Woodmen scrape past AFC Bridgnorth in high-scoring nailbiter…

Yesterday afternoon,  (Saturday, 1st November 2014), Walsall Wood FC faced AFC Bridgnorth at home, and yet another sporting, closely matched and high scoring game followed.

Don’t forget this evening (Sunday 2nd November 2014) there’s a bonfire and firework extravaganza at Oak Park. A great night out for all the family!

Bill Shaw submitted the following match report:

Hiya Bob,

It’s Wood through to the next round courtesy of another dying seconds win over West Midland Premier League opposition, both sides made light of the tricky conditions but Wood probably just edged a competitive, sporting encounter.

Walsall Wood 3 V 2 AFC Bridgnorth
F.A.Vase First Round

The only goalmouth action of the first half hour came 7 minutes in, a headed ball flicked on by Joey Butlin to find Leon Taylor to race into the right of the box, keeper Chris Crook with a brave block save.

Mario Kisiel cut out a cross to deny Liam Bood on 30 minutes, Glyn Coney fired over the angle 2 minutes later and then skipper Andy Hartlebury glanced a header just wide from a right wing corner.

Wood controlled the last 10 minutes of the half, Taylor firing high over, Butlin firing a free kick into the wall then hitting the rebound inches wide. Right on half time Scott Cooper put a header back across goal and then Crooks denied Taylor with a full length save to push the ball around his left hand post. A short corner was played in to Cooper in the right of the box, he was flattened as the referee blew for half time, very very lucky Bridgnorth.

A minute into the second half, Max Black was fouled 25 yards out, Butlin’s free kick bounced down off the underside of the bar, Corey Currithers first to react to nod the ball home from close range.

The visitors equalised on 58 minutes, Anwar racing clear wide right firing a cross into the centre that Kisiel couldn’t hold, Karl Griffiths first to the loose ball to tap home the equaliser. Within a minute Wood were back in front, Evans was fouled on the right edge of the box, Butlin delivered the ball into the centre for Taylor to bullet a header home.

Wood went looking for the third goal but were caught out on 80 minutes, a long ball out of defence sailed over the Wood defence, Griffiths bringing the ball down, advancing on goal and lobbing the stranded Kisiel to tie the game up at 2 all. Wood not relishing another 30 minutes of extra time finished strongly, Aiton firing inches wide on 89 minutes and then 4 minutes into injury time Steven Hayles broke up an attack and found Forrest on halfway, his ball forward was flicked into the left of the box by Butlin to find Aiton, he cut inside only for his low drive to be blocked, he collected the rebound, calmly went outside a defender before curling a lovely effort into the far bottom corner.

So it’s Walsall Wood into Monday’s draw for the next round on Saturday 22nd. In the meantime it’s a visit to Halesowen against Causeway United on Tuesday before next Saturday when long time leaders Basford United with the Hendrie brothers are at Oak Park on Saturday 8th.

Bill Shaw

My thanks to Bill for a great report – and for all those he selflessly writes and send to me after every match. They really are popular, and a credit to Bill and the club. Walsall Wood have a reputation for being a great, community spirited group of people and these reports demonstrate that – it’s an honour and joy to feature them here.

For the good of the Wood!

This entry was posted in Brownhills stuff, Events, Followups, Fun stuff to see and do, Local media, News, Reader enquiries, Shared media, Social Media, Spotted whilst browsing the web, Walsall community, Walsall Wood stuff and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.