2013 New year quiz!

The weather’s awful, it’s been a very wet Christmas, so I thought I’d give blog readers something to chew on over the new year week. Here’s a picture quiz to tease and provoke debate.

Answers to most of the questions can be found in the past articles of this blog, my 365daysofbiking tumblr, or by going exploring. If an answer seems obvious, it probably is…

Just to make it interesting, I’ll offer the prize of a case of Backyard Beer (or something nice to equal value if you’re a non-drinker) to the winner. There will also be sub prizes of books to people who come up with particularly good answers. The books will go on a totally arbitrary basis for contributions that catch my eye.

To give everyone a sporting chance, comments will open at 8pm tonight.

Points will be awarded to the first person to comment the correct answer to any question. All questions worth one point unless stated. After that, no points will be handed out for answering it again. I will tot up the scores as we go. Answers will only be accepted as comments to this post, and my decision will be open and final.

Remember to include the number of the question in your comment, otherwise it won’t be counted!

Don’t worry if your comment is held in moderation, I will take the submission time if necessary.

I don’t expect anyone to get lots right. If the result is a draw, I’ll hold a tie breaker. What form that will take will depend on the result.

The competition will close at 12 noon, Saturday 5th January 2013, but I’ll leave it for fun, reference and interest. My decisions will be final, and I’m doing this for fun. Please be sporting.

All images are from the local area unless stated – where they’re not, they’ll be from no more than a few miles away.

Good luck!

mysteryquiz02Question 1: Where is the above ornate house plaque (Street, bonus point for house number)?

mysteryquiz03

Question 2: Where is the above boarded up oval window?

mysteryquiz04

Question 3: Hand made and stamped W. Gilbert bricks. Where are they laid?

mysteryquiz05

Question 4: The above artwork is at Catshill Junction. Who made it, what is it called and when was it unveiled?

mysteryquiz06

Question 5: Where is this corridor?

mysteryquiz07

Question 6: What sculpture is this sign guarding, who was the artist, and why is the sign ironic? Correct spelling essential, please.

mysteryquiz08

Question 7: Further afield, this isn’t local, but it’s near, and I don’t expect anyone to get it… but where is this splendid roofline? 2 points to the correct answer.

mysteryquiz09

Question 8: Where’s this date plaque, and why is now a bit odd?

mysteryquiz10

Question 9: Groovy mosaic. But where?

mysteryquiz11

Question 10: Who are these chaps?

mysteryquiz12

Question 11: Where is this notch in the canal bank (under which bridge) and what’s it for?

mysteryquiz13

Question 12: Where’s this manhole? It’s supposed to be bolted down, but isn’t. Why should it be bolted?

mysteryquiz14

Question 13: Where was Chasewater Heaths signal box formerly in use on the British Rail network?

mysteryquiz15

Question 14: What are these people doing and where are they?

mysteryquiz16

Question 15: Further afield, but still in the borough. Where was this?

mysteryquiz17

Question 16: This horizontal barcode sign is actually on the Chester Road at Shire Oak. What was it’s purpose? Amey clearly don’t know their Streely from their elbows.

mysteryquiz18

Question 17: An interesting variety of chimneys. Which building do they crown?

mysteryquiz19

Question 18: Where and what’s the significance (historically)?

mysteryquiz20

Question 19: What are these men celebrating the completion of?

mysteryquiz21

Question 20: Who are these dapper local businessmen, and why was Sally their poster girl? (one point for each part)

mysteryquiz22

mysteryquiz23

Question 22: Where is this tail fin sticking out? Street name and house number, please.

mysteryquiz24

Question 23: Not in the immediate locality, but near, where is this splendid cow? Street name will do.

mysteryquiz25

Question 24: Where is this, and who would feel the effects if it were operated?

mysteryquiz27

Question 25: Who’s this lady?

mysteryquiz28

Question 26: When and where was this, and why weren’t we invited?

mysteryquiz29Question 27: Where is this, and where was it mistaken for?

mysteryquiz30Question 28: Where is this washtub, and what was it used for?

Rate this post...

