Woodmen beat Mikes in artificial pitch upset

Images and caption kindly supplied by David Evans

It was uncharted territory for Walsall Wood yesterday (12th November 2016) as Walsall Wood FC travelled the short hop to Boldmere St. Michael’s to fight it out on the new all weather pitch – and they came home with a respectable win.

Now there’s some antipathy to artificial pitches amongst the Wood faithful, particularly from the young David Evans: so I feature this short educational film just for him:

Bill Shaw was there,as ever, and sent this report:

Hiya Bob,

We had a bit of a working over in the first half and deservedly went in at half time a goal behind. We totally dominated the second half, doubling up on danger man Ben Usher-Shipway and nullifying his impact.

It was welcome back to Joey Butlin making his first start since August 27th, he’s obviously not match fit but his value to the side was there for all to see, welcome back Big Man.

Saturday’s game against Stourport Swifts at home kick off at 1:00 pm., don’t come at 3-00 or we’ll all be going home.

Boldmere St. Michaels 1 v 2 Walsall Wood

The Mikes finally played a home game on their new 3g pitch but second half goals from Nick Wright and Drew Aiton saw Wood spoil the party as they won in the league for the first time since September 17th.

A quiet start as both teams came to terms with the slick surface, it was the home team who threatened first when on five minutes Ben Usher-Shipway crossed from wide left to the far post, Alistair Bravns heading back across goal rather than goalwards.

Woods first effort came on 11 minutes, Queenton Manase hit a pinpoint left to right crossfield ball to pick out Craig Deakin to run on and fire in a low drive that was easily saved by Lewis Fenney.

Four minutes later Usher-Shipway played a ball inside from wide left to find Jason Holmes, his first time low drive well saved by keeper Sam Arnold. Four minutes later another left wing cross was headed down to Bravns who scooped an effort over from six yards.  Another left wing cross two minutes later was fired first time inches wide by skipper Joe Smith. Two minutes later it was again Usher-Shipway who set up Anthony Fitzmaurice to race into the left of the box, his low drive pushed round the post by Arnold at full stretch. From a left wing free kick three minutes later the ball dropped to Bravns, his first time low drive bringing another great save from Arnold. On 28 minutes with Wood screaming for offside Brad Lindsey raced into the right of the box, his cross flashing across the face of the six yard box without anyone able  to apply the finishing touch.

Having weathered the storm Wood nearly went ahead on 30 minutes, Nick Wright powered into the right of the box, his ball inside to Joey Butlin was hit first time but blocked by Adam Wood, Manase quickly onto the rebound, his low drive deflected the wrong side of the post.

The first goal at level five on the new 3g pitch came on 34 minutes fittingly by danger man Usher-Shipway, his clever run inside from wide left saw him float a ball into the far top corner.  Two minutes later Lindsey raced into the right of the box, he played a quick-fire one-two with Holmes, his cross shot cleared off the line by Deakin.

Two minutes later Manase made the right byeline, his low cross sliced onto the roof of his own net by Fitzmaurice with his keeper stranded.

Wood came out all guns blazing at the start of the second half, putting Mikes under pressure and on 50 minutes persistence by Deakin saw him make the right of the box, feed Wright on the edge of the six yard box and he lashed in the equaliser at the near post.  Butlin turned and fired over the right angle two minutes later and then fired in a free kick from left of centre that 2Fenney pushed around his right hand post. A powerful defensive header forwards by Anthony Juxon was collected at pace by Butlin whose low drive beat Fenney and the right hand post.  Wood were now in control but Usher-Shipway was still dangerous but was now well held.

On 76 minutes Juxon released Butlin into the right of the box, Fenney saving his low drive. Eight minutes later Butlin and Wright combined cleverly to release Deakin into the right of the box, Fenney saving his low drive with his feet, Wright firing the rebound first time wide.  Wood got the goal their second half performance deserved when two minutes later pressure wide left won a free kick, the ball delivered to the near post, substitute Drew Aiton firing in an unstoppable effort to win it for Wood.

A first win in seven league games for Wood as they spoiled the homecoming party.

Next Saturday its Stourport Swifts at the Wood – Please note kick off is 1-00 pm.

Bill Shaw2

The Teams:

Boldmere St. Michaels – Fenney, Rosser, Fitzmaurice, Wood, Craven, Forde, Lindsey, Smith (captain), Bravns, Holmes, Usher-Shipway, Lewis, Skinner, Wilkinson, Howard, Butler.

Walsall Wood – Arnold, Deakin, Hayles, Boothe, Birch, Juxon, Steane, Beckett (captain), Butlin, Wright, Manase, Mansell, Aiton, Edwards, Taylor.

Thanks to Bill for that – For the Good of The Wood!

This entry was posted in Brownhills stuff, Events, Followups, Fun stuff to see and do, Local media, News, Reader enquiries, Shared media, Social Media, Walsall community, Walsall Wood stuff and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Woodmen beat Mikes in artificial pitch upset

  1. David Evans says:

    Hi Bob
    Many thanks for this fine presentation, to Bill for his report and for his melodious backing with tenor extraordinary, Andy Roper. how many other soccer clubs have singing presidents?
    Kind regards, look you

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.