Walsall Wood brave, but blocked by Basford

Photos and captions from yesterday’s Basford match kindly supplied by David Evans

Yesterday afternoon (Saturday 21st March 2015) Walsall Wood travelled to Nottingham to square off against Basford United, who they lost to at Oak Park a couple of weeks ago. Sadly, the Wood failed to reverse the situation, but put up a brave show against the league leaders.

Bill Shaw submitted the following match report:

Hiya Bob,

Another battling performance by the Wood, I make no apologies for quoting word for word from the Basford programme about the game a week last Tuesday.

‘Walsall Wood that night showed exactly what they are capable of with a first half performance that ranks as one of the best against us all season. Only some dogged defending and to be honest, a slice of luck, ensured we reached half time in front. The match was great entertainment and we look forward to the same today.’

Well we weren’t disappointed in the quality of the game, only the result. Basford took the three points but it could so easily have gone against them, the contest was that close. The difference being we don’t have a ball magnet like Ruben Wiggins-Thomas who could be found from anywhere on the field. Let’s face it, his goal tally is unbelievable and he’s still a few games to go, question is can he make 50 for the season?

Next up for Wood it’s Alvechurch at Oak Park on Tuesday night 27th March. Because of ongoing ground work there is NO VEHICULAR ACCESS TO THE GROUND AFTER MONDAY 26TH MARCH 2015 – sorry everyone.

Next Saturday it’s Westfield the visitors, vehicular access should be back to normal for this game.

Basford Unted 3 v 1 Walsall Wood

Wood again gave Champions elect Basford United a run for their money, with them 2-1 down and pressing for an equaliser a miskick out of defence was presented to Ruben Wiggins-Thomas who immediately released Ryan Whitehurst who raced into the box to slot home goal No. 3 and condemn Wood to their first double defeat of the season and with Coleshill and Long Eaton losing extend Basford’s lead to six points.

Wood started the better, after just a minute Corey Currithers crossed from the left to find Max Black, his first time low drive deflecting off a defender and just clearing the bar. A minute later a ball inside was collected at full pace by Black, his low drive just wide. On four minutes a powerful forward header by Anthony Juxon was touched back by Joey Butlin to Harry Harris to fire a rising first time effort just too high. From a right wing corner on seven minutes the ball was played short to Craig Deakin, his low cross cut out by Daniel Fletcher, Jamie Sauntson onto the loose ball, Fletcher blocking his shot.

Having weathered the storm Basford forced a left wing corner, Rob Darkin seeing his header come back off a defender to Ryan Whitehurst, his first time shot blocked by Deakin. Disaster for Wood when on 12 minutes a quickly taken free kick on halfway put Ruben Wiggins-Thomas racing into the centre of the box only to be brought down from behind by Lee Stretton. No argument about the penalty, Wiggins-Thomas from the spot 1-0.

Four minutes later skipper Deon Meikle ghosted in to head just wide from a left wing corner.

Wood went close two minutes later, Butlin was fouled 25 yards out, he took the free kick himself, the ball deflecting off the wall, Saul Deeney tipping the ball over. The corner was headed just wide by Stretton. Five minutes later Currithers won the ball on halfway, his ball through the defence just eluding Black, Deeney saving bravely. An awful mistake in midfield let in Joshua Thornton who raced into the left of the box, keeper Mario Kisiel with a brave full length save.

Black hit a 25 yard low drive wide on 31 minutes and seven minutes later a 20 yard Butlin free kick was tipped over by Deeney at full stretch. The corner easily cleared.

The home side had the last word, Wiggins-Thomas capitalising on a bounce off Stretton on halfway and racing for goal, Stretton racing back to push the ball behind for a right wing corner. The flag kick to the near post powered home from the head of Darkin.

It was all Wood from the restart, pressuring the home side into attempted hurried clearances, but on 48 minutes with the ball flying around the box Black took charge to hammer the ball into the roof of the net, to put Wood right back in the contest.

The goal galvanised the home side into action, Wiggins-Thomas racing clear on 54 minutes, Kisiel racing from his line to make another superb full length save. Two minutes later Kisiel denying him again with another great save. Then Wiggins-Thomas put Ben Fairclough into the left of the box, he set up Stuart Hendrie at the far post who stabbed the ball wide. It was Wiggins-Thomas racing into the right of the box on 62 minutes, another great save from Kisiel denying him.

A minute later Deakin came in at pace from wide right but was fouled just outside the box, Harris saw his free kick collected at the second attempt by keeper Deeney.

Then a rampaging right wing run by Jahred Russell saw him cut inside, his low far post just in front of Whitehurst. A miskick from the resulting goal kick went straight to Wiggins-Thomas who instantly released Whitehurst into the right of the box to run on and hammer the ball past the advancing Kisiel.

Wood tried to get back into the game but just couldn’t make the all important breakthrough that would have made the last few minutes intriguing. Then right on 90 minutes Russell raced into the right of the box, turned his marker inside out and fired a rising drive over the far angle. Now that would have been an injustice had it gone in.

This is Wood’s second season at this level, Basford United are the first side to do the double over them in 72 games, it says how good the Champions elect are – enough said.

Bill Shaw
Walsall Wood F.C.

Walsall Wood are a good team and an excellent, community-spirited club. They need and deserve

our support.

As ever, thanks to Bill for the report – always appreciated – for The Good of the Wood!

This entry was posted in Brownhills stuff, Events, Followups, Fun stuff to see and do, Local media, News, Reader enquiries, Shared media, Social Media, Spotted whilst browsing the web, Walsall community, Walsall Wood stuff and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Walsall Wood brave, but blocked by Basford

  1. David Evans says:

    Hi Bob
    a big thanks to Bill and to yourself for this match report and excellent presentation. The Wood certainly gave Basford a run for their money

  2. Dave (Eddy) Edwards says:

    Thanks Bob, Bill and David….For these reports/photos

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.