Coleshill Town hold Woodmen down

Images and captions supplied by David Evans, who seems not to be a fan of the new astroturf at Coleshill…

Walsall Wood FC disappointed Bill Shaw yesterday afternoon (24th October 2015), as the Woodmen conceded a hard-fought away defeat to Coleshill Town FC.

My sympathies to Joey Butlin – that must have hurt. Get well soon old chap.

Bill submitted the following match report:

Hiya Bob,

Another game when there was no justice, but it’s one point from a possible 15 against Coleshill now, but we have a quick chance of a revenge with the return match at the Wood on Tuesday 10th November.

This season is becoming a nightmare for Joey Butlin, concussed from an off the ball elbow at Coventry Sphinx, this time a boot full in the mouth saw him lose his two front teeth (after he was rushed to an emergency dentist) when he was caught in the 35th minute.

It’s a chance to re-group for the Wood who now have a 10 day break (because next Saturday’s opponents Sporting Khalsa are in FA Vase 1st round action) before Stoke City are the visitors on Tuesday 3rd November, kickoff 7.45 pm – they will obviously be looking to avenge last season’s defeat in the same competition.

Coleshill Town 1 v 0 Walsall Wood

A goal by substitute Luke Chapman three minutes into injury time robbed Wood of the point their performance deserved. Town keeper Paul Hathaway saved a 34th minute penalty to keep the game goal-less at half-time, it proved pivotal in the end.

Against the run of play it was Wood who threatened first, Corey Currithers cutting inside from wide left, playing a ball across the face of the box, Joey Butlin flicked the ball right into the path of Drew Aiton to drill a first time low drive narrowly wide of the right hand post.

The reply was almost instant, Chris Hughes playing the ball out wide right to pick out Leon Weller, his vicious low cross inches in front of Luke Barlone sliding in at pace. A minute later it was Weller powering through the centre putting Hughes clear to race into the right of the box, his low near post drive saved at full stretch by keeper Lee Evans. From the corner the ball was played out to Luke Edwards to hit first time, Craig Deakin with a brave block. Three minutes later Josh Quaynor was released into the left of the box to fire a cross shot wide. Next on 17 minutes Barlone was found in the centre of the D, he cleverly turned away from his marker and fired a low drive inches wide.

A minute later a long clearance from Evans saw Dan Griffiths capitalise on a defensive slip and race into the left of the box, his low drive pushed away by keeper Paul Hathaway, Lewis Taylor Boyce fired in the loose ball first time, Hathaway making a full length save.

With 21 minutes gone, Quaynor raced clear wide left, his near post cross volleyed just wide by Hughes. Five minutes later Weller was put clear wide right, his low cross flying across the face of the six yard box. It was Weller again crossing from the right two minutes later, Hughes volleyed the ball goalwards Evans somehow keeping the ball out, it ricocheted off defender Luke Wright and away to safety.

A lovely incisive move down the Wood left on 34 minutes saw Steven Hayles play the ball forward to Butlin who immediately put Currithers racing into the left of the box, only for him to be pushed in the back, the referee gave a penalty. Up stepped Drew Aiton, keeper Hathaway saving low to his right, a melee developed from the loose ball, another penalty shout was ignored by the referee and the ball somehow stayed out.

A minute later Butlin lost two front teeth when he copped a kick in the mouth and left the field to be replaced by Luke Delaney.

Then on 37 minutes Dean Rathbone won the ball on halfway and powered forward into the box, his low drive bouncing off the outside of the left hand post.

Three minutes into the second half a ball over the top of the home defence saw Aiton first to the ball, his chip over the advancing Hathaway bringing a great save from the keeper to fingertip the ball away.

Back to the other end, a long clearance bounced forwards, Evans racing from his area to kick clear from Hughes. On 56 minutes Evans (Robert) found the ever dangerous Weller wide right he cut into the box, his low drive pushed round the post by Evans at full stretch.

For the next 30 minutes both sides went looking for the breakthrough but neither side could get the all-important goal. Wood looked to have won it on 85 minutes, a lovely flowing move ending with Currithers racing onto a ball into the left of the box and firing the ball past the advancing Hathaway who just slowed the ball down enough for Edwards to calmly clear the ball off the line.

Three minutes into injury time a right wing corner was delivered to the near post and was only partially cleared, substitute Luke Chapman volleying the ball home from close range.

Wood deserved at least a point, as Town had the most of the ball but Paul Hathaway was the busier of the two keepers, so a draw would have been a fair result.

Its 10 days off now for Wood before their next game, which is against Stoke City at the Wood on Tuesday 3rd November. Here’s hoping for a change of fortune.

Bill Shaw

Walsall Wood are a good team and an excellent, community-spirited institution. They need our support – so get your backsides down there!

As ever, thanks to Bill for the report – always appreciated – for The Good of the Wood!

This entry was posted in Brownhills stuff, Environment, Events, Followups, Fun stuff to see and do, Local media, News, Reader enquiries, Shared media, Social Media, Walsall community, Walsall Wood stuff and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Coleshill Town hold Woodmen down

  1. David Evans says:

    Hi Bob
    many thanks to Bill for the report, and to your goodself for the super presentation.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.