124 Comments

• fred butler

i only know one deffinately < question 25 she was a dear relation of mine Mrs Win Williams who untill her 80;s kept the sweet shop in Walsall Wood, some low life later on burgled the shop but she kept on , lovely memories of a lovely old lady
    Regards,
    Fred Butler Chasetown..

• Well done, Fred, you’re in the lead with 1 point.

• Julielem

Q4 . Local sculptors..Julie Edwards & Ron Thompson and is it called Cycle of Life, unveiled 12 December 2005?

• Correct. Bang on the money. Covered in a recent post ‘Canal Trust’

• julielem2002

Q17 Brownhills Council House?

• karen

Number 5, Central Boys School

• karen

otherwise known as Brownhills Activity Centre

• Yep, that’s the one. Cheers.

• Correct, well done!

• karen

Is number 5 The Black Country Museum

• karen

Sorry meant number 7

• No. I could be pushed to give a clue. It’s closer, and in a north-easterly direction from Brownhills.

• Tim

Chasetown?

• julielem2002

Q27. Black Cock bridge..don’t know what it was mistaken for though

• Need the full answer, please.

• julielem2002

Q26. The site of the Staffordshire Hoard on June 4th to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee organised by Hammerwich Council

• Got to give this one to Grande Pablo as he answered it fully, sorry.

• fred butler

bob,
    I think no 6 is the sculpture at Chasewater by Brian Blumen (( have you ever seen the Bluemen, they are a band from Boston USA who look like later day smurfs) This sculpture was movved fro by the lake to tis new location some years ago. When it was first put in Chasewater I think ATV today filmed the ; unveiling:

Fred Butler.

• Fred, you’re very close. Need the right name exactly, and why the sign is a bit ironic. The answer is not far away.

• Oh, and yeah, The Blue Man Group are wonderful!

• fred butler

Suffering from ” COCKERHOOP ITIS’ last night , the name shold be Bryan Blumer ?

• fred butler

and as the other guy said ironicaly it was put there for kids to climb and play on.

• Well done, Fred. You got there in the end. A number of local sites spell poor Bryan’s name incorrectly. I dealt with this curious object in a recent post entitled ‘Conundra arising’ – the artist was a specialist in concrete play equipment, and it was indeed intended as a climbing frame.

• Grande Pablo

All from memory:
    Q5 – I remember you went for a mooch somewhere…was it Brownhills Comp?
    Q15 – Is the now demolised Norit sports stick manufacturer, opposite the new 100 Hatherton eyesore.
    Q17 – Looks like what is now the Library/Doctors etc in Brownhills – I forget what it’s called…
    Q26 – Is a beacon in the field where the hoard was found just off the A5. It was lit for the Queens Jubille beacon frenzy I recall, but invites were private for the local councillors of Hammerwich & surrounding ‘parishes’.
    Q27 – was it the Black Cock Bridge, but mistaken for Daw End?
    Of course, I may have just made it all up.

• Wow… Epic!
      Q5 – Karen got that one. The Annexe, Central Boys School or Activities Centre, whichever you want to call it.
      Q15 – Excellent! You breezed that one! The company still exist and moved to Digbeth, Birmingham, which I found out the day I wrote ‘I can’t imagine such a company surfing today’ in my 365daysofbiking journal.
      Q17 – Not The Parkview Centre/Council House, no…
      Q26 – Bang on. Recorded on the blog at the time.
      Q27 – Close, but no cigar. Answer is not too far away.

Bold effort, you bagged Q15 and Q26. You are currently in the lead with two.

• oakparkrunner

Question 25 Mrs Williams who kept a small shop in Walsall Wood, it now forms part of the Drunken Duck Public House

Question 13 was at Hademore level Crossing at Whittington Lichfield.

Question 14 Giving out bread and soup to children outside Westleyan Chapel in Walsall Wood during the 1926 strike

Question 11 dont now what bridge but was used to close a section of canal by fitting planks in the slot to corispond with another slot on the opposite side of the bridge.

Question 21 bottom of Mill road next to the canal Brownhills.

Question 17 Blind guess on this one Warreners Arms public house Brownhills

• I knew that as a railway and Walsall Wood buff, you’d do well.

