Walsall wood meet Quorn substitutes

Images and captions kindly supplied by David Evans

Last Saturday afternoon (Saturday, 9th January 2016), Walsall Wood F.C. faced Quorn F.C. away, and after an oddly challenging match, the Woodmen came away the victors.

Reporting today are the Young David Evans and his son Simon, standing in for Bill Shaw who’s a bit groggy at the moment. Our best wishes to Bill for a speedy recovery, and my thanks to Simon and David for filling Bill’s shoes so wonderfully.

Simon wrote:

Hi Bob

This was the Woods first match of 2016.

Wood kicked off in the away strip of all blue. The first few minutes saw attack followed by counter attack. Wood had the first shot on goal – Dan Grifiths started the game brightly, in the first few minutes a nice ball by Joey to Dan and the Quorn keeper was forced to make a smart save. The resulting corner was cleared. 10 minutes and nice play between Joey and Deaks resulted in Harry’s header just over the bar.

Quorn responded when their free kick went straight to Walsall Wood’s keeper. Two minutes later a great last ditch tackle by the Wood defender stopped another Quorn attack.

Fifteen minutes and Luke had a free header after yet more Wood pressure resulting a great save by Quorn keeper. The next attack saw great interplay with woods 4-9-7 resulting in a last ditch tackle, after which Dan then had a great run and shot at the keeper. Quorn took play straight up the other end, but Wood cleared and yet another counter attack. With the next corner Walsall  Wood’s no 4 had a free header just over the bar. Then Wood scored following a Boyce shot, the rebound was put in over for the official to flag for offside.

The last action of the first half saw Wood dominating the midfield but couldn’t find the goal they so richly deserved.

Half time 0-0 somehow…

The second half started with Quorn player 16 replacing 9. Wood started the second half as they did the first – attacking, winning corners, headers and shots just over the bar. Then Joey showed his strength holding off Quorn defenders only to be fouled. The free kick was cleared and from the counter attack Quorn scored.

A nasty tackle on Dan saw him limp off with a nasty cut on his shin to be replaced by Corey, then another substitution saw Drew come on, replacing Captain Harry. Within minutes Wood were level. A melee in the box and Luke pounced: 1-1.

Soon after Wood made their final substitution with Ben replacing Boycey. Corey then had a great shot superbly tipped over by the Quorn keeper. From the resulting corner, Corey leapt highest and a great header nestled in the back of the net. 2-1 to Wood.

Quorn then made another sub – 17 on, 6 off. Wood held on for a well deserved 3 points in a highly enjoyable match.

MPL  have the attendance as 139.

Thanks to Simon and David for the report – much appreciated – for The Good of the Wood!

This entry was posted in Brownhills stuff, Environment, Events, Followups, Fun stuff to see and do, Local media, News, Reader enquiries, Shared media, Social Media, Walsall community, Walsall Wood stuff and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Walsall wood meet Quorn substitutes

  1. David Evans says:

    Hi Bob
    Love the title! Thanks for the fine presentation.
    Quorn were outfoxed!

  2. Dave (Eddy) Edwards says:

    Thanks all…..worth the wait.

Leave a Reply to David Evans Cancel reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.