had us all head scratching, and the film of Newtown that was so newly relevant has had a huge number of views.