If you’re not aware of the story, it has recently been reported that despite making huge cuts to services provision, budgets and soon jobs too, Mike Bird and his pals at Walsall Council see nothing wrong with voting to increase their allowances. Yes, you read that right – the very people warning us of cuts to libraries, social care and meals on wheels, not to mention leisure, third sector support and education – are just preparing to award themselves a massive pay rise because, apparently, managing all these cuts is really, really hard work.
There have been a couple of really good blog posts on this subject since the story broke on Monday. The Plastic Hippo and The Mushroom both took highly principled and thoughtful positions on this. They did a splendid job, so I’m not going to mess around with intellectualising this.
The people in charge of our council do not care for you or the place in which you live. They do not care about the suffering or hardship caused by their plans to cut lifeline services to the vulnerable and elderly. They simply cannot be bothered to fight for Walsall and it’s borough towns, accepting meekly the cuts they are encouraged to make without a whimper. Quite plainly, they’re not in it for you, for the public or for the good of the community. They are, however, in it for any pay rise they can get, which they are unashamedly justifying without a hint of irony, embarrassment or self awareness. These ignorant, self-interested people do not deserve our respect, support or encouragement.
I hope to god that those of us who are awake and disgusted remember this when it’s time to vote…
Because you’re free to read this blog
- June 18th - Spotted in appallingly bad light way off near the... July 20, 2017
- June 19th - Last week I noted in passing that we were between... July 20, 2017
- July 18th - On the canal near the Black Cock Bridge, there’s... July 19, 2017
- July 18th - Today, the older cats of Scarborough Road and north... July 19, 2017
- July 17th - Later the same day, in Darlaston. A summer... July 18, 2017
- July 17th - Time for my annual botanically subversive mission:... July 18, 2017
- July 16th - The dying light intensified it’s drama as I headed... July 18, 2017
- July 16th - Slowly bumbling over to Chasewater to catch the... July 18, 2017
- July 16th - I seem to have it with a cold. I’ve been feeling a... July 18, 2017
- July 15th - Another joy of warm summer rides is the overspray... July 18, 2017
- July 15th - Out on a late afternoon ride on a warm but grey... July 18, 2017
- July 14th - I never lose sight of how lush and green a summer is... July 18, 2017
Top Posts & Pages
- Laptop and Xbox stolen in Brownhills burglary - please keep a lookout
- The Swan, Brownhills: Come say farewell, and welcome a new era
- Brick by brick
- Walsall Wood Remembrance Parade: Appeal still running!
- Terrace World Buffet - new Brownhills restaurant opening this Saturday!
- The Swan pub to live again
- Have you seen this lost Macaw?
- Meet your local coppers this Friday in Brownhills
- Ninety years, a true Brownhills sportsman
- Demolition, man
- 4,477,387 hits
- 2014 2015 2016 2017 Accident Aldridge appeal away Bill Shaw Brian Stringer Brownhills Brownhills local history Canal Chase Inn Chasewater Chasewater Dam Chasewater Wildlife Group Cheap tat Clayhanger crime Cycle rides cycling David Evans Derelict entertainment event Events Express & Star Facebook FC football Footy free gig Good of the Wood home Lichfield live music local blogs Local History Local politics Lost match review Mike Bird New Photos Newtown Oak Park Old maps Panoramio planning Police Politics Pubs Real Ale Redevelopment Report Reservoir result Saturday Shire Oak Silly soccer Staffordshire Stonnall Sunday Things to do Twitter Vandalism Walsall Walsall Council Walsall politics Walsall Wood Walsall WOod FC West Midlands Police Wildlife
© BrownhillsBobAll rights reserved - material not to be reused without permission.
Blogs I Follow
- Wise O Notes
- South Coast Tour 2016
- Andrew's Kindred
- The Plastic Hippo
- BrownhillsBob's Brownhills Blog
- Edinburgh Wildlife
- DARLASTON REMEMBERS
- West Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust
- Aer Reg
- Mikes WFC Players History
- Life At 50mm
- Studio Living
- Diary of a Four Wheeled Wonder Woman
- Lichfield Waterworks Trust
- Chasewaterstuff's Railway & Canal Blog
- Chasewater Railway Museum