Wood show Westfields the way out

Photos and captions kindly supplied by David Evans

Saturday afternoon (Saturday, 20th February 2016) Walsall Wood FC faced Westfields at Oak Park, resulting in a decisive and pleasing victory for the Woodmen.

Simon Evans, still deputising for Bill Shaw submitted the following match report:

Hiya Bob,

Walsall Wood 4 v 0 Westfields.

Wood got the match underway, straight from the kick off Westfields put Wood under pressure. Westfield no. 10 Thomas was the first to test the Wood keeper Adam Jenkins. Joey Butlin then had the Wood’s first shot. Nice play between Westfields Jamie Saunston and Jame Cuss followed, the latter cut into the home box but the cross eluded everybody for a goal kick. Straight from that James Baldwin, Westfields no. 11 produced a wonderful cross that the Wood Keeper Adam Jenkins held well. A Wood free kick was headed on, Corey Currithers turned and a snap shot just over the bar.

After 27 minutes the breakthrough, Lewis Taylor Boyce beat the offside trap, squared the ball to Joey Butlin who calmly slotted into the back of the net. 1-0 to Walsall Wood, Westfields then had a brief spell of pressure.

On 36 minutes a Louis Harris corner was headed out to Craig Deakin who unleashed an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net. 2-0 to Wood

A couple of minutes later a Lewis Taylor Boyce run saw him twist and turn, beating defenders, the resulting chip just sailed over the bar. The last few minutes of the first half saw Westfields attack, Wood counter attack.

Half time: 2-0 to the Wood

Westfields got the second half underway and immediately went on the attack. Aidan Thomas teasing the defenders before crossing into the box, which was cleared. Wood attacked, Lewis Taylor Boyce got into the box, a strong challenge ended the run. Matt Reeve, Westfields no. 6 had a shot which was well defended, the follow up shot went wide.

On the hour, Westfields made their first substitution, straight after Matt Reeve, Westfields no. 6 had a shot blocked and a cross shot that sailed just past the post. James Baldwin had a shot that was well held by Adam Jenkins in the Wood goal. Wood then made a sub, Drew Aiton on for Corey Currithers.

Westfields then pressed for a goal, some great wing play resulted in a shot parried by Jenkins in the wood goal, the ball fell to the Westfields player, who shot towards goal only for Craig Deakin to brilliantly clear it off the line. The corner was repelled by the Wood. James Baldwin then ran at the Wood defence his shot going just past the post.

After 78 minutes, a free kick was played to Lewis Taylor Boyce who went for the defence, cut inside to beat the covering defender and placed great shot past the despairing dive of Matt Gwynne in the Westfields goal. 3-0 to the Wood. Walsall Wood then made their final substitutions – Max Black and Ben Evans came on for Lewis Taylor Boyce and Louis Harris.

Wood then made it 4-0 with Joey Butlin bearing down on goal, his shot was saved by the keeper and he was first to react to the rebound despite attention by the Westfield defender.

Harry Harris then had a shot just sail over the bar, Westfields Craig James’s shot went just wide. The last action saw nice Wood play, Max Black to Joey Butlin his pass was met by Drew Aiton but the shot went just past the post

FT 4-0 to the Wood

Simon Evans

My thanks to Simon for a great report – and for all those he’s selflessly written and sent to me after every match. Getting better and better. Loving it.

For the good of the Wood!

This entry was posted in Brownhills stuff, Environment, Events, Followups, Fun stuff to see and do, Local media, News, Reader enquiries, Shared media, Social Media, Walsall community, Walsall Wood stuff and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Wood show Westfields the way out

  1. andyropes7 says:

    Excellent write up Simon

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.