Q25 – Quite right, but Fred beat you to that one.
      Q13 – Correct. I mentioned it in my 365daysofbiking over the summer, and mentioned how I used to wait at Hademore crossing and have shouted conversations with the signalman. Inside knowledge works wonders!
      Q14 – Yes, correct again. This one featured in a couple of blog posts as I couldn’t work out where the picture was taken.
      Q11 – You’re right about the purpose, but I need the location, please. I believe this can be worked out detective style or maybe by taking a walk…
      Q21 – No, the Catshill Mill still stands – it was converted into flats. The two buildings are very similar though.
      Q17 – Congratulations. The pink eaves, one extended pot and cross detail on the stacks are a real give-away.

Well done! You’re currently in the lead with 3 points.

• oakparkrunner

Question 24 There is one of these on the canal towpath on the walsall wood side of t he Clayhanger bridge. If operated it would flood the house and yard which used to belong to Jones in Clayhanger Road.

• Excellent! Exactly the answer I was looking for. I suppose the sluice is blocked off at the outfall now, but I’ve always wondered.

You now have 4 points.

• pedro

Question 13…? (click to enlarge)

• pedro

Look in the details beneath for… On 23 April 1910 Claude Graham-White’s biplane crashed here!

• Well spotted, Pedro, but Oakparkrunner beat you to it. I never knew about the water troughs. Fantastic detail, as is the plane incident!

• pedro

Question 23…At the back of this house in Lullington?…click to enlarge

• Haha – good answer, but sadly, no. It’s in more of a … commercial location.
      Those heads still creep me out!

• So… scores on the doors:

Oakparkrunner is currently leading with 4 points.
    Grande Pablo is second on 2 points.
    Fred Butler, Karen, and Julielem have 1 apiece.

Questions 4,5,13,14,15,17,25 & 26 have gone.

Questions 6,11 and 27 are there for the taking.

I think some are easy and will leave you kicking yourselves. If you go for a walk or drive tomorrow, I think 1,2,8,9,18 are really easy for the observant and I’m surprised nobody has got them.

Some of the more obscure questions, the answers are in past articles. Think laterally. Some can work with the help of things like Google Earth/maps.

Cheers for being such good sports!
    Keep head scratching, and I’ll settle up the scores again on Sunday night.

• Andy Dennis

Oh well, gere goes…
    Q3. On the bridge at Ogley Junction? (Have you missed this or have I?)
    Q6. The irony is that it was designed for children to play on; did so myself.
    Q11. Under the cross-over bridge at Catshill Junction going towards Walsall Wood, where the toll used to be.
    Q19. They had completed the drift from the Cannock Chase collieries to Anglesey Wharf.
    Q27. It is a view of Black Cock Bridge, but the article referred to said it was Pelsall Road Bridge (which crosses the canal near to the old Grove Colliery).
    Two to get.
    Thanks, Bob and Happy New Year!
    Andy

• Q3: Nope, sorry
      Q6: Quite correct, but I needed the artist’s name
      Q11: No, not there
      Q19: Yes, well spotted. Thought you might get that.
      Q27: I’m going to give you this. It’s actually Lime Lane, but it was in a Pelsall book. You clearly meant Lime Lane. Well done.

Happy new year to you too, Andy. Thanks for all your wonderful contributions to the blog. Always enjoyable and precise.

• Pedro

Q6…on a roundabout?

• Andy Dennis

Wasn’t on a roundabout back then. It perched atop a mound, I think roughly where the children’s play area is now.

• Clever, but no. I do like that.

• Andy Dennis

Q2. I knew this was on a factory somewhere could even call to mind its shape, but the penny has just dropped. It’s in Chase Road, JSF Stainless Ltd (stil there?).

• The original sign read “Fescol” for Fescol Ltd. who specialised in Fescolizing!

• That’s quite correct, later Firth Rixon, if I recall correctly. Well remembered.

• Bang on, you now have three points. Wonderful. Surprised nobody got it sooner.

• emell

Q23. Conduit street Lichfield “Butchers Row” i think…

• Brilliant! There are two; one either side of the shopfront, and they’re different. Think the shop might be Superdrug now. Beloved of Kate from Lichfield Lore.

