If you’re not aware of the story, it has recently been reported that despite making huge cuts to services provision, budgets and soon jobs too, Mike Bird and his pals at Walsall Council see nothing wrong with voting to increase their allowances. Yes, you read that right – the very people warning us of cuts to libraries, social care and meals on wheels, not to mention leisure, third sector support and education – are just preparing to award themselves a massive pay rise because, apparently, managing all these cuts is really, really hard work.
There have been a couple of really good blog posts on this subject since the story broke on Monday. The Plastic Hippo and The Mushroom both took highly principled and thoughtful positions on this. They did a splendid job, so I’m not going to mess around with intellectualising this.
The people in charge of our council do not care for you or the place in which you live. They do not care about the suffering or hardship caused by their plans to cut lifeline services to the vulnerable and elderly. They simply cannot be bothered to fight for Walsall and it’s borough towns, accepting meekly the cuts they are encouraged to make without a whimper. Quite plainly, they’re not in it for you, for the public or for the good of the community. They are, however, in it for any pay rise they can get, which they are unashamedly justifying without a hint of irony, embarrassment or self awareness. These ignorant, self-interested people do not deserve our respect, support or encouragement.
I hope to god that those of us who are awake and disgusted remember this when it’s time to vote…
Because you’re free to read this blog
- September 3rd - Further on, and caught in a very grey moment,... September 4, 2015
- September 3rd - I took to the canal on the way home, and... September 4, 2015
- September 2nd - As I squelched past Jockey Meadows, I stopped to... September 4, 2015
- September 2nd - Like most people, I’m holding out for an Indian... September 4, 2015
- September 1st - And when I say frenetic, I mean frenetic. Look... September 2, 2015
- September 1st - Today, for the first time in ages, I had to go... September 2, 2015
- August 31st - I rode out via Canwell and Middleton to Middleton... September 1, 2015
- August 31st - Couldn’t stay in on August Bank Holiday Monday,... August 31, 2015
- August 30th - This time of year is mostly about fruits, and this... August 31, 2015
- August 30th - A grey day, but I needed a ride. It’s been a few... August 31, 2015
- August 29th - My apologies to the toad-phobics, but I had to... August 30, 2015
- August 29th - A late rove around Brownhills and I just missed... August 30, 2015
Top Posts & Pages
- Flytipping morons strike again
- Rare bike stolen from Aldridge - police issue more CCTV images
- One little Spark is all it takes...
- Warning - Ogley Road partially closed at High Street junction from next Monday
- Get your music fix at the Chase Inn tonight and all weekend...
- Hog in the limelight
- I'm sure there's a perfectly innocent explanation
- Major road closes this Sunday for 7 weeks: be prepared
- What's this stuff about, then?
- Flytipping scum plaguing Brownhills
- 2,574,830 hits
- 2014 2015 Accident Aldridge appeal away Baker Bond Bill Shaw Brian Stringer Brownhills Brownhills local history Canal Chasewater Chasewater Dam Chasewater Wildlife Group Cheap tat Clayhanger crime Cycle rides cycling David Evans Derelict event Events Express & Star Facebook FC football Footy freesheet Gazette Good of the Wood history home Laburnum Cottage Lichfield local blogs Local History Local politics Lost match review Mike Bird New Photos newspaper Oak Park Old maps Panoramio planning Police Politics Pubs Redevelopment Report Reservoir result Saturday Shire Oak Silly soccer Staffordshire Stonnall Sunday Tesco Tesco Development Things to do Twitter Vandalism Walsall Walsall Council Walsall politics Walsall Wood Walsall WOod FC Watling Street West Midlands Police Wildlife
- RT @LichfieldLore: And thanks to you @WS7weather. I always check your forecast and don't thank you anywhere near enough. It is really appre… 21 minutes ago
- Love Annie Nightingale to bits, but listening to her today it's hard to associate her with radio one in the mid 80s. Such a change 21 minutes ago
- RT @StellsBackUp: If I tell someone to fuck off it means fuck off, not proceed in lecturing me about why I shouldn't swear!! 44 minutes ago
- RT @london_mush: Lovely twitter.com/TreacleTowers/… 45 minutes ago
- RT @NPASBirmingham: First job: Assisting @Walsallpolice find a suspect that ran off from an address in Leamore! #NoPointTryingtoHide #NPAS… 45 minutes ago
© BrownhillsBobAll rights reserved - material not to be reused without permission.
Blogs I Follow
- BrownhillsBob's Brownhills Blog
- Edinburgh Wildlife
- DARLASTON REMEMBERS
- West Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust
- Aer Reg
- Stickymackhouse my life and other things
- Life At 50mm
- Studio Living
- Diary of a Four Wheeled Wonder Woman
- Lichfield Waterworks Trust
- Chasewaterstuff's Railway & Canal Blog
- Chasewater Railway Museum
- Mental Health Cop
- Diary of a Gimpy Kid
- Handed on
- All the Days and Nights
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Chasewater Strollers September 7, 2015 at 9:30 am – 1:00 pm Chasewater Innovation Centre, Burntwood, Lichfield District, United Kingdom Buggy social strolling group for parents & toddlers http://brownhillsbob.com/2014/04/20/stroll-on/ https://www.facebook.com/Chasewaterstrollers
- Chasewater Strollers September 14, 2015 at 9:30 am – 1:00 pm Chasewater Innovation Centre, Burntwood, Lichfield District, United Kingdom Buggy social strolling group for parents & toddlers http://brownhillsbob.com/2014/04/20/stroll-on/ https://www.facebook.com/Chasewaterstrollers
- Chasewater Strollers September 21, 2015 at 9:30 am – 1:00 pm Chasewater Innovation Centre, Burntwood, Lichfield District, United Kingdom Buggy social strolling group for parents & toddlers http://brownhillsbob.com/2014/04/20/stroll-on/ https://www.facebook.com/Chasewaterstrollers