Woodmen fell Pershore and Uttoxeter


Yesterday (Saturday 7th October 2017) Walsall Wood FC entertained Pershore Town at Oak Park – and continued their run of goof form, beating the visitors decisively four nil.

Bill Shaw was there and liked what he saw, though castings the fateful not to rest on their laurels. For a retired man, Bill isn’t half putting the work in this season – thanks mate!

Should media appear from the excellent Wood TV I’ll add it to the report when available!

Bill wrote:

Hiya Bob,

Normal service resumed with a four-nil home victory. It really was too easy and there will be far harder games than this before the end of the season.

Wood are still only a point clear of the chasing pack but with a goal difference of 28 that is worth another point.

No report from the Potteries on Tuesday night but all being well I’ll be down the road at Nuneaton Griff next Saturday.  A great stadium but wide open spaces so if you are going wrap up warm.

Walsall Wood 4 v 0 Pershore Town

Another comfortable four goal home victory for the league leaders, three up at the break Wood cruised through the second half wasting a host of chances until Craig Deakin added number four, (his first of the season) on 90 minutes.

Wood opened confidently against the lowly visitors and went ahead after just four minutes, a right wing corner reached Jordan Fitzpatrick who forced the ball home from close range. Two minutes later a suicidal back pass saw Wood debutant Sam Agar race in to reach the ball before keeper Toby Wilcox, his touch taking the ball wide of the left hand post. Two minutes later a short left wing corner was played to Peter Till, he crossed into the centre, Agar putting a header just wide. On 15 minutes Lewis Hayden raced clear wide right, his cross found Agar on the penalty spot, he laid the ball back to Fitzpatrick who took one touch before he was scythed down from behind, loud penalty appeals falling on deaf ears. Five minutes later Craig Deakin powered down the right, his low cross cleverly touched on to beyond the far post by Agar, Fitzpatrick firing first time into the side netting. A minute later Tony Clarke worked his way into the left of the box, he lost the ball but won it back and played it to Fitzpatrick just outside the box, his first time rocket flying into the top right hand corner for number two.

A rare excursion over the halfway for Town on 28 minutes, Ben Lane got away from his marker wide left, made the byeline, his fierce low cross well held at the near post by keeper Lloyd Ransome.

On 36 minutes Peter Till worked his way inside from wide left, his cross headed out to Hayden 25 yards out, his thunderbolt through a crowded area giving the keeper no chance. Five minutes later Mitch Tolley played the ball up to Agar who immediately swept the ball out left to Deakin whose near post cross was met by the head of Clarke only to be deflected inches wide. Two minutes later Fitzpatrick crossed from wide left, Agar’s acrobatic effort bouncing away off the top of the bar.

The first goalmouth action of the second half came on 53 minutes, Deakin powering down the left, playing a one-two with Till, his low cross hit first time just wide by Andrew Westwood. Five minutes later Keenan Meakin-Richards threaded a ball through a static defence, Wilcox racing to the edge of the box to take the ball at the feet of Agar. Another five minutes gone, Till on a left wing run, a neat ball inside cleverly flicked on by Agar to put Westwood in on goal only for brave defending to block his low drive. Four minutes later Callum McFarlane headed just over from a right wing corner. A minute later Lewis Taylor Boyce combined with Hayden wide right, the cross volleyed acrobatically just too high by Agar.  After a quiet 15 minute spell Wood came roaring back and on 84 minutes a lovely ball over the top of a tiring defence was collected at pace by Clarke, as he raced into the left of the box Wilcox out quickly to save bravely at his feet. A minute later from a left wing free kick Agar flicked a header just past the far post. Another minute on from another left wing free kick Clarke powered a header off the bar with Wilcox beaten.

Right on 90 minutes an intricate move left of centre ended with Clarke going across the box from left to right, the ball collected by Deakin to calmly fire home to open his account for the season.

Another stroll on the Wood grass for the leaders, Pershore averaging two goals per game before this game but never looked like troubling keeper Lloyd Ransome.  Popular striker Joey Butlin has left to try his luck at Hednesford and the club wish him every success.  Leading scorer Paul Sullivan was out injured so manager Gary Birch moved quickly to sign Sam Agar and the only thing missing from his impressive debut was a goal.

Its Staffs Senior Cup duty at Abbey Hulton United in the Potteries on Tuesday night before next Saturday sees Wood away at struggling Nuneaton Griff.

Bill Shaw

The Teams:

Walsall Wood – Ransome, Hayden, Deakin, Meakin-Richards, McFarlane, Tolley (captain), Till, Westwood, Agar, Clarke, Fitzpatrick, Gould, Birch, Taylor Boyce, Okojie, Harris.

Pershore Town – Wilcox, Walker, Xavier, Townsend, Griffiths, Stallard, Mathewson, S. Devlin, Tonczak, Lane, C. Devlin, Hayward, Bloomer, Butterworth, Saunders, Rich.

Thanks to Bill and David for the report and pictures!

Another fine game to grace Oak Park….

Meanwhile, last Tuesday (3rd October 017), David went to watch the home match between the Woodmen and Uttoxeter at Oak Park, and here he saw another good win.

Interesting contrast here between the two reporting styles…

Hi Bob

Walsall Wood 2 v 0 Uttoxeter

A calm, still autumnal evening, the glorious green turf , the smart stand all lit up  by the bright floodlights, the mouth-watering smell of onions, hotdogs and beefburgers sizzling away from the catering van, and people walking in to the ground with determined step and eager anticipation.

The pre-match welcome for  supporters making  their first visit to the Theatre of Dreams,  smiling faces, handshakes, pleasant banter in the clubhouse and the joyous sounds of reggae ringing out from the new Tannoy… This, and the stand filling with supporters from near and far and the scene was set for a game or soccer.

The teams  emerge, smart clean football strips and boot, men in red and other men in striped yellow and blue strip… And led on the the carpet smooth. lush real grass by the three Men in Black.

The game was a delight to spectate, throughout the whole match. Two teams where the enjoyment the players gained from this contest was equalled by that of the many spectators who were privileged to watch. The game flowed, with accurate passing  by both teams. Walsall Wood did seem to show greater  match awareness and experience at times, though. Uttoxeter showed resilience and determination. This was also a feature that was appreciated by all the spectators whose frequent applause for both teams also made the evening one I will remember.

The Wood this season have spirit, confidence, and skill… And it shows.

kind regards

Cheers to all the contributors, the faithful and of course, the players. For the Good of The Wood!

This entry was posted in Brownhills stuff, Environment, Events, Followups, Fun stuff to see and do, Local media, News, Reader enquiries, Shared media, Social Media, Walsall community, Walsall Wood stuff and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Woodmen fell Pershore and Uttoxeter

  1. David Evans says:

    Hi Bob
    very many thanks for the excellent presentation and for all your time and effort..most appreciated
    kind regards

  2. Thank you all for the reports and well done “The Wood”

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.