On the wagon

1545626_10153299221577447_3219661402109984354_n

Not sure of original source, but a locally owned wagon trundles through Bradford Place in Walsall past the college and some very familiar buses. Any idea of the date? Image spotted on Facebook by friend of the blog Nick Elliot.

Just a quick one for those interested in Walsall, old transport or Walsall Wood Colliery.

Old friend of the blog Nick Elliot spotted this picture of Bradford Place in Walsall on an old cars group on Facebook, and passed it to me due to the Walsall Wood Colliery branding on the truck – but there’s so much here; the college, a building so often overlooked and still extant in Bradford Place; The line of now classic busses. Any clues on the sign on the railings? What’s just out of shot on the right? Any theories on the date?

I have no idea of the origin of the image, and would love to be a able to credit it. Can you help? Anything to add? Please feel free. Comment here, or mail me: BrownhillsBob at Googlemail dot com.

Thanks to Nick for revealing a fascinating moment in time.

This entry was posted in News and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to On the wagon

1. Geoffp says:

Bob,
    The photo is also on the Walsall Local History Centre’s ‘a click in time’ website but without the Bradford Place title! It is dated 1930-1939 and from the vehicles it looks as if the photo was taken in the late 1930s, the AEC buses behind the first one date from about 1935; the Morris car behind the lorry is a 1936 model and looks pretty new. HTH.

Geoff

• Geoffp says:

I’ve just had another look at the photo and the lorry looks very much like a Morris Commercial of the early 1930s; the wheels and front wings are quite distinctive. No doubt it had been delivering coal to a local industry and was now making its way back to the colliery.

2. Mick Bullock says:

The date of the photo is the late 30s according to the second bus which was new in 1935.

3. Andy Dennis says:

Though it is behind the first bus, you can see where the Ford Brook was still open.

On the building whose left extremity creeps into the picture is the start of the workd “REMOVAL(S)”? I think there was a firm named Collis there; my uncle Reg worked there when he left school in about 1935.

4. Graham says:

The building on the right is Prices furniture shop – see the rolls of lino in the first floor windows. It was still there into the seventies when I left Walsall

5. Pedro says:

What disturbs me is that on the passenger side of the car, situated behind the Walsall wood colliery lorry, is the ghostly figure of a speeding cyclist!

6. Ian Pell says:

The photo is probably taken c.1936-38. It is certainly post March 1931 as the tram route no longer appears to exist. The No. 38 was a circular route via Pleck, Darlaston to Wednesbury and return via Wood Green Road. Now it gets sketchy – the first omnibus I think is a Dennis “H” rebodied by the Gloucester Carriage & Wagon Co. Ltd. c.1934. The second, is thought to be a Dennis “Lance”.( I will stand to be corrected as I am well out of my comfort zone!). As neither vehicle shows any band of advertising, photos from 1937 give a good indication of this feature at that time.
    Another interesting fact is that I believe the Omnibus Society have their archives in Walsall at 100 Sandwell Street.
    Finally, I would draw your attention to the “Walsall Corporation Transport” booklet by D.F.Potter, J.S.Webb, Ray Wilson, BTHG West Midland Transport in Pictures. published 1981 which contains a series of wonderful photos of Walsall trams, trolleybuses and buses.
    Ian

7. Rob Selvey says:

I can tell you that the poster you ask about advertises The Mount Carnival which included a masque fancy dress ball. At the bottom of the poster it states that Ron (or Don) Bannisters Carlton Band will provide the music. I have an original of this pic kindly given to me by Jack Haddock and things are much clearer on that.

8. Photo 326 from the Walsall Local History Centre Collection, dated 1935, by William Bullock. Bullock was a professional photographer, specialising in studio portraits in the first half of the 20th century. He was also an active member of Walsall Photographic Society. His general shots of Walsall record much of the town’s transformation in the decades before World War Two.

cheers, Stuart and NIck. I would love to see more of William Bullock’s photographs. Another local photographer whose evocative work may be at risk of being forgotten, perhaps?
    kind regards