Walsall Wood shut out by Alvechurch

Photos from the match kindly supplied by David Evans

Yesterday afternoon (Saturday 13th December 2015) Walsall Wood FC entertained Alvechurch at Oak Park for a match which although hard fought, saw the Wood lads lose three-nil.

Bill Shaw submitted the following report:

Hiya Bob,

It’s Alvechurch who march into Round Four of this season’s F.A. Vase with this comprehensive win over the Wood.

With Hereford beating Brocton it’s the Midland League Premier first and third into Monday’s draw and the other 30 sides will be hoping they avoid them.

Wood worked hard trying to match the visitors but missed the injured and cup-tied players, they are capable of competing at this level but need everyone fit and available.

Hopefully it’s League Cup action for Wood with Rocester visiting on Tuesday night, (weather permitting) and the last game before Christmas is the visit to Shepshed Dynamo next Saturday.

F.A. Vase Round 3
Walsall Wood 0 v 3 Alvechurch.

This was a far better contest than the League game in September but it was still Alvechurch who marched into Round Four courtesy of two goals from Karl ‘Edwards and the seventh minute opener from Danny Ashton that had left Wood always playing catch up.

An interesting opening, then on six minutes Danny Ashton raced in from wide on the right, and found Ryan Winwood who crossed to the far post, Josh O’Garro denying Josh Marsh at the expense of a corner that was easily cleared. A minute later from another left wing corner Ashton found himself in acres of space to head home to open the scoring. Three minutes later Ashton crossed from the right, Karl Edwards saw his first time effort blocked, the ball dropping to Marsh firing in a 20 yard low drive that was well held by keeper Lee Evans. On 19 minutes a long ball forwards was headed on by Edwards to put Marsh clear on the left edge of the box, Luke Wright making a superb challenge. Three minutes later Zack Foster played a ball over the top to find Edwards on the left edge of the box, Wright again to the rescue with another superb tackle. Two minutes later Winwood released Ashton into the right of the box, this time it was Anthony Juxon saving the day for Wood.

Wood’s first effort came on 27 minutes, Harry Harris chipped a free kick in a left of centre position to the far post, Wright heading back across goal and just over the far angle.

Four minutes later the visitors doubled their lead, a speculative high ball forward was mi-read by a defender allowing Edwards to race for goal, calmly slotting the ball past the advancing Evans.

On 36 minutes March raced clear wide left, went through one tackle before being stopped by Wright with another great challenge.

The last goalmouth action came on 44 minutes, Dan Griffiths charging into the left of the away box but being stopped at the expense of a corner that was eventually cleared.

On 52 minutes a lovely left wing Alvechurch move saw Edwards play a one-two with March, then another quick-fire one-two with Leigh Downing before his low drive was blocked for a corner. The left wing corner was played to the near post to find Downing, his flick well held by Evans. Nine minutes later substitute Nick Wright raced onto a ball through the centre, another superb last ditch challenge from his Wood namesake stopping him in his tracks.

On 68 minutes from a Wood right wing corner the ball was half cleared to Drew Aiton left of centre, he turned away from his marker and hit a low drive narrowly wide.

Three minutes later Connor Deards (another substitute) hit a first time effort from the left of the box, Wood keeper Evans saving at full stretch. On 80 minutes the keeper completely missed a back pass but quickly recovered to race back and hack the ball clear. Then five minutes later Nick Wright powered down the left, came in along the byeline, crossed low into the six yard box for Edwards to tap home from a matter of inches. On 90 minutes Foster raced through the centre from halfway, fed Wright on the right of the box, his low drive bringing a great full length save.

Well into injury time Harry Harris played a left wing one-two with Currithers, then played another one-two with Griffiths before hitting a first time drive just wide.

Wood tried hard to compete with the high flying visitors who were well worth the win that takes them into Mondays fourth round draw. No-one in the last 32 will relish being drawn against them.

For Wood it’s league cup duty at home to Rocester on Tuesday night, before they travel to Shepshed Dynamo on Saturday 19th.

Bill Shaw.

The Teams:

Walsall Wood: Evans, O’Garro, Hayles, Wright, Juxon, Taylor Boyce, Griffiths, Harris (Captain), Taylor, Aiton, Currithers, Ricketts, Delaney, Roberts, Sidibe, Hughes.

Alvechurch: Evans, Field, Foster, Bellis, Parsons, Buckfield (Captain), Ashton, Winwood, Edwards, Downing, March, Cresswell, Deards, Wright, Smith, Sargeant.

Walsall Wood are a good team and an excellent, community-spirited club. They need and deserve our support.

As ever, thanks to Bill for the report – always appreciated – for The Good of the Wood!

This entry was posted in Brownhills stuff, Environment, Events, Followups, Fun stuff to see and do, Local media, News, Reader enquiries, Shared media, Social Media, Walsall community, Walsall Wood stuff and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Walsall Wood shut out by Alvechurch

  1. David Evans says:

    cheers Bill and Bob

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.