Walsall Wood fight hard but lose to the Pics

All photos courtesy the young David Evans.

At the very beginnings of the 2015/16 season and the friendlies well underway, I’m happy to welcome back regular match reports from top Walsall Wood footy correspondent Bill Shaw here on the Brownhills Blog, with this report of Tuesday’s closely fought, but sadly losing match against Russell Olympic at Oak Park.

Walsall Wood Football Club are a top local side with a big-hearted faithful who know how to have a great time supporting their lads, and welcome all comers to come enjoy great local soccer. The boys from The Wood have been at the heart of the local community for a century or more, so please do go check out a match or two if you’re curious.

Bill wrote:

Hiya Bob,

Walsall Wood 1 v 4 Rushall Olympic

A late three goal flurry gave the scoreline a flattering look for the visitors who had been just the better of the two sides intent on playing attacking football that had given the supporters full value, entertainment wise.

After a lively opening 15 minutes it was Rushall who went ahead, Jordan Fitzpatrick winning the ball left of centre before hitting a superb 50 yard cross field ball into the right of the box to pick out trialist Derek Agbo who left his marker in his wake as he calmly slotted the ball past advancing keeper Mario Kisiel.

Wood almost equalised within three minutes, Drew Aiton playing a short right wing corner to Lewis Taylor Boyce, taking the return, fading inside before crashing a 30 yard drive off the crossbar with keeper Dan Coleman soundly beaten.

On 23 minutes livewire Alex Reid raced onto an incisive ball into the centre of the box, Kisiel quickly off his line to save bravely at his feet.

Wood’s reply was immediate, Kisiel played the ball over halfway to find Joey Butlin, he held the ball up before turning and releasing Taylor Boyce on the right of the box, he raced across the face of the box, his low drive deflected narrowly wide. Then on 31 minutes Corey Currithers came inside from wide left, played a neat one-two with Aiton and hit a 30 yard screamer into the top right hand corner, Coleman flying across his goal to make a stunning one handed save.

The visitors went close to extending their lead on 51 minutes, Kris Taylor collecting a ball through the middle and his fierce low drive from 30 yards brought a superb full length save from Kisiel.

Wood equalised on 60 minutes, Craig Deakin making a 60 yard left wing run and finding Currithers on the left of the box, he cut inside through two tackles, his vicious near post low drive was only parried by the keeper, Butlin pouncing to fire home the loose ball.

On 71 minutes Carl Palmer powered through the centre of the Wood defence, his 25 yard drive bringing a full length save from the keeper. Seven minutes later a ridiculous penalty gave Gavin Caines the chance to put the visitors ahead and he duly obliged. It got worse for Wood when three minutes later Jack Duggan powered home a far post header from a right wing corner. A minute later it was 4-1, Caines at the near post heading home from a left wing corner.

Wholesale changes midway through the second half saw the visitors take almost total control as some of the under 21 players saw first-hand how far they are going to have to progress to be involved at Level five and above. Football again was the winner at Oak Park as both sides showed why they are fancied to do well in their respective leagues this season.

Bill Shaw.
Walsall Wood F.C.

Impassioned, there. I like it – and passion is what this is all about. Cheers old chap. For the good of The Wood!

This entry was posted in Brownhills stuff, Environment, Events, Followups, Fun stuff to see and do, Local media, News, Reader enquiries, Shared media, Social Media, Walsall community, Walsall Wood stuff and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.