Please help: New Road, what do we know?

Untitled 7

New Road in Brownhills has an interesting diversity of dwellings from different periods. Imagery from Bing! Maps.

I know well that you readers love a good challenge, and whilst I’ve been too busy to get much done on the blog this weekend, I wonder if you could all take a look at this query from Verity Lane who’s just moved in to New Road, Brownhills and was wanting to know a bit more about the street.

Verity wrote:

Hi Bob,

I have stumbled across your blog and found it very interesting, you’re doing a great job.

My other half and I have just brought a house on New Road, Brownhills, and I would love to know a bit of history of this road if you were aware of anything, especially if you know anything about the head of the road or about the house opposite the nursing home? I have searched all over the internet and on the planning website to see if anything is stated on there but to no avail.

Thanks for reading this email & we would much appreciate your response.

Kind Regards
Verity

First of all, thanks Verity for your kind words.

I realised after reading the email that I don’t actually know a fat lot about New Road, either. We discovered the existence of New Street last year, which was in the same area, but that was lost when Warren Place was built.

As to the house opposite the old Vicarage, it’s a handsome building. For some reason there have been rumours about planning applications on that property for years, but none are outstanding.

When researching New Road, it’s worth bearing in mind there were several similar names locally over the years – there was not only a New Street in Brownhills, but Pauls Coppice in Walsall Wood was also called New Street.

Longstanding friend of the blog Julie Le Moine of course, asked the same question some time ago of adjacent Church Road, and some of the material in that post may be interesting to Verity.

If you know anything, please comment here, or send me a mail to BrownhillsBob at Googlemail dot com. Cheers.

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Please help: New Road, what do we know?

1. Andy Dennis says:

What I’ve found is a bit odd.

The 1884 OS mapping shows the road we know today as New Road, but does not name it.

The censuses give patchy coverage: 1861 no mention; 1871 New Road, 2 records (Ogley Hay dist. 24 p11); 1881 & 1891 no mention; 1901 & 1911 have both New Road and New Street!

1901. New Street, mentioned in description of enumeration district (Ogley Hay dist. 22 p1). pp44-41, 4 records New St and pp44-45 6 records New Rd. Between are several Chester Road and two Ogley Hay House.

1911. Records 209-217 (image 418 onwards) New Road and (consecutively) 218-221 New St. The addresses are completed by both enumerator and resident. (Ogley Hay dist 20.)

I’ve not checked 1841 or 1851.

As I said, a bit odd. Do we know anything about Ogley Hay House?

• Pedro says:

Sep 1896….For Sale…Strong Spring Trap and harness, nearly new, cheap, apply Henry Jones Ogley Hay House, Brownhills

• Pedro says:

New Street, B’hills…1901…a nuisance caused by sewage existed at property at New St, to remedy which he suggested that a sewer be laid along New Street from Chester Road…

…an address, 31 New Street, Paul’s Coppice, B’hills shown 1932..

• Andy Dennis says:

I found a Henry Jones in the censuses, born Cradley Heath about 1846. In 1881 general provision dealer and 1891 newsagent both not many records from the Station Inn / Hotel. In 1901 at High St, Brownhills in the Catshill area, not far from the canal. In 1901 his occupation was “General Sales & Shopkeeper”. Not there in 1911. (In 1871 he was a blacksmith living at Chase View Terrace, Watling Street – I think this was the row between the chapel and the wheelbarrow works.) None of these helps with locating Ogley Hay House.

Given the progression in the 1901 census I wonder if Ogley Hay house stood at the corner of New Road and Chester Road. On one corner is a white residential-type building, but I think that has another name. Opposite is a patch of open space that could have accommodated a substantial house. Does anyone recall what was there before?

• malcolm says:

I had a girlfriend who lived at 31 New Street, during the sixties.I think the name New Street was dropped in about 1967 ! and it became just St Pauls Coppice. Am I right in thinking,that its actually in Walsall Wood.I may be wrong, but I thought that Brownhills boundary began just past the Anchor Public House?

2. Pedro says:

1838 Inclosure Act

A certain Tract or Carriage Road, commencing from the Wyrley and Essington canal bridge, near to the New Warren House, and leading in a southeasterly direction and terminating in the said Walsall and Lichfield turnpike road, near to the New Road set out as aforesaid, leading from thence to Park Lane…

• Pedro says:

Names occurring in the 1838 Inclosure Act…

Watling-street Road
      Old Chester Turnpike Road
      Old and New Warren House
      Walsall and Lichfield Turnpike Road
      Whittaker Lane
      Pouk Lane
      Bull Moor Lane End
      Muckley Corner
      Elder Lane
      Thornyhurst Lane
      New Road
      Park Lane

• Andy Dennis says:

In the Inclosure Act the “Carriage Road” is presumably the old turnpike now known as Barracks Lane. Is it right to infer from this that the New Road is now Cartersfield Lane and then Lynn Lane to Shenstone, where Park Lane continues?

In any case the New Road between St James’s Church and Chester Road in Ogley Hay could not have been there in 1838. This New Road, though unnamed, appears on the “c.1860′s” map in Gerald Reece’s book, p77.

The only other name not readily traceable on modern maps is Elder Lane.

• WarsawPact says:

Regarding Elder Lane, there is a road called Elderside Close, off Barnetts Lane, that was built around 20 years ago. On the land to the north of the Elderside Close (currently occupied by the cadet huts) a house is shown on the OS maps from 1876 to 1937. On those same maps, Barnetts Lane is not actually named as anything – but then, neither is the house.

I suggest that the house was called Elder House, The Elders or similar, and the road leading to it was known as Elder Lane. This would explain the subsequent naming of Elderside Close.

Circumstantial, I know – just putting the idea forward for discussion.

3. Hi folks

I’d just like to take the chance to thank Andy and Peter for their stunning work on this post. I know just how long it takes for to find stuff like they have, and the fact that they went out of their way to do so says so much about them.

Cheers, both

4. Pedro says:

Just for the record…October 1848…

LICHFIELD TURNPIKES. TOLLS TO BE LET BY AUCTION,

..to the best bidder, for one year, from the first day of January next inclusive, at the home of John Joseph Cato, the Three Crowns Inn, in the city of Lichfield, on Tuesday, the second day of November next, between the hours of twelve and two of the clock of the same day. In manner directed by the Act of Parliament passed in the 3rd and 4th years of the reign of his late Majesty King George the Fourth, “for regulating Turnpike Roads” whose tolls are let the present year, ending on the 31st day of December next, for the sums after-mentioned, above the expenses of collecting them, and will he put up in parcels or lots, at such respective sums, or such other sums, as the Trustees shall think fit. vix:

On the road from Burton to Lichfield and from thence to Wood End and Ogley Hay.

Pipe Hill Gate, Including two Side Bars, and Ogley Hay Gate ………………„………………. 506 0 0

Branstone Gate ……………………,……,……………………… 316 0 0

Wood End Gate, Including side Bar…………………………. 265 0 0

Streethay Gate…………………………271 0 0

5. Andy Dennis says:

There’s a long sequence of these in the press. Ogley Hay Gate was on Watling Street, just west of where Howdles Lane is now. I’m sure we’ve covered this before, but I can’t find it now.