Woodmen battle to victory over Coleshill


Walsall Wood FC’s Oak Park – once again the scene of some great football.

Walsall Wood FC pleased fans last Tuesday (1st March 2016) when they beat Coleshill Town at Oak Park – following Saturday’s cancelled away match, the win delighted David and Simon Evans.

It wasn’t all plain sailing though, as Simon reports…

Hiya Bob,

Walsall Wood 2 v 1 Coleshill

Walsall Wood got the game underway in difficult conditions and straight from the kickoff Coleshill won the ball back and went on the attack. Some good defending by the Wood cleared the danger and both teams were attacking. After nine minutes the Coleshill player Mickel Beckley burst through, his shot was cleared off the line. Wood now were having a spell of good pressure, a Joey Butlin cross was dropped by Coleshill keeper Paul Hathaway and eventually dealt with by the defenders. The resulting clearance was picked up by Coleshills Ricardo Reid who ran straight at the Wood, his shot went over the bar. Coleshill then had a couple of corners which were seen off by the Wood defence.

After 28 minutes Wood were forced into a substitution, Louis Harris being replaced by Drew Aiton. A couple of minutes later a Coleshill corner caused confusion in the Wood box, Adam Jenkins managed to hold the ball after a scramble. Some nice play saw Corey Currithers release Steven Hayles, his cross was well defended. Coleshill’s Ricardo Reid had a shot straight at Adam Jenkins in the Wood goal.

Some indecision in the Coleshill defence allowed Craig Deakin to sneak in, his shot was cleared off the line.

On the stroke of half time, A coleshill corner was bundled in by Rob Evans the Coleshill captain.

Half time 0-1

Coleshill got the second half underway. Straight from ther kick off, Coleshill’s Ricardo Reid found himself in the clear, rather than shooting he passed to a team mate, Craig Deakin read the situation and cleared. A couple of minutes later Reid crossed to the back post, Rob Evans shot across the box, the Wood defenders again averted the danger.

On 52 minutes a Joey Butlin overhead kick was just off target. Two minutes later great work by Lewis Taylor-Boyce when he ran at the defence, his cut back was met by Corey Currithers who placed a great shot into the back of the Coleshill net.

Wood were now in the ascendancy a Craig Deakin shot was well held by Paul Hathaway in the Coleshill goal. A Joey Butlin header from a Harry Harris free kick was ruled out for offside.

A Coleshill corner was headed out from on the Wood line, while a Harry Harris free kick was headed just wide by Anthony Juxon.

Coleshill then made a substitution, Simeon Colborne replacing Mikel Beckley. A through ball was parried by the Coleshill Keeper Paul Hathawaywith Joey Butlin bearing down. Coleshill then made another substitution, Reece Leak replacing Thomas Weale.

With 83 minutes gone, a long ball into the Coleshill half saw their defender try to shepherd the ball out for a goalkick, Craig Deakin snuck in, won the ball, his cut back was met sweetly by Harry Harris. His shot flew into the back of the Coleshill net .

Coleshill then made there final change, Connor Leak replacing Giovani Dainty.

In the last few minutes Coleshill pressed for an equaliser, but the Wood defence held firm – the last action saw a Coleshill freekick go wide.

Full time: 2-1 to Walsall Wood.

As ever, thanks to Simon for the report – always appreciated – for The Good of the Wood!

This entry was posted in Brownhills stuff, Environment, Events, Followups, Fun stuff to see and do, Local media, News, Reader enquiries, Shared media, Social Media, Walsall community, Walsall Wood stuff and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.