• Question 9: Groovy mosaic. But where?
    Ravens Court – a tricky question as most people try to ignore the depressing place as they pass by!

• Oh, well played. I thought that would be first to go. It’s so Brownhills. Spent ages looking at it as a kid. There are three – two one side, one the other.
      I now wonder if they were drawn, or someone just handed a tiler mosaic tiles and told hime to ‘do something with that, Bill.’ – such are the things that trouble me these days.
      The excellent Brownhills exile Flipsy has an image of one on Flickr:

• Question 21: This derelict corn mill was demolished several decades ago. Where was it?

In the Grove Pit area overlooking the Cannock Extension Canal near the S-bend bridge?

• Excellent, another correct answer. Kids of a certain age will recall playing in the derelict shell. Always wondered if it was built by the same people as the Catshill Flour Mill.

• emell

Q.20 Craddocks Cash and Carry, Lichfield Rd Brownhills.

• emell – thats right and you pointed me to this……

Graham, Roy and Lorin Craddock, directors of A.H. Craddock Limited.

Sally Wise, the ‘wise, average housewife’ was the mascot of North of England Wholesale Grocers Association (NEWGA) of which Craddocks were part.
      (I only know this because I spotted the contribution on BBBB….. after the clue from emell)

• Bang on… since Emell gave you the clue, one each.

• emell

We moved to Brownhills around 1969 and Roy & Margaret Craddock were our next door neighbours on Seeds Lane.

• Yes, of course. Lovely image of the three chaps. The only word is dapper. Smart just doesn’t cover. Sadly, you only get one point as you needed the Sally wise detail that BrownhillsDavidNotBob supplied… but since you gave him the clue you can have one each.

• Tim

Q 22………60A Lindon rd……….Painted the inside of this top flat a few years ago, building belongs to Steve Watson (frequents the Drunken Duck) and he told me it’s a complete shell but I didn’t have a look through the ceiling hatch to confirm this!

• Rose Burnell

Q20 already answered I know but just have to say look at my lovely handsome grandad in the middle 🙂 x

P.S. I asked him about Sally and he hadn’t got the foggiest so thanks for the answer!

• Sally Wise was a big thing, believe it or not. I completely forgot about it until Tony Turner dug it out. Love how all the grocers in the graphic are wearing aprons.
        Anyone remember the countrywide ‘Price Check’ campaign? (not Newga specific)?
        Must say, all three chaps look dapper in that one. One on the left has a bit of a Buddy Holly thing going on…
        I’ll be scoring up later (totals, that is)

• Rose Burnell

2 is one of the windows of the canoe centre by tesco on silver at.

9 The mosaic is in the side of shoe zone in ravens court.

• Q2 Nope, Andy got that one. JSF Stainless on the Chase/Ogley Road
          Q9 Correct, but BrownhillsDavidNotBob got that one earlier.

Bad luck, Rose!

• Rose Burnell

2 is one of the windows of the canoe centre by tesco on silver at.

9 The mosaic is in the side of shoe zone in ravens court

• 100% correct. Lovely detail, there. Used to be Neville’s barbershop, and Maurice Baker’s workshop for a while. Never knew what the joke was about, though.

• Scores so far:

Oakparkrunner has 4 points.
    Andy Dennis has 4 points.
    BrownhillsDavidNotBob has 3 points.
    Emell has 2 points.
    Grande has 2 points.
    Fred Butler has 2 points.
    Karen,Tim and Julielem have 1 apiece.

Questions 2,4,5,6,9,13,14,15,17,18,20,21,22,23,25,26,27 and 30 have gone.

Question 11 needs to be thought about rationally. I will say as a clue that it’s between Catshill Junction and Chasewater. There is a clue in the image to the actual location.

I think some are easy and will leave you kicking yourselves. If you go for a walk or drive tomorrow, I think 1,8,18 are really easy for the observant and I’m still surprised nobody has got them.

I’m quite surprised nobody has had a pop at 10. The image is from the blog.

I’ve talked about 16. Fairly recently.

Are you all perhaps thinking about 18 a bit too deeply?

