Woodmen get the better of Tipton Town


Tipton Town – the scene of a sad loss. Image from The Groundhog.

Well, a win for Walsall Wood on Saturday at Tipton Town, in a match that didn’t set correspondent Bill Shaw’s world on fire, but a win, nonetheless; however all eyes are on Tuesday evening at Oak Park (17th February 2015) when at 7:45pm the plucky Woodmen square off to Stoke City in the Staffs Cup.

Good luck, lads.

Bill Shaw submitted the following match report:

Hiya Bob,

Not a classic but nevertheless three points, Tipton had been very lucky to go home from Oak Park in August with the three points after being played off the park. This was another hard-working defensive performance from Wood, without the holidaying Joey Butlin (a footballer on holiday in February, whatever next?)

It’s Stoke City at Oak Park Tuesday night before Saturday’s trip up the A34 to Brocton, probably the next best surface in the League after Loughborough University, worth a visit.

Tipton Town 0 V 1 Walsall Wood

Wood took their unbeaten League run in 2015 up to six, taking 16 points in the process, as they moved into the top six for the first time this season. The win came courtesy of a Corey Currithers 72nd minute free kick and another superb defensive display that included a Mario Kisiel penalty save.

After five minutes the returning Harry Harris raced onto a ball left of the box, his rising drive pushed behind by keeper Jack Hayfield. A minute later it was Joe Pickering collecting a Ben Evans through ball as he cut into the right of the box and fired a cross shot narrowly wide.

Town’s first effort on goal came on seven minutes, livewire Gurjit Singh cutting in from wide left and setting up David Meese, his first time effort deflected for a corner. The flag kick was easily cleared but was collected by Singh right of centre, he went for goal going through three tackles only to fire just over the bar.

A left wing run by Corey Currithers on 21 minutes won Wood a corner, Anthony Juxon powering a header just too high.

An immediate reply saw Chris Poyntz make space wide left before cutting across the face of the box, his shot was deflected and a scramble developed in the six yard box, the ball stabbed against the foot of the right hand post by Singh and hurriedly hacked to safety. On 29 minutes a sloppy Wood back pass was intercepted by Singh, as he raced into the box he collided with Jamie Sauntson, loud penalty appeals waved away. Three minutes later Meese collected the ball from a left wing throw, he made the box and played the ball square to Steven Weaver, his shot was blocked but the ever alert Singh was first to the loose ball on the right of the box, he stepped inside one tackle but was then brought down. The free kick well held by Wood keeper Mario Kisiel. Then on 39 minutes Singh raced from halfway, played a quick-fire one-two with Meese as he raced onto the return pass into the centre of the box Craig Deakin racing across from the right to take the ball as clean as a whistle as the striker went to shoot.

The last action of the half saw Andre Gonzales put Currithers clear wide left, he cut into the box but was stopped by a great tackle by Ash Stewart, the defenders hurried clearance went straight to Gonzales 40 yards from goal, seeing the keeper off his line he hit a first time long range effort well wide.

After a quiet opening to the second half it was that man Singh again causing problems for the Wood defence, he won a free kick just outside the left of the box, he took the free kick himself, firing the ball into the top left hand corner, Kisiel at full stretch pushing the ball over the top. From the corner Rhys Lynton powered a header just over. On 58 minutes substitute Sean Pugh crossed from wide right to find Weaver in the centre of the box, his neat close control saw him turn and fire narrowly wide. From the goal kick the ball was played back over the top of the Wood defence, Singh raced into the left of the box, pushed the ball wide of the advancing Kisiel before being brought down. A yellow card for the keeper, who then redeemed himself with the Wood faithful by making a superb save from Weaver’s spot kick.

Following an untidy spell, on 72 minutes Currithers cut in from wide right, going through several tackles before he was brought down from behind about 30 yards out. He took the free kick himself, his drive bouncing over the outstretched right hand of the diving Hayfield to give Wood the lead. 10 minutes later Lewis Taylor Boyce was fouled wide left, the quickly taken free kick released Drew Aiton into the left of the box, his near post drive inches wide. Wood comfortably stifled the midfield and then right on 90 minutes Aiton chased down a back pass, Hayfield’s hurried clearance going to Taylor Boyce 30 yards out, he neatly laid the ball back into the path of leading scorer Max Black who fired a first time effort inches wide.

It wasn’t pretty as Wood ground out the win, it was however another clean sheet, with Coventry Sphinx the only team to score against Wood in the League this year. It’s Stoke City at Oak Park on Tuesday 17th before Wood travel to Brocton on Saturday.

Bill Shaw.
Walsall Wood F.C.

Thanks to Bill for the report, as ever. These longer format ones are much preferred by the readership, and Bill’s match write-ups are gaining more and more traffic with every one I post.

For The Good of the Wood!

This entry was posted in Brownhills stuff, Environment, Events, Followups, Fun stuff to see and do, Local media, News, Reader enquiries, Shared media, Social Media, Walsall community, Walsall Wood stuff and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.