Woodmen quash Stafford Town in late goal assault


Evans Park, Stafford – this time Wood emerged victorious. Image from Stafford Town FC website.

Walsall Wood FC found their form late yet again and successfully fought Stafford Rangers on Tuesday evening (11th October 2016) to ultimately beat Stafford Town an astonishing 5-1.

Bill Shaw was there, and kindly submitted the following match report:

Hiya Bob,

Three goals in the last 20 minutes made the game look easier than it was, but fitness told in the end. Two seasons ago Wood went out of a cup at Evans Park losing four-three after extra time.

For possibly 10 minutes either side of half time an upset looked possible but in the end it was a well-deserved victory.

League action next with a home game on Saturday against Coventry Sphinx.

Staffs Senior Cup
Stafford Town 1 v 5 Walsall Wood

A goal apiece at half time as Town chased an upset, but two goals each from Drew Aiton and Leon Taylor saw Wood comfortably progress to Round Two.

Straight from the kick off Shepherd Machingauta raced clear wide right, played the ball inside to Ryan Pace who hit a first time drive well wide.  On six minutes a long ball wide left was collected at pace by the striker who fired high over.

On 11 minutes Lewis Taylor Royce got away wide right for Wood, he cut inside and his shot to the near post was well held by keeper Tom Degg.

Two minutes later Machingauta collected a ball over the top, took the ball past keeper Charlie Price but Luke Adams raced back to make a superb tackle, the ball fell to Wayne Bailey who ran on and hit a cross shot high over.

On 15 minutes Nick Wright ran at the centre of the Town defence before playing the ball wide right to Aiton, he cut into the box, his low drive well held by Degg. On 26 minutes Craig Deakin collected a ball wide right, his low cross missed by everyone.

A minute later Queenton Manase wide left played the ball inside to find Walter Vundla his first time cross shot narrowly wide.

From the goal kick the ball found its way to Louis Harris 30 yards out, he took one touch and hit a screamer into the top right hand corner to put Wood ahead.

On 36 minutes Manase collected a long ball, raced into the box only to be crowded out.  A minute later he collected a ball just over halfway, raced into the box past hesitant defenders, Price got a hand to his low drive but couldn’t keep the ball from crossing the line.  Two minutes later Callum Whittaker hit a lovely crossfield ball to find Ryan Blagbrough wide right, he cut inside, his low near post drive well held.

On 55 minutes Anthony Juxon won the ball on halfway and found Taylor Boyce wide right, his first time ball inside found Aiton who fired in a low drive through a defenders legs to put Wood back ahead.

On 62 minutes a free kick on the right edge of the box was fired in low by Manase to the near post to bring a full length save from Price.  It was danger man Manase four minutes later racing onto a ball into the left of the box to hit a rising drive that was superbly pushed away at full stretch by Price.

Wood wrapped the game up on 71 minutes, Harry Harris delivered a right wing corner to beyond the far post, Aiton headed the ball back across goal and supersub Leon Taylor scored from close range.  Two minutes later Price again denied Manase before on 78 minutes Aiton held the ball up in centre midfield, before playing the ball right to Harry Harris who swung in a teasing ball to the far post, Taylor getting the minutest touch to push the ball away from Degg and inside the far post.

Right on time Taylor raced onto a ball left of centre, he was stopped by a desperate challenge, the loose ball falling to Aiton to nonchalantly loop the ball over a stranded Degg and into the right hand top corner.

An entertaining 90 minutes of football from both sides but after Wood had made it three-one on 71 minutes there was no way back for Town. Not that anyone told Queenton Manase who worked tirelessly to try and get his team back into the game, but it’s Wood into Round Two…

Bill Shaw.

The Teams:

Stafford Town – Degg, Blagbrough, Bowers, Bailey (captain), Warner, Whittaker, Machingauta, Vundla, Fincher, Pace, Manase, Mtumbi, Turner, Mbaye, Mohammed, Dodd.

Walsall Wood – Price, Deakin, Hayles, Boothe, Adams, Juxon, L. Harris, H. Harris (captain), Wright, Aiton, Taylor Boyce, Haines, Taylor, Edwards, Jackson, Ricketts.

Walsall Wood are a good team and an excellent, community-spirited club. They deserve our support.

With the new season well underway, do get out and support the Woodmen – with footy this great on your doorstep for such a small ticket price, you’d be mad not to go see them and experience the fantastic atmosphere at this historic club.

As ever, thanks to Bill for the report – always appreciated – for The Good of the Wood!

This entry was posted in Brownhills stuff, Environment, Events, Followups, Fun stuff to see and do, Local media, News, Reader enquiries, Shared media, Social Media, Walsall community, Walsall Wood stuff and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Woodmen quash Stafford Town in late goal assault

  1. David Evans says:

    Hi Bob
    Missed an excellent match here, then! Many thanks to Bill and to you for the report and speedy publication
    Kind regards

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.