Woodmen lose their mojo to Coleshill

Images and captions by the young David Evans, still clearly bearing a grudge over astroturf.

Walsall Wood FC disappointed the fans yesterday (Saturday 27th August 2016) when they lost to Coleshill Town at Oak Park.

Just a quick note to say that I support Bill’s right to be as frank as he pleases here – think on, people. Your appreciation of that is expected.

Bill Shaw was there, and isn’t mincing his words…

Hiya Bob,

Well Bob, it wasn’t exactly a Saturday horror show like last week’s game but we did transpire to shoot ourselves in the foot – again.

The defeat drops us down to fifth with four away games now on the bounce, booze ups and breweries spring to mind – but heyho, what the hell it’s Khalsa Monday, AFC Wulfs on Saturday before we travel to Long Eaton in midweek and then Oswestry Town on Saturday week in the FA Vase.

Our next scheduled home game is a little easy one against current leaders Westfields, four wins out of four so far, so should be a walk in the park.

It would appear I’ve managed to upset someone with a comment on the blog after the Brocton game. You know what, for God’s sake get a life. No names no pack drill, you know who you are.

Let’s hope the game at Khalsa is sporting.

Walsall Wood 1 v 2 Coleshill Town

A strange game inasmuch as Wood probably shaded the first half but went in two goals down at half time, they then lost Louis Harris in the 50th minute to a second yellow card. Coleshill dominated the rest of the half but it was Wood who pulled a goal back from the penalty spot from Drew Aiton on 90 minutes.

Wood put the visitors under pressure from the start, on five minutes Nick Wright wide left played the ball inside to drew Aiton, his rising drive to the far post bringing a full stretch save from keeper Paul Hathaway. From the right wing corner the ball was only half cleared to Wright on the edge of the box to hit a first time effort just over. On 14 minutes Harry Harris played a right wing free kick down the line to Lewis Taylor Boyce, his ball into the centre of the box found Joey Butlin who was quickly crowded out by a posse of defenders.

After weathering the initial 15 minute storm the visitors ventured forward but against the run of play they went ahead on 20 minutes, Josh Quaynor raced clear wide left, went through 2 tackles before hitting a low cross to find Luke Barlone just outside the centre of the box, his low drive just inside the left hand post giving keeper Curtis Pond no chance,. Wood were instantly put back under pressure failing to clear the ball on the left of the box, Quaynor sending a low cross shot whistling wide through a packed box.

On 23 minutes Harry Harris was strong on halfway, found Wright in the right of the box who turned inside and fired over the near angle. Wood should have equalised a minute later, Aiton came in from the left and crossed beyond the far post for Luke Adams to head back across goal to find Taylor Boyce in the centre who somehow contrived to hit a shot off the top of the bar from 6 yards out.

With 31 minutes gone and Reece Leek powered inside from wide right, his vicious cross shot blocked at full stretch by Richard Huckfield. 10 minutes later a defensive mistake in midfield presented Leek with the ball 40 yards out, he raced past a flat footed defence, calmly rounded the advancing Pond and rolled the ball into the net.

Karl Edwards replaced the injured Butlin at halftime as Wood attempted to get back into the game.   After two minutes from a left wing corner the ball was played out to Aiton whose first time piledriver was bravely blocked.

Back came Leek, racing clear wide right firing a ball across the face of the six yard box, that was missed by everyone, but was collected by Barlone on the left edge of the box, he returned the ball into the centre to find Shane Benjamin whose first time low drive was pushed around the left hand post by Pond at full stretch. Six minutes later Tom Wheale went on a 50 yard right to left crossfield run, he played a neat one-two with Benjamin then laid the ball back into the path of Gavin Hurren to fire over the left angle. Wood now down to 10 after Louis Harris picked up a second yellow were struggling to contain the pacey Leek, he raced clear again wide right on 60 minutes, made the byeline and cut the ball back to substitute Dean Rathbone, his first time rising drive well held by Pond. Three minutes later a neat one touch move across the face of the Wood box from right to left ended with Leek’s first time effort comfortably saved.

On 69 minutes Wood still in the game attacked down the left, Craig Deakin’s ball inside was collected at pace by Aiton, Hathaway at full stretch saving his low drive.

Two minutes later Town sub Simeon Cobourne got clear wide right, crossed in low to find Benjamin whose first time effort was blocked by Huckfield. 75 minutes gone and Wheale’s superb 60 yard crossfield ball picked out Cobourne wide left, he cut inside and fired just over. On 77 minutes a long ball forward by Pond was half cleared to Harris who instantly found Taylor Boyce in the centre of the box, he evaded three tackles but saw his goalbound effort deflected the wrong side of the post. With the final whistle imminent, Shawn Boothe powered his way into the left of the box and was brought down – penalty – Aiton making no mistake from the spot.

There wasn’t time for Wood to mount a grandstand finish as the final whistle went shortly afterwards.

Once again against Coleshill it was a case of what might have been it was certainly a flattering halftime score line. Wood did well to keep the score at two after the early second half dismissal of Louis Harris but struggled to make inroads into a well organised defence.

The penalty was too late to affect the outcome leaving Wood to rue those first half chances but that’s football, you don’t always get what you deserve.

Bill Shaw

The Teams:

Walsall Wood – Pond, Adams, Deakin, Boothe, Huckfield, L Harris, Aiton, H. Harris (captain), Butlin, Wright, Taylor Boyce, Hayles, Edwards, Currithers, Griffiths, Taylor.

Coleshill Town – Hathaway, Gonzales, Quaynor, Wheale, Hurren, Brooks, Leek, Garvey, Benjamin (captain), Barlone, Dainty, Cobourne, Rathbone, Evans, Jarra, Bickley.

As ever, thanks to Bill for the report – always appreciated – for The Good of the Wood!

This entry was posted in Brownhills stuff, Environment, Events, Followups, Fun stuff to see and do, Local media, News, Reader enquiries, Shared media, Social Media, Walsall community, Walsall Wood stuff and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Woodmen lose their mojo to Coleshill

  1. David Evans says:

    Hi Bob
    many thanks to you and to Bill Shaw for the excellent presentation and the comprehensive match report.
    It was also good to see local author and former WWFC head chief Brian Stringer, aka Clayhanger Kid,who came to enjoy, and perhaps occasionally gasp, at the spectacle.
    kind regards

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.