Walsall Wood FC v Causeway United FC – a respetable draw

Yesterday, to great relief, Walsall Wood FC finally got their first football match of 2014, at The Grove, against Causeway United. The Woodmen dodged the weather and held the Halesowen lads to a respectable 2-2 draw.

Bill Shaw was there as ever, and sent in the following mach report.

the grove 1

Causeway United play at the wonderful Halesowen Town club – The Grove in Old Hawne Lane. Image from Halesowen Town FC’s website.

Hi Bob,

Walsall Wood 2 v 2 Causeway United

Well we finally managed to make our 2014 debut, slotting a game in between weather fronts. It was no easy resumption to the restart of our season, with a visit to Causeway United, 9 – 0 conquerors away at Gornal Athletic on Tuesday night.

With the 6 week lay-off Wood looked decidely rusty in the first few minutes and after just 8 minutes the Home side went ahead, from a left wing corner Joey Butlin. Under intense pressure, he palmed the ball into his own net, and after a consultation with his assistant the Referee let the goal stand. It got worse on 17 minutes, a free kick from halfway caused consternation in the Wood box and with Wood defenders screaming hand ball Todd Evans bundled the ball home from close range.

Wood regrouped and started to come into the game with Lewis Taylor Boyce and Max Black having long range efforts. Butlin made amends for his earlier error when on 40 minutes he held the ball up superbly in the box, before calmly setting up Black to hit a rising drive into the roof of the net. Three minutes later an unseemly freee for all ended with each team having a player sent off after a 5 minute conference involving all 3 Officials.

Wood adapted better to the reduction and almost completely dominated the second half, the introduction of Drew Aiton againn bringing almost instant dividends. On 66 minutes. Anthony Juxon played the ball into the box from a left wing corner to find Shawn Boothe, who was brought down, the Referee pointed to the spot. Only on the field 1 minute Aiton took responsibility for the spot kick & with his mother hiding her face, he clamly slotted the ball home for a deserved equaliser.

Apart from a short spell of pressure by the home team it was all Wood now, with late substitute Dave Carns twice being foiled by great saves from keeper Tom Turner. Then right at the end he turned provider setting up Andre Gonzales on the penalty spot, as he was about to win it for the Wood, Causeway substitutr Ryan Wollacot took the ball off his toe.

It’s hopefully Walsall Senior Cup action at Oak Park on Tuesday night with title favourites Tividale the visitors, the weather again dictating matters with a 1.30pm pitch inspection, so watch this space.

For the good of thre Wood – very relieved that we are playing again – Bill Shaw.

Thanks to Bill, as ever, for such a wonderful report.

Please check here for details of Tuesday’s match. Remember that with so many postponed games, The Wood’s income has really taken a hammering, so please do remember the club is still open for beer and functions, and when they do get a home match in again, a huge show of support would be most welcome.

This entry was posted in Environment, Events, Followups, Fun stuff to see and do, Interesting photos, It makes me mad!, Just plain daft, Local media, News, Reader enquiries, Shared media, Social Media, Spotted whilst browsing the web, Walsall Wood stuff and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.