Woodmen draw to keep Wulf from the door…

Photos kindly supplied by David Evans

The Woodmen yesterday (Saturday 28th February 2015) faced AFC Wulfrunians at Oak Park, and held the visitors to a hard-fought draw.

Bill Shaw was there to witness the match, and submitted the following report:

Hi Bob,

A creditable draw on a glue pot of a pitch, Wulfs fighting back from a goal down and nearly stealing all three points with a spirited finish.

It was a much improved performance from Wood and raises the spirits for the next three games in eight days spell at Oak Park. With Basford and Long Eaton suffering shock home defeats Wood actually closed the gap on them, so it’s  all still to play for…

Walsall Wood 1 v 1 AFC Wulfrunians.

Not surprisingly the game between the divisions form teams ended all square. Wood started brightly, playing some neat enterprising football without finding the net in the first 45 minutes. They went ahead from the penalty spot on 51 minutes, but the introduction of young substitute Demetri Brown on the hour mark changed the whole complexion of the game and he nipped between defender and keeper on 80 minutes to plunder the equaliser.

A bright start from both sides but it was Wood who threatened first, Luke Adams and Ben Evans combining in the centre to feed Joey Butlin, he powered through one tackle but under pressure from Ryan Talbot he fired over the bar. Two minutes later a lovely ball out wide right by Max Black found Corey Currithers who cut back inside, laid the ball square to Harry Harris to hit a first time effort goalwards, keeper Jonathon Brown’s full length save pushing the ball onto the post. On 18 minutes Butlin released Luke Adams wide right, he made the box only to overhit his cross. Five minutes later it was Black collecting the ball from a left wing throw running at the defence, Jordan Perks making a brave block.

On 28 minutes a long ball out of defence by Wulfs was collected at pace by Andrew Thompson, he raced into the right of the box before being stopped by a combination of Jamie Sauntson and keeper Mario Kisiel, half hearted penalty appeals rightly waved away.

Wulfs should have gone ahead five minutes later, a square pass across the back saw Thompson intercept the ball, race into the box only to fire wide of the advancing Kisiel and the right hand post.

A flowing one touch left wing move on 41 minutes ended with Evans racing into the left of the box, his low drive well held by Brown.

The last action of the first half came a minute later, a Wulfs right wing free kick headed back to Thompson, his first time 20 yard rising drive clearing the back fence.

A minute into the second half a left wing cross from Evans was completely missed by Brown, Perks saving the keepers blushes by heading off the line. On 51 minutes Harris raced onto a ball into the left of the box only to go down under a mistimed challenge. Butlin making no mistake from the spot to put Wood ahead. Four minutes later Currithers put Evans into the left of the box, Brown making a brave full length save.

Substitute Demetri Brown made his first foray into the left of the Wood box on 62 minutes, he was strong to go through one challenge before he was stopped by a great tackle from Anthony Juxon. Then on 80 minutes a ball over the top of the Wood defence held up on the wind , Kisiel came to the edge of the box, hesitated, which allowed Brown in to lift the ball calmly over the keeper and even though two defenders chased back they couldn’t stop the ball crossing the line. Three minutes later a right wing free kick to the far post saw Lee Stretton save Wood with a brave, diving header to clear the danger. On 90 minutes a right to left move across the face of the Wood box ended with Nathan Rose-Laing firing in a low drive that brought a superb full length save from Kisiel, the ball flying out to Mitchell McDonald whose first time effort was pushed away by the keeper, but only straight to Liam Bood to fire the loose ball high and wide.

Wood dominated the first hour, but Manager Steve Palmer’s substitution changed the balance of the game and they could have stolen all three points with a strong finish, which would have been hard on the home side.

Boldmere St. Michaels followed by Continental Star at Oak Park on Saturday 7th March & then Basford United on Tuesday 10th.

Bill Shaw
Walsall Wood F.C.

Walsall Wood are a good team and an excellent, community-spirited club. They need our support – please do attend the coming games if you can. The lads do us all proud and deserve as much support as we can give them.

As ever, thanks to Bill for the report – always appreciated – for The Good of the Wood!


This entry was posted in Brownhills stuff, Environment, Events, Followups, Fun stuff to see and do, Local media, News, Reader enquiries, Shared media, Social Media, Walsall community, Walsall Wood stuff and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.