Question 28 was part of a large feature here in the last 12 months.

Question 29 (int the latter post) is featured by a reader of this blog on a certain photo-sharing website I’m fond of. I never knew about it, and it’s a remarkable spot.

I’m loving the way you’ve all got into this. Thank you!

Keep looking – as they say, the truth is out there.

• Andy Dennis

Q28. I left this as it seemed so easy it must already have gone. It is (or was) outside the house a little way off Green Lane, Walsall Wood, more or less opposite the Black Cock. It had been the Royal Oak, Bullings Heath, as wonderfully researched by David Evans – http://brownhillsbob.com/2012/08/26/the-royal-oak-bullings-heath-explorations-in-local-history-2/) – who tells us it was used for washing glasses.

• Well done, Andy. You now have 5 points.

• Pedro

Q12…thought of Shire Oak Reservoir, but the manhole cover shown is square and raised. It should be bolted to stop Brownhills Bob from going down and having a look!

• Interesting. I have been on both sides of the manhole, and the bolts aren’t to prevent access. They’re for another reason.

• pedro

Q8…something that was built in 1874 seems to be Collier’s Cottage, a former Lock Keeper’s Cottage…

122 Pelsall Road, Brownhills

• Nice lateral thinking, but no, sadly.

• Andy Dennis

Q8. I genuinely don’t know the answer, but maybe the fact of Walsall Wood Colliery opening in 1874 is a clue?
    Q18. I don’t want to take all the easy ones. Many readers will have passed this a thousand times and more as it’s on one of the busiest roads on the patch and pretty much stares you in the face.

• It’s not a clue, no, and when you realise where it is, you’ll kick yourself. Even more prominent than q18. It’s actually mentioned in a prominent local history book. There’s something oddly distinctive about the placement and shape, too.

• Grande Pablo

Q18 wouldn’t be on the side of the Wheel Inn on Lindon Road?

• Streetview, or panoramio could help. So the significance might be…?

• Andy Dennis

Presumably, the reference is to the winding gear at Walsall Wood Colliery.

• In accordance with Andy’s wishes, I’m going to give the point to Grande Pablo. Yes, the wheel is still there, I recorded it this evening. I never realised the allusion to the colliery until the lad [Howmuch?] pointed it out to me.

• Grande Pablo, you now have 3 points

• caz

Hi Bob, why have i not logged in for a few days…i’ve been missing the fun.
    q4 catshill junction artwork called ‘the cycle of life’ made from malleable cast iron by Julie Edwards and Ron Thompson of ‘planet art’ was unveiled on 12th December 2005.

• Quite correct, sadly Julie Le Moine beat you to it!

• Andy Dennis

Q8. Well, well, well. The scene of a childhood battle! The story I was told, being too young to remember is that I was parked outside Holmes’s fruit and veg in my pram. As Mum pushed off another pram came the other way and its occupant picked up a carrot and offered it to me. No second invitation was needed. There followed a trial of strength between my tiny fingers and an increasingly exasperated mother!
    Anyway, it’s along that stretch of old shops, a few doors from Claridges. Downes used to be along there before Ravenscourt. It’s the keystone to an arch that is no more. I can remember a small van (A30?) being cajoled through the arch and being reveresed rather tentatively onto the High Street while pedestrians backed up along the pavement.
    I guess it’s like the wheel – it’s always been there and for that reason gets no attention, until some chap puts a sketch of it on page 51 of his book. Another “bravo, Gerald!” moment.

• That’s the one. You’re now on 6 points. Like the mosaic, I’m really surprised this didn’t go quicker.

• oakparkrunner

Question 6 is the sculpure by Bryan Blumer, called Monkey Pull, designed as a childrens climbing frame, now situated on the island at Chasewater Park entrance.

Question 11 I think is under the cast iron bridge at Anglesey basin, used to close a section of canal by blocking the water flow with wooden planks in the slot and a corrisponding one on the opposite side of the canal.

• Andy Dennis

Q11. Do you mean Ogley Basin?

• oakparkrunner

Yes you are right, it is Ogley basin, where the Anglesey branch starts from which goes from there to Chasewater, via Anglesey Wharf. Regards Godfrey.

