Eaton beaten by Woodmen

Images and captions kindly supplied by David Evans

Walsall Wood FC took the trip to Long Eaton yesterday (18th April 2015), and the Woodmen returned to form, beating the home side.

Bill Shaw caught all the action, and sent the following match report:

Hiya Bob,

A hard won three points, another double over one of the league’s high fliers, but more to the point it puts us into fourth place for the first time in our history. With three games still to go, we have beaten last seasons total by two points.

It was another great advert for the inaugural Midland League with both sides playing open, entertaining football. We now only need to win our last three games to be certain of the third place, but Westfields on Tuesday night, Coleshill Town on Thursday night away are not going to give us anything, so if we make it, we will have deserved it.

Can I congratulate Basford United on winning the title with a game to spare, they beat us 3-1 in both games, when we played well, definitely the best side we have played this season, so well done guys, over the nine months you’ve deserved it. Good Luck in Level Four.

So it’s two very difficult away games left, Westfields and Coleshill Town, never easy places to come away with a win, so come on you Reds!

Long Eaton United 1 v 2 Walsall Wood

A goal five minutes from time by Shawn Boothe gave Wood the points to move ever closer to third place, it was a frustrating afternoon for both sides with some mystifying decisions confusing players and fans alike.

An early right wing move by Wood involving Luke Adams and Ben Evans saw Joey Butlin hit a first time low drive whistling inches wide.

It didn’t take United long to threaten, Ben Watkis flicked a header into the left of the box to put Daryl Thomas in on goal, Shawn Boothe with a superb saving tackle. Three minutes later a long ball forward found Watkis on the right of the box, his first time fierce drive pushed round his left hand post by keeper Mario Kisiel.

On 10 minutes an intricate move from the back by Wood saw Harry Harris run at the defence from halfway before threading a ball through the home defence right of centre to find Corey Currithers who ran on and calmly slotted the ball beyond the advancing Scott Low.

Within two minutes the home side were level, a long ball forward wide left was won by a Wood defender, who under pressure from Thomas mishit his pass back to Kisiel, the striker racing onto the ball and firing across Kisiel into the far corner.

On 21 minutes Butlin charged clear wide right, his ball inside was hit first time by Evans, Low pushing the ball away, but only to Evans again whose shot was blocked, Currithers first to the loose ball, his low drive blocked by David Boafo. A minute later Max Black was fouled just in the D, Butlin’s free kick saved low to his left by Low.

A period of home pressure yielded a right wing corner on 28 minutes, Ross Parker powering a header inches too high.

On 35 minutes Currithers wide left, cut inside through three tackles only for Boafo to save United with a superb challenge to come away with the ball. The last goal mouth action came four minutes later, Evans powered into the box from wide right before going down under a challenge from behind, confident penalty appeals ignored.

The first chance of the second half saw United substitute Tom Cooper-Richards make space wide right, he pulled the ball back to Thomas to fire first time over. Three minutes later Butlin pressured a defender into a mistake wide right before cutting inside, Low at full stretch saving his rising drive. It was Butlin again four minutes later collecting a ball wide right, he cut inside and his shot was deflected wide, the corner easily cleared. It was Butlin again on 71 minutes racing into the centre of the box, his rising drive bringing a big hand ball shout that was waved away.

Having weathered the storm back came United when 2 minutes later Brad Wells crossed from wide right to the far post, Watkis putting a weak header wide. It was Wells five minutes later firing a low cross into the Wood box, a scramble developed but the Wood defence held firm.

Back came Wood and two minutes later Currithers powered in from wide left, his rising drive hitting a defender, another loud hand ball appeal ignored. Justice was done when five minutes later Evans won a right wing corner that was headed behind at the far post by Parker, Harris delivered the ball from the left wing corner, Parker was first to the ball, his header deflecting off the head of Shawn Boothe and into the net.

The win puts Wood up to fourth and now within touching distance of third. Whatever happens, it’s Wood’s highest ever placing, can they go even higher?

Bill Shaw.

Thanks to Bill for checking in with us – and good luck to the Woodmen for the next two games. Myself, the good folk who contribute to the blog and all the readers are rooting for you!

What more can I add, but For The Good of the Wood!

This entry was posted in Brownhills stuff, Events, Followups, Fun stuff to see and do, Local media, News, Reader enquiries, Shared media, Social Media, Spotted whilst browsing the web, Walsall community, Walsall Wood stuff and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Eaton beaten by Woodmen

  1. Dave (Eddy) Edwards says:

    Thank you all again for report & photos

  2. David Evans says:

    HI Bob
    thanks to Bill for this and all his super, accurate and unbiased match reports. Yes, congratulations to Basford..very good side and pleasant club folk…as with Long Eaton, of course.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.