Woodmen bust Bolehall in Christmas cracker

Images and captions Kindly supplied by the young David Evans

Must say, it’s nice to be featuring reports of Walsall Wood FC getting back on their winning run – yesterday, Saturday 23rd December 2017 they travelled to Tamworth to face Bolehall, and after a good-spirited match they came away the victors, again by a considerable margin.

Bill Shaw sent the following report:

Hiya Bob,

Five goals and a clean sheet as Wood delivered an early Christmas present to their supporters, but the icing on the cake came with the defeat of Leicester Road by lowly Nuneaton Griff, a result that nobody could have foreseen.  Proving that there are no easy games in this division.

Thanks for the coverage, all the support and the good wishes health-wise, it’s all very much appreciated.

One thing to be sure of, the next four months are going to be exciting.

Keep the faith.

Bolehall Swifts 0 v 5 Walsall Wood

Back to normal service for the Wood, when Stan Mugisha fired home number five it was Woods’ 100th goal of the season in all competitions. An early Christmas present came with Nuneaton Griff winning 2-0 at Leicester Road cutting the gap at the top to five points still with four games in hand.

Within a minute Jake Humphries won the ball on halfway, ran on and fired a 30 yard effort into the top right hand corner, keeper Mathew Hill pushing the ball over the top.

Wonderfully professional match footage as ever,  from Russell Smith and The-wood.tv

On six minutes Aaron O’Neill raced onto a ball wide left, cut inside before hitting a near post drive that was pushed away by keeper Lloyd Ransome standing tall.

Four minutes later Humphries ran onto a ball into the right of the box, his low drive blocked. Fifteen minutes gone and Lee Butler won the ball wide left and fed Peter Till down the line, his cross headed goalwards by Sam Agar, Hill saving well.  8 minutes later Ransome launched a left wing free kick forwards, Paul Sullivan, reading the flight of the ball perfectly, ran on before coolly slotting the ball past the advancing Hill. Four minutes later Till cut inside from wide left, crossed for Humphries to hit first time, Hill with a superb point blank save. On 30 minutes Callum McFarlane played the ball forward into the box, Daniel Wain headed the ball out to Agar whose 25 yard rising drive was superbly saved by Hill at full stretch.

Seven minutes later O’Neill got clear wide left, cut inside and hit a rising near post drive that was well held by Ransome.

On 42 minutes a free kick left of the D by Jordan Fitzpatrick was too hot for Hill to put Wood two up.  Wood won the ball back from the restart and Till won a left wing corner. The flag kick bulleted home by the head of Agar.

Four minutes into the second half Agar was put clear by Humphries and he calmly slotted the ball past the advancing Hill.  A minute later Agar outpaced Wain through the centre, his low drive bouncing to safety off the foot of the left hand post.

On 54 minutes a neat move through the centre ended with substitute Kory Burke racing into the right of the box, Ransome making a great near post save.

Four minutes later McFarlane crossed from wide left to find Craig Deakin in the centre of the D, his shot back across goal going well wide.  An appalling misplaced crossfield pass put Agar clear to run into the box, Hill out bravely to save at his feet. Two minutes later Agar raced into the right of the box, rounded the keeper and from the byeline crossed for substitute Tony Clarke whose shot was blocked by a defender on the edge of the six yard box.  Fitzpatrick fired a 20 yard free kick wide on 67 minutes.

On 70 minutes a free kick on halfway was delivered into the Wood box, Wain powering in a header that was well held by Ransome.

On 80 minutes Fitzpatrick crossed from wide left, McFarlane headed the ball down to Agar to fire a first time effort inches wide. Four minutes later an intricate move inside from wide left ended with substitute Stan Mugisha firing home Woods 100th goal of the season from the centre of the box.

Wood were always in control and were well worth the win that took them back up to fourth place.  On Boxing Day Wood take on Stafford Town at home before they visit Lichfield City on the last Saturday of the year as they work on closing the gap to the top of the table.

Compliments of the season to everyone from Oak Park, the ML Safety Stadium.

Bill Shaw

The Teams:

Bolehall Swifts – Hill, B. O’Neill, McConerville, Forbes, Wain (captain), Dunlevy, A. O’Neill, Stokes, Smith, Jones, Heaton, Burke, Wainwright, Palmer, Wickett, Hurdman.

Walsall Wood – Ransome, Deakin, McFarlane, Butler, Hurren, Tolley (captain), Till, Humphries, Sullivan, Agar, Fitzpatrick, Clarke, Walker, Mugisha, Hayden.

There’s always good footy at Walsall Wood, and thanks to Bill, David and Russell for the reports and media – Merry Christmas and a winning new yer to you all, and to all the Wood faithful.

This entry was posted in Brownhills stuff, Environment, Events, Followups, Fun stuff to see and do, Local media, News, Reader enquiries, Shared media, Social Media, Walsall community, Walsall Wood stuff and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.