• q6: Excellent answer. In my research I never discovered the name ‘Monkey pull’ – Fred got there first, sadly, but I think that deserves a bonus prize of something. Stay tuned.

• Q11 – correct purpose, wrong location, sorry.

• Clive

Q15, Hi Bob, I believe this photo was the building of; Arnold Miller, maker of umberellas, location the corner of Hatherton st and Littleton st, Walsall.

• Quite correct, but sadly Grande Pablo beat you to the wire!

• Clive

Q23. The photo of the cows head are on the front of the Savers shop, Conduit st, next to st Mary Church, Lichfield. just by where they hold the market.

• Again, excellent answer, but beaten to the point by Emell

• dave cottle

the answer to question 29 is no 1 vernon avenue on the junction of gt. charles st. formerly belonging to the teece family.

• Brilliant answer, 100% correct. 2 points!

• Latest scores on the doors:

Andy Dennis has 6 points.
    Fred Butler has 4 points.
    Oakparkrunner has 4 points.

BrownhillsDavidNotBob has 3 points.
    Grande Pablo has 3 points.
    Dave Cottle has 2 points.
    Emell has 2 points.

Karen,Tim. Pedro and Julielem have 1 apiece.

All questions except 1,3,7,12 and 16 have gone.

Question 7 is to the north east of Brownhills. It has watery connotations.

There’s a whole lot of real ale – brewed in Brownhills – at stake here. Noted ale-arse The Stymaster raves about Backyard’s Hoard Ale. There are five questions left, and with a concerted effort, a back marker could clinch it!

Thanks for all being such good sports.

There’s more quirky stuff in our area than we could really imagine. I have enough material for another quiz, which I may run over easter if you’re up for it. Let me know what you think.

• Angela Hodgkinson

Love the quiz, only just found it.

I think that Q12 is an access cover at Chasewater. I could only find one reference to cover being bolted down, to prevent a heavy flow the from blowing through it.

• Sorry to be picky, It’s a specific one, and was featured here. You’re correct about general location, and why it should be bolted.

• Angela Hodgkinson

Do you mean that it is at the foot of the brick sluice?

• No, it’s not that one, but it’s in that system.

• Angela Hodgkinson

Farside of canal.

• Yes. I actually explored this drain, and stood beneath that hatch. The entry to the system is from the top opt the spillway, some metres above. Were the system to fill with water, the chance of percussion removing the drain hatches is very real. This would then vent the flood into the marsh around Anglesey Wharf which would be disastrous. It should vent down the Crane Brook channel.

• All questions except 1,3,7,12 and 16 have gone.
    ■Andy Dennis has mentioned the answer to question 1 in a very recent piece of research.
    ■Question 3 is staring you in the face. It’s on the Anglesey branch, and may be a later addition.
    ■Question 7 is to the north east of Brownhills. It has watery connotations.
    ■The manhole in 12 has also featured on the blog, although it may take a bit of thought to answer the bolting aspect. Come on folks, where did I go nosing around?
    ■I’ve talked about 16. It’s featured on my 365daysofbiking, and from my post about that, you can click through to a browsable thumbnail archive. Go for it.

BrownhillsBob says five to go – I say, are the following pointing in the right direction or signs of desperation?

Q1 – near a pub that should provide mint sauce?
    Q3 – under Telford’s super highway?
    Q7 – still have no idea…..
    Q12 – is this hard to SPOT ?
    Q16 – for a drive-by laser zap ?

• Naughty, but go on, since it’s you…

Q1. Near, yes.
      Q3. Yes. One of a Brownhillian kind.
      Q7. Think of a place with an odd, water related name between here and lichfield. Then go exploring on street view.
      Q12. Angela has the area, so no; but oddly, it was a story you contributed to. There was a big fat clue at the top of the last results post!
      q16. Yes, but nothing to do with speed.

OK?

• Clive

Q12. Hi Bob, the manhole cover is opposite Harley close on the Lindon Road. theres an under ground storm water resevior. The bolts on the lid are to stop it being blown off by the water presure.

• You’re wrong about the location, but quite correct about the bolts. Bad luck!

