By George, he’s got it!

Brownhills George continues to surprise and delight with a phenomenal selection of photos on Panoramio uploaded in the last week. George has sent me some wonderful emails in which he discusses local history matters with passion and clear enthusiasm, and a great deal of knowledge. I’ll be returning to the points he’s raised with me at the weekend, but for now, here’s a selection of images from George’s gallery on Panoramio that light up recent stories.

I cannot thank George enough – these images are gold dust, and will help illuminate many things for readers new and old alike.

Please pop to George’s gallery and browse. It’s growing all the time! Click on any image below to visit it at Panoramio.

George – my thanks.

88967734

For me, this is the star of the show. A look down Anglesey Basin from near the original Ray Shill image, but that must be Jasmine Cottage in the distance. Brilliant. Image uploaded to Panoramio by Brownhills George.

For more about these views, and Jasmine and Wharf Cottages, please check out these posts. A remarkable contribution from Brownhills George there.

88846583

Anglesey Basin and Wharf Cottages (if I’m not mistaken), in surprising clarity. Image uploaded to Panoramio by Brownhills George.

88967511

Most readers will recognise the old Iron Bridge, but the building behind is The Pier Inn, or Fortune of War, one of the many lost pubs of Brownhills. This is taken from the old Spot Path – note the climb up the canal bank that isn’t there today. Image uploaded to Panoramio by Brownhills George.

For some surprising history of the Fortune of War, please check this post. These images are of remarkable quality, the best I’ve seen of this lost alehouse.

88967514

A wider angle shot showing the relationship between the pub and the bridge. The area was known as ‘Pike Helve’ for years. Click on the image to see it in Panoramio, then click it again to zoom; just look at the changed landscape beyond the bridge. Image uploaded to Panoramio by Brownhills George.

88967556

Related to the Chasewater Stadium post at the weekend, Motorcycle Generation. I’d forgotten the Dunlop boards at the far end. This would be near the Balti Garden today. When I was a child, I can remember my mum bustling me past here like it was some place of ill repute. I can still smell the leathers. Image uploaded to Panoramio by Brownhills George.

Chasewater Stadium – a day of motorbike racing in 1977.

89003097

This one is also very interesting. This is where Chandlers Keep is today, and I’d guess this was taken at the time the old foundry was demolished, which I think would be early 1990s. Few pictures of this site exist. Image uploaded to Panoramio by Brownhills George.

More about this yard as viewed from Waine House, and in earlier times. The mapping record can be found at the foot of this post, too.

This entry was posted in Brownhills stuff, Chasewater, Clayhanger stuff, Environment, Followups, Fun stuff to see and do, Interesting photos, Local Blogs, Local History, Local media, News, Panoramio photo discussions, Panoramio updates, Reader enquiries, Shared media, Shared memories, Social Media, Spotted whilst browsing the web, Walsall community and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to By George, he’s got it!

1. Mick P says:

Great pics, and love the one of Motorcycle Generation (what a superb, evocative name for a bike shop). There was also the Honda dealership down at Silver Court, back in that heady era of the ’70s and ’80s when a huge number of kids took to motorcycles as their first powered transport. I recall seeing an early, un-badged test mule of what would become Norton’s rotary-engined roadster (built at Shenstone) parked up outside Motorcycle Generation. I was thrilled.

• Clive says:

Hello Mike, I remember seeing the unbadged Norton in Clayhanger on my way to work on a number of times. i had forgotten about it, thanks for getting my grey cells back into action.

• Mick P says:

Hello Clive – you’re welcome, and in fact it’s good to have it confirmed that I’d seen that bike. Time plays tricks on one’s memory!

• Stevew says:

I remember one of the test riders being killed in an accident at the Aldridge Road – Longwood Lane Junction. He had lost control and hit the canal bridge wall while riding towards the Walsall direction, about 1986 i would say. I also remember a Double Decker bus going through the same wall and ending up in the canal sometime in the 1980’s.

2. Clive says:

Hi George, you have some fantastic photos of old Brownhills, i do wish i was intrested in my local history when i was younger. Im trying to make up for it now, take my camera with me every time i go out for a walk now. Thank for sharing your photos with us all.

3. emell says:

Cracking photo find, the shop on the right is now Poxons Butchers shop and the one on the far left used to be Kents second hand furniture shop ?

just noticed Jim and Jean’s motorcycle shop in the HIgh Street.Looking at the price and make (CZ?) of the bike on sale in the window I would say the photo is probably 1982..when I bought my own bike from them.

5. Pingback: Going back | BrownhillsBob's Brownhills Blog

6. Pingback: Celebrating Triumph | BrownhillsBob's Brownhills Blog

7. Pingback: The life of Brian | BrownhillsBob's Brownhills Blog

8. Pingback: The past, by George! | BrownhillsBob's Brownhills Blog

9. Pingback: Photographic memory | BrownhillsBob's Brownhills Blog

10. goodcuppa says:

what was the name of the shoe shop, before it was the Provist.

11. Steve Mason says:

The Honda dealership (The Honda Shop) was owned by Brian Crighton, who went on to develop the Norton Rotary engine at Shenstone in 1985. Brian was (and still is) a visionary when it came to this engine. Norton had some success with the Rotary engine bike winning on only its second race outing. The test bikes were very often seen in and around Brownhills.

12. Pingback: Keepsake | BrownhillsBob's Brownhills Blog