Wood wiped out by Coventry blitz


Sphinx Drive: scene for a tragedy. Image form Pitchero.

Walsall Wood FC were away to Coventry Sphinx yesterday afternoon (Saturday, 15th April 2017), and despite holding their own for the first half, things rapidly deteriorated in the second.

Bill Shaw has submitted an excellent match report, as he always does, and as ever he hasn’t minced his words.

Bill wrote:

Hiya Bob,

An unrealistic score line thanks to the diabolical sending off of Liam Molesworth in the 35th minute that left Wood with a mountain to climb.

They went behind right on the stroke of half time to a fortuitous goal so had to chase the game in the second half and paid the penalty as Sphinx made the extra man pay.

The defeat drops us two places but 3 points from our last 3 games should make us mathematically safe.

Highgate United away on Easter Monday, kick off 3.00 pm followed by my last home game against Heanor Town on Saturday 22nd, please do come along and say goodbye.


Coventry Sphinx 4 v 0 Walsall Wood

For the second season in succession Wood went down to a controversial defeat, with the teams level on 35 minutes Wood lost Liam Molesworth to a straight red card. A fortuitous goal on the stroke of half time put Sphinx ahead and they made sure of the points with three second half goals to keep the pressure on tenants Coventry United.

Sphinx made inroads into the Wood half from the kick off but quickly lost the ball which was played up to Drew Aiton wide left, he cut inside and his swinging cross shot was just wide.

On three minutes a crossfield ball from Lewis Hudson picked out Nathan McGarrity wide right, he cut inside and fired over the bar. Ten minutes gone Jamie Towers got away wide right, his cross headed tamely wide by Pierce Kiembi.

A minute later Drew Aiton found Josh Mansell who immediately released Ricardo Ricketts into the left of box but he was shepherded wide by Darren Eggleton. On 15 minutes Joey Butlin won the ball on halfway, ran on and fed Liam Molesworth wide right, his low cross cut out by Eggleton. On 27 minutes a left wing free kick was headed over his own bar by Eggleton to deny Butlin. Five minutes later a long ball into the right of the box was collected at pace by Molesworth, keeper Scott Dutton saving bravely at his feet. Forty minutes gone, Leon Taylor out-jumped the keeper on the right of the box to head goal-wards, Eggleton back to hack clear, the ball ricocheting off Butlin and just wide of the left hand post.  Wood now down to 10 men after the controversial dismissal of Molesworth were put under pressure, McGarrity working hard wide right to get in a cross that was swirling in the gusting wind, keeper Tom Millership touching the ball onto the bar, it dropped kindly for Towers to fire home from three yards. Seconds later Wood failed to clear a ball into the left of the box, it fell for Towers to hit first time, Millership diving full length to his left to make a superb full length save.

On 53 minutes Callum Woodward raced onto a ball into the left of the box, his rising drive crashing off the underside of the bar before being hacked clear. Four minutes later a crossfield ball was misread by a defender allowing McGarrity to run on and fire into the top right hand corner.  The clock at 63 minutes saw a long ball forward clear the Wood defence, Millership racing from his box to kick clear from Towers. On 75 minutes McGarrity won the ball right of centre, his through ball put Towers in on goal to calmly slot home number three. Two minutes later Rhys Deehan dispossessed a defender wide left and raced into the box, he laid the ball square to Towers who headed over. A minute later it was McGarrity crossing from wide left, Towers hitting a first time drive that was pushed away by Millership. On 83 minutes McGarrity saw his low drive cleared off the line, the ball out to Reece Blackmore who fired into the left hand corner of the net through a packed penalty area. Right on time from a left wing corner Millership denied Towers his hat-trick when he somehow kept out his powerful header.

Sphinx Park has proved an unhappy hunting ground for Wood over recent seasons, today was no exception.  It’s a game of opinions but I can’t believe that we are always in the wrong when we set foot in Coventry, but sometimes there just ain’t no justice.

Bill Shaw

The Teams:

Coventry Sphinx – Dutton, Lower (captain), Hudson, Cairns, Eggleton, McCalla, McGarrity, Woodward, Towers, Kiembi, Blackmore Deehan, Taylor Zefi, Williams, Cromes.

Walsall Wood – Millership, Adams, Deakin, L. Harris, Williams, Bains, Molesworth, Mansell, Butlin (captain), Aiton, Ricketts, Henry Harris, Brooks, Taylor, Bland, Taylor Boyce.

Thanks to Bill, for an honest, entertaining and very fan-focussed match report, as ever. Really an honour to feature them here.

Check out Walsall Wood FC’s website here.

This entry was posted in Brownhills stuff, Environment, Events, Followups, Fun stuff to see and do, Local media, News, Reader enquiries, Shared media, Social Media, Walsall community, Walsall Wood stuff and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.