Because you’re free to read this blog
- September 15th - Returning to Birmingham via Snow Hill station,... September 15, 2014
- September 15th - I spent the afternoon in Droitwich. This piece... September 15, 2014
- September 14th - Back up on Cannock Chase for the first time in... September 15, 2014
- September 14th - The boating lake at Chasewater has been drained... September 15, 2014
- September 13th - I whizzed up to Walsall Wood in the morning on... September 13, 2014
- September 12th - Conkers, by the shedload. The tree in Festival... September 13, 2014
- September 12th - I needed to pop into Lichfield, so I rushed... September 13, 2014
- September 11th - Less charming than the sunflower, but... September 12, 2014
- September 11th - In Darlaston Green, a sight to bring joy to the... September 11, 2014
- September 11th - I only went and forgot the camera again. This... September 11, 2014
- September 10 - Riding home along Green Lane between Shelfield... September 11, 2014
- September 10th - I’m not on form this week, not even... September 11, 2014
Top Posts & Pages
- Ravens Court - Something is happening, but what?
- When the dam burst
- Living on the skyline
- Tool burglary in Clayhanger: did you see these lads?
- Plane bizarre
- Did you know the late Thomas Williams?
- Scouting out the history
- What's this stuff about, then?
- You can't polish a turd
- The Wood still on the up as they beat Kirby Muxloe
- 1,672,648 hits
- 2013 2014 Accident Aldridge appeal Bill Shaw Brian Stringer Brownhills Brownhills common Brownhills local history Brownhills Market Canal Chasewater Chasewater Dam Chasewater Wildlife Group Cheap tat Clayhanger cuts Cycle rides cycling David Evans Derelict event Events Express & Star Facebook FC football Footy Good of the Wood history home Lichfield local blogs Local History Local politics match review Mike Bird New Photos Oak Park Old maps Panoramio Peter Cutler planning Police Politics Pubs Ravens Court Redevelopment Report Reservoir result Saturday Shire Oak Silly soccer Social media Staffordshire Stonnall Tesco Tesco Development The Plastic Hippo The YamYam Things to do Twitter Vandalism Walsall Walsall Council Walsall Police Walsall politics Walsall Wood Walsall WOod FC Watling Street West Midlands Police Wildlife
- RT @PaulThomas992: #ScotlandDecides PANDA NEWS'Yes' publicity seeker Nicola Sturgeon criticised for trying to measure Tian Tian's dilation … 2 hours ago
- RT @MediocreDave: In a fedora. 2 hours ago
- RT @MediocreDave: Galloway; homophobe, misogynist, Stalinist, anti-Semite, British unionist, politically incoherent charlatan thug. 2 hours ago
- RT @adrianshort: You're British. You love the NHS. But would any mainstream party set it up today if it didn't already exist? #indyref 2 hours ago
© BrownhillsBobAll rights reserved - material not to be reused without permission.
Blogs I Follow
- Edinburgh Wildlife
- DARLASTON REMEMBERS
- West Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust
- Aer Reg
- Stickymackhouse my life and other things
- Life At 50mm
- Studio Living
- Diary of a Four Wheeled Wonder Woman
- The Friends of Sandfields Pumping Station
- Chasewaterstuff's Railway & Canal Blog
- Chasewater Railway Museum
- Diary of a Gimpy Kid
- Handed on
- All the Days and Nights
- Pye Corner Audio – The Black Mill Video Tape
- Pye Corner Audio – Sleep Games
- Not waving – Like Shooting A Fish In A Barrel
- Not waving – Enemies Of The People
- Not waving – Two-Way Mirror
- Not waving – Protect The Revolution
- Pye Corner Audio – One Time Pad
- Pye Corner Audio – Shared Secret Key
- Pye Corner Audio – Twisted Wire Pair
- Pye Corner Audio – Perfect Secrecy Forever
- Chasewater Strollers September 22, 2014 at 9:30 am – 1:00 pm Chasewater Innovation Centre, Burntwood, Lichfield District, Un ited Kingdom Buggy social strolling group for parents & toddlers http://bro wnhillsbob.com/2014/04/20/stroll-on/ https://www.facebook.com/Chasewaterst rollers
Tag Archives: steam engine
Yesterday, I featured a fascinating analysis of a great picture of steam locomotive at Brownhills Station in the early part of last century, sent in by reader Ian Pell = the picture originated in a press release for the upcoming Walsall Local History Centre exhibition entitled Brownhills Past & Present.
Yesterday, I posted about a new exhibition coming to the Walsall Local History Centre on the subject of Brownhills Past & Present – Stuart Williams had supplied some really great images with the exhibition press release, one of them being of a steam locomotive at Brownhills Station from ‘the early 1900s’.
I should have known, really. No sooner had I delved into the fascinating world of the Brownhills surge stack, then Ian Pell, railway historian extraordinaire, had written to me with a whole bunch of new information, clarifications and even a few questions.
It seems like we’re in a period for odd historical tangents and discoveries. It all started with Peter ‘Pedro’ Cutler’s classic bit of gentrified nimbyism from ‘Captain’ Harrison at Aldershaw(e). From there, we alighted at Sandfields Pumping Station at Lichfield, and found a wonderful, but neglected steam engine. We’ve found since, via Peter’s further diligent research, and that of Dave Moore, a chap clearly expert on the matter, that there was a long forgotten water tower in Brownhills.