Woodmen battle hard, but can’t beat Alvechurch

Photos and captions kindly supplied by David Evans

Last Saturday afternoon (12th March 2016) Walsall Wood FC travelled south to play Alvechurch away, and were sadly beaten.

Simon and David Evans were there to catch the action:


Alvechurch 2 v 1 Walsall Wood

Alvechurch got the game underway and went straight on the attack. A long ball was collected by Adam Jenkins in the Wood goal, but Alvechurch were soon back on the attack,  a cross after some rather nice play was just too long.

Walsall Wood’s first attack saw good play between Steven Hayles and Drew Aiton, Steven Hayles shot was well cleared, next saw great football by Louis Harris whose pass to Joey Butlin. Butlin’s first time shot was sadly well held by the Alvechurch goalkeeper. After a Wood free kick, Joey Butlin’s flick on was met by Dan Griffiths, his shot just wide of the post.

Danny Ashton from Alverchurch then ran at the Wood defence which was defended, the ball fell to Sam Williams who shot over the bar. Another Alvechurch attack saw Jordan Nadat head just over.

Alvechurch then had a penalty appeal waved away, from that Wood attacked a Louis Harris pass was met by Anthony Juxon, his header just off target.

After 18 minutes a moment of controversy when the referee awarded Alvechurch a penalty which was put away by James Spray. Straight after Jordan Nadat had a shot which went over the bar.

Wood’s response was a Drew Aiton shot just past the post after nice build up play.

After 42 minutes wood drew level. Lewis Taylor Boyce fed Louis Harris a great pass, Harris’s perfect lob floated into the far corner.

The last action of the first half saw an Alvechurch free kick defended by the Wood.

Half time 1-1

Walsall Wood got the second half underway and within a couple of minutes another moment of controversy when, after a tackle in the Alvechurch box, the referee dismissed Wood’s protests. Wood then had a brief spell of pressure, Craig Deakin’s pass to Joey Butlin, his lay off to Dan Griffiths who shot past the post.

Alvechurch’s Zack Foster then tested Adam Jenkins in the Wood goal, who produced a wonder save to deny him. Alvechurch no 8 Sam Williams then shot wide.

The visitors then made their first substitution: Danny Ashton being replaced by Nick Wright. Alvechurch then had a brief spell of attack, James Spray and Jordan Nadat seeing shots go over the bar.

Soon after Wood made their first substitution, seeing Drew Aiton being replaced by Max Black.

Adam Jenkins in the Wood goal was then forced into another fine save, saving from James Spray. Some elegant Wood interplay between Louis Harris and Lewis Taylor Boyce saw the keeper claim well.

Alvechurch then made another change Sam Williams being replaced by Ryan Linwood.

On 86 minutes after an innocuous challenge, Alvechurch scored their second goal. Nick Wright’s freekick finding the bottom corner.

Walsall Wood then made another swap, Luke Wright replacing Louis Harris.

After 92 minutes Wood were reduced to 10 men, Steven Hayles seeing red.

Full time 2-1

Walsall Wood are a good team and an excellent, community-spirited club. They need and deserve our support.

As ever, thanks to Simon and David for the report – always appreciated – for The Good of the Wood!

This entry was posted in Brownhills stuff, Environment, Events, Followups, Fun stuff to see and do, Local media, News, Reader enquiries, Shared media, Social Media, Walsall community, Walsall Wood stuff and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Woodmen battle hard, but can’t beat Alvechurch

  1. Bad luck “The Wood”, Oak Park looks a little different to usual (sorry Bob)

    • Dammit – sorted. Sorry. Posted that one somewhat too quickly at work and didn’t pay attention, sorry!

      Please folks, if you notice a monumental copck up, please let me know – I do like things to be right!

      Apologies to all,

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.