• Angela Hodgkinson

Q16 – To automatically assess road maintenance. Unique marker used to record location of the defect etc.

• Well done, Angela, you got it. It’s a remnant of a system created before GPS (Satnav) was easily and widely available. I featured it on my 365daysofbiking on September 8th 2012. It really is an odd thing indeed – most have been removed now.
      Surprised that with his background, Andy didn’t get that one, but perhaps he was being generous. Well done.

• Andy Dennis

I like the idea of being considered generous, but I never got round to asking about this.

• Hahg. There were one or two I think you could have answered, so I maintain my generosity assertion ;0)

• Last chance, folks.

The competition closes at 12 Noon today, 5th January 2012. Answers received after that time will not be counted.

Running scores:
    Andy Dennis has 6 points.
    Fred Butler has 4 points.
    Oakparkrunner has 4 points.

BrownhillsDavidNotBob has 3 points.
    Grande Pablo has 3 points.
    Emell has 3 points.
    Dave Cottle has 2 points.

Karen, Tim, Pedro, Angela Hodgkinson and Julielem have 1 apiece.

Only questions 1,3,7 and 12 Remain.

Additional clues to the remaining questions can be found in answer to BrownhillsDaveNot Bob’s fishing expedition at:

Question 7 is to the north east of Brownhills. It has water connotations.
    The manhole in 12 has also featured on the blog, and now we know why it should be bolted, to prevent water from blowing the top off.

, and good luck

• Right folks, competition has now closed. Thanks for all your entries. We’ll have a winner shortly…

• warren

HA HA! I GOT NUMBER 7 WHILE OUT TODAY. ITS ON THE WALSALL ROAD TO WALL LANE, NAMED ALDERWAY COTTAGES I THINK. BETTER LATE THAN NEVER.

• warren

sorry for the caps lock i was trying to type up while my dad was blasting my ear down the phone lol..i was actually taking a photo at the disused level crossing down the road when i spied the roof-line. i thought i know i have seen that before.

• dave cottle

thanks bob didnt expect a prize but will be greatly appreciated cheers my address is

[address removed]

• No problem, Dave, it was a great answer! Give me about a week to sort out the postage. Would you like Memories of Brownhills Past, or A Picture Tour of Rushall, Brownhills and Pelsall?

• dave cottle

Thanks Bob would like memories of Brownhills Past please..PS. keep up the good work
        regards dave.

• dave cottle

thanks Bob,have just received my book many thanks for the time and trouble you have gone to
        to make this all worth while regards dave.

• Toney Ferriman

Do you mind if I share this with my Facebook group? I always give credit where it is due, and I find this fascinating.

1. New year quiz: Competition hotting up | BrownhillsBob's Brownhills Blog  December 30, 2012

[…] Cheers for all your wonderfully sporting answers to the new year quiz! […]

2. Happy New Year! | BrownhillsBob's Brownhills Blog  December 31, 2012

[…] 2013 New Year quiz is still open and still has questions going for the asking. There’s been a great response so […]

3. 2013 New Year quiz: only five questions left | BrownhillsBob's Brownhills Blog  January 4, 2013

[…] 2013 New Year Quiz closes at Noon, this Saturday, 5th January 2013. I’m amazed at how popular it’s been […]

4. Competition closes 12 noon today, 5th January 2012 | BrownhillsBob's Brownhills Blog  January 5, 2013

[…] 2013 new year competition closes at 12 Noon today, 5th January 2012. Answers received after that time will not be […]

5. 2013 New Year competition winners! | BrownhillsBob's Brownhills Blog  January 5, 2013

[…] 2013 New Year Quiz  has now closed, and we have a winner. The final scores are as […]

6. The past, by George! | BrownhillsBob's Brownhills Blog  May 24, 2013

[…] Andy Dennis had a bit of a fracas outside this greengrocer, and Starbucks Butchers was […]

7. Got any questions? | BrownhillsBob's Brownhills Blog  December 24, 2013

[…] making preparations for this year’s Christmas/New Year quiz competition thing, since last year’s was such a great success. I want to do a section of questions from readers. Get your thinking caps on, and submit me a […]