Walsall Wood leave Long Eaton United smited


The Grange, home of Long Eaton who were soundly beaten by Walsall Wood on Tuesday. Image from the 92.net.

Walsall Wood FC took the trip to Long Eaton on Tuesday evening (Tuesday 5th September  2016), and the Woodmen were well on form, beating the home side in a great match.

Bill Shaw was there for all the action, and sent the following match report:

Hiya Bob,

A superb all round performance with everyone playing their part as the guys stayed patient knowing the breakthrough would eventually come. The two goals were straight out of the top drawer, ironically coming after the hosts should have taken the lead with O’Connor clean through and hitting the post.

The win sees us equal on 15 points with leaders Westfields, (albeit with them having played three games fewer than us,) who face their first big test tonight (Wednesday) when Alvechurch are the visitors. Next Tuesday is another test for them when they visit The Wood.

It’s F.A. Vase action next for us with the ‘local’ 60 mile trip to Oswestry on Saturday – incidentally a coach leaves the ground at 11.15 am prompt if anyone is interested.

Long Eaton United 0 v 2 Walsall Wood

A performance of quality and character from Wood as 2 late goals from Drew Aiton and Corey Currithers saw them come away from Grange Park with all three points.  The win takes them equal on points with Leaders Westfields, who play Alvechurch tomorrow.

It was Wood looking sharp who began well, on 5 minutes a first time low drive from Drew Aiton was well held by keeper Oliver Cammidge.  Aiton turned provider five minutes later crossing to the far post from the right edge of the box, Karl Edwards heading back across the keeper and past the left hand post.  They combined again three minutes later, this time Edwards hitting a first time effort just over.  Next it was Lewis Taylor Boyce winning the ball in the right hand corner and finding Luke Adams, his ball across the face of the box hit first time by Louis Harris and bravely blocked by Carl Sibson.

A minute later from the left edge of the box Aiton’s low first time drive flew wide – just.  23 minutes gone and a lovely move through the centre saw Taylor Boyce set up Edwards, his shot was blocked but Craig Deakin was first to the loose ball and fired a first time effort narrowly wide.  To complete almost total dominance for the first 25 minutes Wood put pressure on the centre of the defence, Louis Harris putting a snap shot wide.

On 27 minutes Ben Watkiss got clear on the home right, crossed into the centre Jeremy O’Connor off balance acrobatically rolling his shot wide of the left post.

It was quickly back to Wood in control, Adams released Taylor Boyce wide right, he cut inside through two tackles, laid the ball back to Aiton who fired first time over the near angle.  On 33 minutes Lee Parsons intercepted a ball forward and put Aiton away through the centre, skipper Paolo Piliero saving the hosts with a superbly timed tackle.  Aiton had another shot blocked on 38 minutes before five minutes later a long ball forward was collected by Kevin Hemagou on the penalty spot, but under pressure he fell over.

United tried to take the game to Wood at the start of the second half with Hemgou and Watkiss prominent, but when they did get past the Wood defence keeper Curtis Pond was in great form.

On 52 minutes Harry Harris came out of defence with the ball, ran at the home back line and fed Aiton left of the box, his low drive went through keeper Cammidge who dived on the ball before it crossed the line.

A minute later Watkiss set up Hemagou on the right of the box, only for him to fire a cross shot wide.

Wood continued to press forward, Adams had a goalbound effort blocked and Taylor Boyce crossed from wide right, Sibson heading behind to deny the hard working Edwards.

As we entered the last quarter it was nearly the home side who broke the deadlock, Hemagou hitting a superb 50 yard crossfield ball to pick out Watkiss on the right of the box, his first time near post low drive superbly pushed around the post by Pond.  On 73 minutes O’Connor raced onto a ball through the Wood defence, he made the box and his low drive bounced away to safety off the left handpost with Pond beaten.

This proved pivotal as 4 minutes later a flowing move through the centre ended with Louis Harris playing the ball square right to Aiton who scored with a fierce first time drive, Wood looked in control and then on 86 minutes Aiton played a ball down the left touchline, a defender was first to the ball but was then mugged by Corey Currithers who raced into the box and buried the ball past the exposed keeper.

Wood worked hard for the victory, playing some quality football into the bargain.  They had a bit of luck but thoroughly deserved the win.

Bill Shaw. 

The Teams:

Long Eaton United – Cammidge, Cole, Riley, Lister, Sibson, Piliero (captain), Watkiss, Todd, Rodway, Hemagou, O’Connor, Joynes, T. Marshall, Towey, A. Marshall, Sucharewyz.

Walsall Wood – Pond, Adams, Deakin, Boothe, Birch, Parsons, L. Harris, H. Harris (captain), Edwards, Aiton, Taylor Boyce, Beckett, Currithers, Taylor, Faultless.

Thanks to Bill for checking in with us – and good luck to the Woodmen.

What more can I add, but For The Good of the Wood!

This entry was posted in Brownhills stuff, Events, Followups, Fun stuff to see and do, Local media, News, Reader enquiries, Shared media, Social Media, Spotted whilst browsing the web, Walsall community, Walsall Wood stuff and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.