Walsall Wood recent match roundup

As many of you will know, the Evans clan of late have had a lot to sort out and deal with, so the the regular father and son football correspondent duties have had to go on the back burner for a while.

Thankfully, Simon at least is getting back in the game and this weekend send me the following précis of some recent matches.

I thank Simon for these reports and wish him, David and all the family well. The footy will still be here when you get back, lads!

Simon Evans wrote:

It’s not been plain sailing for The Woodmen of late. Image kindly supplied by David Evans.

Tuesday 20th November 2018
Walsall Senior Cup
Walsall Wood 1 v 2 RAF

Wood made a number of changes for the match. The early chances fell to the RAF, Wood keeper Reiss Wagstaff the busier of the keepers.

Wood created chances but the RAF defence stood firm. Midway through the first half, Darren Byfield’s shot found the back of the net. 1-0 Wood.

The second half saw the RAF ramp up the pressure, only some last ditch defending from Kyle Rowley prevented an equaliser. Still the RAF piled on the pressure and it was no surprise when they equalised. 1-1. Soon it got worse for Wood – a speculative cross shot found it’s way into the back of the Wood net 1-2. 

Wood replied but couldn’t find the equalising goal. FT 1-2

Saturday 24th November 2018
Sporting Khalsa 1 v 1 Walsall Wood
Midland Premier league

Wood gave a debut to new player Eli Bako.

Khalsa had the better of the opening exchanges, Reiss Wagstaff pulling off some great saves. Wood started to get a foot hold and soon a great through ball found Bako who calmly slotted the ball into the net 0-1.

In the second half  Khalsa came back, but Wood’s defence stood firm. In the 91st minute Khalsa got their equalising goal.  FT 1-1

Tuesday 27th November 2018
Wolves Sporting 4  v 0 Walsall Wood   
Midland Premier league

Wolves sporting started the brighter and after 3 minutes, a defensive mix up saw them go 1-0 up.

Wood responded but the Wolves defence stood strong and solid. Soon it was 2-0 to Wolves. Wood had no response to that.

On the stroke of half time a Wolves freekick was drilled into the Wood wall, the ball fell to the Wolves player who’s long range curling effort found the back of the net 3-0.

The second half Wood played all their strikers, but the Wolves defence was tight.

Midway through the second half Wolves scored their 4th goal. The remaining minutes saw Wolves attack, Woods defence somehow managed to clear the danger. FT 4-0.  

Simon Evans

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.