Walsall Wood find little meat in Quorn

`David Evans sadly wasn’t able to make the match this week due to prior commitments, but he delegated to his son, Simon, who did an excellent job behind the lens – cheers, Simon!

Bill Shaw kindly submitted the following match report:

Hiya Bob,

A comfortable win for Wood as they took their unbeaten run to five games. A goal each from Drew Aiton and leading scorer Dan Griffiths had put Wood in the driving seat, only for the visitors to pull a goal back three minutes from time. Aiton settled Wood nerves two minutes later to put the game beyond them.

As the injury list improves the battle for starting places hots up, the players who have filled in during the crisis have done a great job, which bodes well for the future of the Wood.

Can we wish Sporting Khalsa all the best in their blockbuster home tie in the FA Cup next Saturday against FC United of Manchester? Go get ‘em Rowey, show them what the West Midland are made of!

[Bill has asked me to add that the home game against Sporting Khalsa on 31st October has been moved to Tuesday 17th November kick off 7.45 pm at the Wood – Bob]

Walsall Wood 3 v 1 Quorn

A good win for Wood who consolidated their place in the top 10 with a brace from Drew Aiton and another goal from leading scorer Dan Griffiths.

It was the visitors who threatened first when on three minutes Will Richards raced away wide left, his low cross hit first time wide of the near post by Liam Turner.

Grant Beckett intercepted a ball on halfway and played the ball out left to Corey Currithers who cut inside, his crossfield ball found Joey Butlin right of the box to hit a first time shot wide. Two minutes later it was Butlin collecting a ball wide left releasing the overlapping Steven Hayles down the line, he cut inside firing a low cross shot wide. On 10 minutes a long clearance down the centre was headed on by Butlin, keeper Ryan Thacker racing out of his area to kick clear from Drew Aiton.

On 15 minutes a neat one touch move down the left by the visitors ended with Richards cutting inside before firing into the side netting.

Five minutes later a quickly taken free kick wide left released Butlin, he cut inside but his low cross was cut out by skipper Jimmy Brooks.

Another free kick to the visitors on 26 minutes just left of centre, 30 yards out was fired over the wall by Callum Thompson, keeper Lee Evans making the save look easy.

Wood went ahead on 31 minutes, clever hold up play by Butlin on the right of the box saw him pull the ball back to Dan Griffiths to hit first time, keeper Thacker finger-tipping the ball onto his right hand post, Drew Aiton in quickly to fire home the loose ball. A minute later Richards raced clear wide left for the visitors, his far post cross fired first time wide by Thompson.

On 38 minutes the visitors put the Wood defence under intense pressure, but they held out, the closest to a goal came when a deflected cross dropped for Jacob Wright to hit a first time effort over. Then four minutes later from a Quorn left wing free kick Craig Deakin headed the ball back to Evans, the keeper having to collect the ball at the feet of Liam Turner.

Wood were content to just play the ball around without ever looking like scoring at the start of the second half, until on 61 minutes sloppy defending let in Leavi Oshungbure and Liam Turner, he fed Callum Thompson, Evans saving his goalbound effort at the second attempt.

It was midfield stalemate until on 75 minutes a diagonal ball wide left over the top of the Wood defence was collected at pace by Richards, who cut inside and his dipping drive landed on the roof of the net.

An interception in centre midfield by Anthony Juxon three minutes later saw him race forward before releasing Griffiths into the left of the box, his vicious cross shot cut out by Brooks. A minute later a powerful run into the left of the box by Butlin saw him make the six yard box, before laying the ball right for Griffiths to fire home.

On 87 minutes Wood were unable to get the ball away as the visitors put them under pressure, the ball finding its way to Simon Alcott to hit a 20 yard first time drive into the roof of the net.

Any chance of a late comeback was snuffed out when on 89 minutes a neat move into the right of the box ended with Aiton clinically drilling home his second and Wood’s third goal to put the game out of reach of the visitors.

Wood continue to move in the right direction, with this comfortable victory as they consolidate their top 10 spot in the table. Next it’s away to Coleshill Town on Saturday 24th on the new artificial pitch, an interesting contest in prospect.

Bill Shaw.

Thanks to Bill and Simon for the report, and may the Woodmen’s good form continue!

For The Good of the Wood!

This entry was posted in Brownhills stuff, Environment, Events, Followups, Fun stuff to see and do, Local media, News, Reader enquiries, Shared media, Social Media, Walsall community, Walsall Wood stuff and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.