If you’re not aware of the story, it has recently been reported that despite making huge cuts to services provision, budgets and soon jobs too, Mike Bird and his pals at Walsall Council see nothing wrong with voting to increase their allowances. Yes, you read that right – the very people warning us of cuts to libraries, social care and meals on wheels, not to mention leisure, third sector support and education – are just preparing to award themselves a massive pay rise because, apparently, managing all these cuts is really, really hard work.
There have been a couple of really good blog posts on this subject since the story broke on Monday. The Plastic Hippo and The Mushroom both took highly principled and thoughtful positions on this. They did a splendid job, so I’m not going to mess around with intellectualising this.
The people in charge of our council do not care for you or the place in which you live. They do not care about the suffering or hardship caused by their plans to cut lifeline services to the vulnerable and elderly. They simply cannot be bothered to fight for Walsall and it’s borough towns, accepting meekly the cuts they are encouraged to make without a whimper. Quite plainly, they’re not in it for you, for the public or for the good of the community. They are, however, in it for any pay rise they can get, which they are unashamedly justifying without a hint of irony, embarrassment or self awareness. These ignorant, self-interested people do not deserve our respect, support or encouragement.
I hope to god that those of us who are awake and disgusted remember this when it’s time to vote…
Because you’re free to read this blog
- April 25th - Although still very cold for the time of year,... April 25, 2017
- April 25th - Well, that was a shock. A light dusting of snow... April 25, 2017
- April 24th - And not far away, just drifting on the canal... April 24, 2017
- April 24th - A very cold day once more with periodic rain and... April 24, 2017
- April 23rd - On the canal at Hopwas, a swan nest. The male was... April 24, 2017
- April 23rd - In the sun, it was warm, but otherwise another... April 24, 2017
- April 22nd - The late Lichfeldian touring cyclist and... April 24, 2017
- April 22nd - I headed out for an afternoon ride, still... April 24, 2017
- April 21st - I was still doing short test runs come sundown,... April 24, 2017
- April 21st - Spent some downtime doing mechanical things on the... April 24, 2017
- April 20th - Further on, Clayhanger Common is greening over a... April 21, 2017
- April 20th - A better day, recovered now. Returning home on the... April 21, 2017
Top Posts & Pages
- Going A5 Live!
- Open Mike
- Thank you Bill Shaw
- Fifty years and still going strong - celebrate with Silver Street Church!
- The Portman Collection - part six: Staff and older pupils, plus a surprise football team!
- Former Terrace Restaurant to become World Buffet - confirmed!
- Urgent: Police appeal for witnesses to Rushall collision
- Heanor prove to be keener than Wood
- 4,212,467 hits
- 2014 2015 2016 Accident Aldridge appeal away Bill Shaw Brian Stringer Brownhills Brownhills local history Canal charity Chase Inn Chasewater Chasewater Dam Chasewater Wildlife Group Cheap tat Clayhanger crime Cycle rides cycling David Evans Derelict entertainment event Events Express & Star Facebook FC football Footy free gig Good of the Wood home Lichfield live music local blogs Local History Local politics Lost match review Mike Bird New Photos Newtown Oak Park Old maps Panoramio planning Police Politics Pubs Real Ale Redevelopment Report Reservoir result Saturday Shire Oak Silly soccer Staffordshire Stonnall Sunday Things to do Twitter Vandalism Walsall Walsall Council Walsall politics Walsall Wood Walsall WOod FC West Midlands Police Wildlife
© BrownhillsBobAll rights reserved - material not to be reused without permission.
Blogs I Follow
- Wise O Notes
- South Coast Tour 2016
- Andrew's Kindred
- The Plastic Hippo
- BrownhillsBob's Brownhills Blog
- Edinburgh Wildlife
- DARLASTON REMEMBERS
- West Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust
- Aer Reg
- Mikes WFC Players History
- Life At 50mm
- Studio Living
- Diary of a Four Wheeled Wonder Woman
- Lichfield Waterworks Trust
- Chasewaterstuff's Railway & Canal Blog
- Chasewater Railway Museum