Because you’re free to read this blog
- May 30th - I encountered the Watermead swan family right by the... May 31, 2016
- May 30th - I wasn’t well today. The long ride of the day before... May 31, 2016
- May 29th - In the meadow behind Alder Mill, just north of... May 31, 2016
- May 29th - A day of remarkable colour and beauty. I set off in... May 30, 2016
- May 28th - I returned from Burntwood via Chasewater at sunset.It... May 30, 2016
- May 28th - A recovery day. I didn’t do much, but had to be at a... May 30, 2016
- May 27th - The birdlife on the canals of Birmingham and the... May 30, 2016
- May 27th - I had stuff to do near Allcester, and finished early,... May 30, 2016
- March 26th - There’s times when you just have to give in. For... May 27, 2016
- May 26th - One flower I forgot yesterday that really deserves... May 27, 2016
- May 25th - Another thing that’s abundant right now is the May or... May 26, 2016
- May 25th - As we advance to late spring and early summer, some... May 25, 2016
Top Posts & Pages
- White dog found in Brownhills - let's get her home!
- What's wrong with this picture?
- Do you remember this Smithy?
- Chasewater Stadium - what do you recall?
- Don't forget Lichfield Bower today!
- New Hall Mill open tomorrow, Spring Bank Holiday Monday
- Bathing beauties
- That rings a bell
- Brownhills Carnival in the late 1970s remembered
- What's this stuff about, then?
- 3,240,832 hits
- 2014 2015 2016 Accident Aldridge appeal away Baker Bond Bill Shaw Brian Stringer Brownhills Brownhills local history Canal Chasewater Chasewater Dam Chasewater Wildlife Group Cheap tat Clayhanger crime Cycle rides cycling David Evans Derelict event Events Express & Star Facebook FC football Footy free freesheet Gazette Good of the Wood home Laburnum Cottage Lichfield local blogs Local History Local politics Lost match review Mike Bird New Photos newspaper Newtown Oak Park Old maps Panoramio planning Police Politics Pubs Redevelopment Report Reservoir result Saturday Shire Oak Silly soccer Staffordshire Stonnall Sunday Tesco Things to do Twitter Vandalism Walsall Walsall Council Walsall politics Walsall Wood Walsall WOod FC West Midlands Police Wildlife
- RT @sainteanswythes: That Old Chestnut! Flowering In Our Churchyard. https://t.co/iSovi1ZruE 47 minutes ago
- RT @Staedtler: So, absent of a national constitution, leaving Europe would mean absolute power in a parliamentary majority. 48 minutes ago
- RT @LibyaLiberty: #HugABigot because the real victim is the person who hates, not the person who is hated. 56 minutes ago
- RT @SoVeryBritish: "I wouldn't do that if I were you" - Translation: The results of doing that could be catastrophic, perhaps fatal 59 minutes ago
- RT @VictorianLondon: that's entertainment https://t.co/W9ftJ2enAN 1 hour ago
© BrownhillsBobAll rights reserved - material not to be reused without permission.
Blogs I Follow
- The Plastic Hippo
- BrownhillsBob's Brownhills Blog
- Edinburgh Wildlife
- DARLASTON REMEMBERS
- West Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust
- Aer Reg
- Stickymackhouse my life and other things
- Life At 50mm
- Studio Living
- Diary of a Four Wheeled Wonder Woman
- Lichfield Waterworks Trust
- Chasewaterstuff's Railway & Canal Blog
- Chasewater Railway Museum
- Mental Health Cop
- Diary of a Gimpy Kid
- Handed on
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Chasewater Strollers June 6, 2016 at 9:30 am – 1:00 pm Chasewater Innovation Centre, Burntwood, Lichfield District, United Kingdom Buggy social strolling group for parents & toddlers https://brownhillsbob.com/2014/04/20/stroll-on/ https://www.facebook.com/Chasewaterstrollers
- Chasewater Strollers June 13, 2016 at 9:30 am – 1:00 pm Chasewater Innovation Centre, Burntwood, Lichfield District, United Kingdom Buggy social strolling group for parents & toddlers https://brownhillsbob.com/2014/04/20/stroll-on/ https://www.facebook.com/Chasewaterstrollers
- Chasewater Strollers June 20, 2016 at 9:30 am – 1:00 pm Chasewater Innovation Centre, Burntwood, Lichfield District, United Kingdom Buggy social strolling group for parents & toddlers https://brownhillsbob.com/2014/04/20/stroll-on/ https://www.facebook.com/Chasewaterstrollers
Tag Archives: Industrial Estate
Thanks to the two readers who kindly pointed out that the Linley Wood camp – occupied post World War Two by homeless families under the then remarkable and widespread ‘squatting’ movement – is actually shown on the archive 1945 Google Earth imagery.
Here’s one I’ve been trying to feature for a couple of weeks now but lack of time has prevented me from doing so – you’ll remember a few weeks ago, we uncovered the fascinating story of homeless families taking vacant possession of an ex-army camp at Linley Woods, part of a much larger movement of ‘Squatters’ across the UK in the immediate aftermath of World War 2.
Sometimes I get emails or contacts out of the blue with subjects that just knock me flat – and overnight I received a lovely, kind email from Malcolm Clarke, an ex-local now residing in New Zealand – Malcolm has an interesting bit of history I had no idea had occurred locally.
Continue reading →
There’s been a nasty accident in Brownhills during rush hour this evening (17th June 2014), when a car and motorcycle were in collision at the junction of Chase Road and an industrial estate access road.
Continue reading →
Blimey, it’s all happening today – it seems some unexploded wartime grenades were found near Chasewater Industrial Estate, Burntwood (Known as the LCP) in the last 24 hours, which were subsequently destroyed in a controlled explosion.
Continue reading →
Hat tip here to the ongoing and excellent research being carried out by top local history ferret [Howmuch?], who’s located this smashing article from the August 16th, 1957 edition of the Walsall Observer. You’ll have to make do with my … Continue reading →