Canal dreams

Way back in my last photo post, ‘The joys of summer‘, canal-lover The Stymaster commented on the surprising greenery of the waterways through West Bromwich. As a belated response, I’ve collated some gorgeous summer greenery from recent rides, often from unexpected places.

The landscape this year has been an ever-changing collage of foliage, flowers, crops and sky; do get out and enjoy it. It’s now harvest time, and a whole new colour palette is emerging.

More posts coming soon…

Ogley Junction, Brownhills - I can still hear the gorse pods popping. 3:50pm,Sunday,11th July 2010.

Goscote: surprisingly verdant. 5:53pm, Sunday, 18th July 2010.

A purple or green-winged orchid (Thanks, Pedro!) - in Brownhills. 5:43pm, Wednesday, 9th June 2010.

Deceptively quiet, shady Minworth. 4:16pm, Saturday, 12th June 2010.

Heartland - West Bromwich, nature reclaiming the industrial. 3:26pm, Saturday, 19th June 2010.

A profusion of yellow water lilies near Walsall. 4:02PM, Sunday, 18th July 2010.

The green haven of a truncated loop, Alvechurch. 4:20pm, Friday, 25th June 2010.

This entry was posted in Brownhills stuff, cycling, Environment, Fun stuff to see and do, Interesting photos, Local media, Panoramio photo discussions, Panoramio updates, Shared media, Wildlife and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Canal dreams

1. CAZ says:

we do indeed have some beautiful scenery in walsall.many thanks for the pic of the purple or green winged orchid…… l have some of these growing in my garden…no idea how they got there and despite searching all garden books and taking photo’s and showing every green fingered person l know, couldn’t find out what they are. l did remark that close up they look similar to an orchid….very pretty.
    l regularly walk the stretch of canal between Walsall Wood and Brownhills and l’ve see things which seem to be missing on all your pics… [thankfully].l’m talking about broken bottles, beer cans, crisp packets etc etc Just this morning, under the walsall wood bridge l tried to move broken beer bottle glass before some poor dog or wildlife cut there paws on it.l wish people would be a little more thoughtful and dispose of their rubbish properly.sorry for the moan…..the pics are loverly

2. stymaster says:

It is rather a shame the rubbish (and dog crap) that gets littered on the towpath between here and Brownhills: the latter especially near Clayhanger bridge. Sadly, there’s selfish, thoughtless people about that do this sort of thing.

Anyway, back to the scenery: I’ve walked several of those stretches. The bit around West Brom can give some amazing contrasts between industrial and green, and I like both. The water lily photo is the Rushall canal- We walked that way a fortnight ago, and they were quite remarkable.

3. Les Heath says:

Ahhhh Ogley Hay, I walked along the cut with my dog Tim many times when I was going to school and living at home in Ogley Road.

4. Mick_P says:

Lovely pics Bob, thanks. And a great Google Earth gadget in the exif (even if it is a few hundred yards out). So does your Panasonic have that built-in?

• Mick_P says:

… I just looked up your camera, and yes, I see the GPS is built in. Impressive little camera overall in fact. My compliments, Mr B.

5. Steve says:

Some cracking pictures Bob. Always look forward to seeing them.

6. Pingback: PigBlog » Blog Archive » Town and Country