Wood hunt Tigers nearly to extinction, while Villans fail to storm Montpelier

Images and captions kindly supplied ny David Evans.

Yesterday (Saturday 11th November 2017) Walsall Wood F.C. entertained Fenlanders Holbeach United, and after some great football, Wood emerged once again the decisive  victors with an impressive 5-0 scoreline.

Bill Shaw was there, and came home a happy man:

Hiya Bob,

As the report says, a good crowd, a great atmosphere, five goals without reply and then the leaders Studley getting turned over at Leicester Road, it doesn’t get much better than that. So it’s now five points behind with four games in hand.

It’s Brocton on Tuesday night, a Wood bogey team recently but struggling this season, so if we follow the form book it could be two points the difference with three games in hand. It’s a bit late for me so I won’t be there, but I’ll hopefully make the Heath Hayes game  at the Colliery Ground on Saturday.

It’s looking good, so keep the faith everyone, it looks like being a good Christmas at the Wood.

F. A. Vase Round 2
Walsall Wood 5 v 0 Holbeach United

A large crowd and a great atmosphere that rivalled that of season 2012-2013 and we all know what happened then. Wood were simply too good for the level five visitors, 4-0 up at half time with Keenan Meakin-Richards opening his goal account with a deflected 45th minute drive to allow them a second half stroll.

The Tigers won an early corner in an interesting opening, neither keeper was troubled but it was Wood who soon steadied the nerves. Craig Deakin won the ball on halfway on eight minutes and played the ball down the line to Peter Till, he beat one man, cut inside and fed Paul Sullivan, his low drive pushed away by keeper Rick Drury but only to Tony Clarke who fired home to open the scoring. Two minutes later Clarke released Deakin into the left of the box and he went down under an awkward challenge – penalty – Paul Sullivan made no mistake 2-0. Three minutes later a lovely through ball from Chris Slater released Sullivan into the left of the box, he cut back inside and rolled a ball to the far post to find Lee Butler who got his feet in a tangle, hitting the ball back across the box.

On 17 minutes from a right wing free kick for the Tigers the ball was flicked on to Joe Smith, his first time effort deflected narrowly wide.

Walsall Wood FC pay their Armistice Day respects, as captured by Russell Smith’s superlative The-Wood.TV.

Five minutes later a long ball forward from skipper Mitch Tolley into the right of the box was collected at pace by Clarke who was clipped by a defender and lost his footing resulting in a penalty – Sullivan 3-0.

After a quiet spell Smith wide right for the Tigers hit a cross into the centre that was collected by Spencer Tinkler, his low drive deflected for a corner that was easily cleared.

At the end of the half Wood had the visitors pegged in their own box with three shots blocked until the ball fell to Tolley on the edge of the box, he rolled the ball into the path of Keenan Meakin-Richards 25 yards out, he hit a first time low drive that took a wicked deflection off a defender completely wrong-footing Drury and surely sealing Woods place in round 3.

The second half was played at a more sedate pace and it took until 56 minutes for the first opening, Lewis Hayden combining wide right with Till, his cross volleyed acrobatically over the far angle by Sullivan. two minutes later it was 5-0, Andy Westwo

od twice involved as Wood ripped open the defence before Sullivan was released into the left of the box, his low cross to the far post hit home by Clarke.

Ten minutes later Gavin Hurren won a ball on halfway, his 60 yard crossfield ball picked out Butler wide right, he went throughtwo challenges and his cross cum shot landed on the roof of the net at the far angle. On 79 minutes substitute Stan Mugisha was found on the right of the box, he held the ball up before cleverly turning his marker and rolling a cross shot just wide of the far post.

To their credit for the last 10 minutes the Tigers (level five remember) tried to take the game to their lower league opponents and to ironic cheers from the Wood faithful actually managed a couple of shots on target.

So it’s Wood who go into Monday’s draw and things later got even better for them with the news that leaders Studley had lost at Leicester Road, so the gap at the top is still five points but Wood now have four games in hand.

It’s Brocton in the league away on Tuesday night, with Heath Hayes the hosts on Saturday as Wood look to close the gap on the leaders.

Bill Shaw

The teams:

Walsall Wood – Ransome, Hayden, Deakin, Meekin-Richards, Slater, Tolley (captain), Butler, Westwo od, Sullivan, Clarke, Till, Mugisha, McFarlane, Gardner, Hurren, Fitzpatrick.

Holbeach United – Drury, Harker, Jackson (captain), Cartwright, Braithwaite, Dougill, Bird, Tinkler, Leckie, Oliver, Smith, Davies, Richardson, Griffiths, Ede.

As ever, thanks to Bill for the report, and the young David Evans for the photos – always appreciated.

Meanwhile, a report from Saturday 4th November 2017’s match at Oak Park between Pelsall Villa and Montpelier. This is an interesting one because it was the Villan’s first match at their new, temporary home of Oak Park. Both David and Simon Evans went to the match, and enjoyed a good game.

Images and captions by the young David Evans

Simon Evans wrote:

Pelsall Villa 0 v 0 Montpelier 4.11.17

Montpelier started brightly, the first attack saw the Montpelier striker burst through but the shot was straight at Pelsall’s keeper. Pelsall’s response was swift. Some nice play but the final ball was lacking.

Montpelier then had a brief spell of pressure. Max Black nearly opened the scoring for Pelsall, but the header was straight at the keeper. Montpelier then had a brief spell of pressure, but the Pelsall Villa defence held tight.

Pelsall s attacker then had a shot which the Montpelier goalkeeper got at the second attempt.

Half time: 0-0

The second half was similar to the first, both teams trying to play football, Montpelier attacker forcing the Pelsall’s keeper to a smart save.

Both teams playing some nice football without creating the cutting edge.

In the end it finished 0-0. For Pelsall a good performance against the team third in the league.

Simon Evans

Thanks to Bill Shaw and the Evans boys for the reports – it’s all kicking off down at The Wood!

This entry was posted in Brownhills stuff, Environment, Events, Followups, Fun stuff to see and do, Local media, News, Reader enquiries, Shared media, Social Media, Walsall community, Walsall Wood stuff and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.