Wood scrape past Highgate in penalty nail biter

Photos and captions very kindly supplied by the young David Evans. Nice line flag. Have the others been taking the rise? Let me know and I’ll sort ’em out

Last Tuesday evening (24th October 2017) Walsall Wood were visited by Highgate United, who were narrowly defeated in a tense match decided on a penalty shootout.

Simon Evans was there, and sent the following report:

Hiya Bob,

Walsall Wood 2 v 2 Highgate
Wood winners through 5-4 penalty shootout

Tuesday night saw Walsall Wood play Highgate United in the Polymac Packaging League Cup.

Wood started brightly, Sam Ager was marginally offside after nice build up play, Lewis Hayden’s long range shot sailed just past the post.  Soon afterwards Taylor Boyce’s shot found the bottom of the corner – one nil to the Wood.

Highgate’s response was swift, a counter attack and a header went wide. Johnathan Gould was next to test the Highgate keeper, his shot was turned round for a corner. Highgate’s keeper then raced out to clear from Tony Clarke. Straight up the other end and LLoyd  Ransome in the Wood goal produced a wonderful double save to deny Highgate. Johnathan Gould’s long range shot sailed the wrong side of the post following a Wood corner. Soon afterwards Wood went two-nil up, a great finish from Tony Clarke following a lay off Sam Ager.Half time:

2-0 to Wood

The latest from the wonderful TheWood TV: Pope Frankie – he saves, he scores!
Russell Smith gets to the root of the recent upsurge in fortunes…

Second half started and Highgate went on the offensive from the start, a long range effort was saved by Ransome in the Wood goal. Clarke’s header soon afterwards sailed just over the bar. Soon afterwards Highgate pulled a goal back through Lei Brown. Both teams were going for it, the Highgate keeper was keeping Wood out, The Wood defence was holding strong.

Highgate then got an equalising goal through Rickards. Wood were still creating chances but  the Highgate keeper was standing firm. Then a red card for the Wood player. Highgate kept on pressing for a winner, but the Wood defence held strong.

Full time: 2-2

So after 90 minutes the match went to penalties. Wood winning it 5-4, Andrew Westwood scoring the winning penalty.

Walsall Wood Football Club are a top local side with a big-hearted faithful who know how to have a great time supporting their lads, and welcome all comers to come enjoy great local soccer. The boys from The Wood have been at the heart of the local community for a century or more, so please do go check out a match or two if you’re curious.

I guarantee you’ll have more fun cheering on the local chaps than you ever will watching the over-priced prima donnas on TV…

For the good of The Wood!

This entry was posted in Brownhills stuff, Environment, Events, Followups, Fun stuff to see and do, Local media, News, Reader enquiries, Shared media, Social Media, Walsall community, Walsall Wood stuff and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.