Because you’re free to read this blog
- January 30th - These images don’t look much, but click on... January 31, 2015
- January 30th - A long day. Out early, the commute was odd. I... January 31, 2015
- January 29th - I rode home in a heavy, but short snow shower,... January 30, 2015
- January 29th - I love goats, and it seems we have a local herd... January 30, 2015
- January 28th - And this is the thing with Darlaston - it takes... January 29, 2015
- January 28th - Bit of a rough photograph, for some reason, and I... January 29, 2015
- January 27th - Heading back to Brownhills, dusk now getting... January 28, 2015
- January 27th - It’s been over a year since I reported the... January 28, 2015
- January 26th - In the centre of Darlaston, at the other end of... January 27, 2015
- January 26th - Passing through Kings Hill in Darlaston whilst... January 27, 2015
- January 25th - This had turned into Lloyd Cole’s lost... January 26, 2015
- January 24th - Despite the gradual shift to white LED lights,... January 26, 2015
Top Posts & Pages
- April 1992 - Diamonds are Forever for Local Pair
- In the Middle
- Motorbike stolen from Brownhills last Thursday - can you help?
- Be alert - Vehicle vandalism incidents in Shire Oak
- Snow blind
- Party like its... 1998?
- Walsall Wood Tesco Express to close
- A message of thanks from Brian Stringer...
- Recovered history
- Polished oak
- 2,042,113 hits
- 2013 2014 Accident Aldridge appeal away Bill Shaw Brian Stringer Brownhills Brownhills common Brownhills local history Brownhills Market Canal Chasewater Chasewater Dam Chasewater Wildlife Group Cheap tat Clayhanger Cycle rides cycling David Evans Derelict Events Express & Star Facebook FC football Footy Good of the Wood history home Lichfield local blogs Local History Local politics Lost match review Mike Bird mining New Photos Oak Park Old maps Panoramio planning Police Politics Pubs Ravens Court Redevelopment Report Reservoir result Saturday Shire Oak Silly soccer Social media Staffordshire Stonnall Tesco Tesco Development The Plastic Hippo The YamYam Things to do Twitter Vandalism Walsall Walsall Council Walsall Police Walsall politics Walsall Wood Walsall WOod FC Watling Street West Midlands Police Wildlife
- RT @dazdrewett: @AndyCavster @SamSussex not from Brownhills son not me & my boys let's ave it http://t.co/I0J1lMRpbX 45 minutes ago
- RT @WS7weather: WS7 weather report for Hammerwich, Lichfield, Burntwood, Brownhills, Bloxwich and Pelsall areas. wp.me/p18lQi-1kL 45 minutes ago
- Interesting to see yesrterday's Guardian calling out John Lewis online for piss-poor customer service. Never again. 1 hour ago
- RT @wyrleyblog: 12.30 am, 1916... the L19 bombs Walsall. The crew all die a slow death the same night. War....... Nobody wins... When will … 11 hours ago
- RT @thepunningman: I HAD THE TIME OF MY LIFE AND I NEVER FELT THIS WAY BEFORE http://t.co/POeUOOrOX3 11 hours ago
© BrownhillsBobAll rights reserved - material not to be reused without permission.
Blogs I Follow
- BrownhillsBob's Brownhills Blog
- Edinburgh Wildlife
- DARLASTON REMEMBERS
- West Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust
- Aer Reg
- Stickymackhouse my life and other things
- Life At 50mm
- Studio Living
- Diary of a Four Wheeled Wonder Woman
- The Friends of Sandfields Pumping Station
- Chasewaterstuff's Railway & Canal Blog
- Chasewater Railway Museum
- Mental Health Cop
- Diary of a Gimpy Kid
- Handed on
- All the Days and Nights
- Tangerine Dream – Cinnamon Road
- Blur – Song 2
- Big Country – The Crossing
- Epic45 – Summer Message
- Steve Miller Band – Jet Airliner
- Dave Brubeck – Unsquare Dance
- Oysterband – Another Quiet Night In England
- The Advisory Circle – Beyond The Wychelm
- Kirsty MacColl – Soho Square
- Lemon Jelly – '79 aka The Shouty Track
- Chasewater Strollers February 9, 2015 at 9:30 am – 1:00 pm Chasewater Innovation Centre, Burntwood, Lichfield District, Un ited Kingdom Buggy social strolling group for parents & toddlers http://bro wnhillsbob.com/2014/04/20/stroll-on/ https://www.facebook.com/Chasewaterst rollers
- Chasewater Strollers February 16, 2015 at 9:30 am – 1:00 pm Chasewater Innovation Centre, Burntwood, Lichfield District, Un ited Kingdom Buggy social strolling group for parents & toddlers http://bro wnhillsbob.com/2014/04/20/stroll-on/ https://www.facebook.com/Chasewaterst rollers
- Chasewater Strollers February 23, 2015 at 9:30 am – 1:00 pm Chasewater Innovation Centre, Burntwood, Lichfield District, Un ited Kingdom Buggy social strolling group for parents & toddlers http://bro wnhillsbob.com/2014/04/20/stroll-on/ https://www.facebook.com/Chasewaterst rollers
Tag Archives: Peter Cutler
Last week I featured an article by local history Rapscallion Peter ‘Pedro’ Cutler about a text, available for free via Google Books called ‘Black Diamonds or the Gospel in a Colliery District’ written around 1860 by mystery author HHB.
This is an important one, and I think there may well be more to follow, as top local history wonk Peter ‘Pedro’ Cutler is not one to let sleeping dogs – or local history matters that are niggling him – lie.
The interesting history of William Roberts – the father of modern Brownhills – continues, and this time, Peter ‘pedro’ Cutler has taken issue with some other, intersecting local history, and just when exactly William Roberts came to Brownhills as a lad, and where he lived when his family moved here.
Back to William Roberts, then – railway plate layer, ganger, publican, entrepreneur, civic stalwart, JP and philanthropist – a very rare man in his time, he appears to have been generous, considerate, imbued with a real sense of social justice, and was undoubtedly a sharp-dealing rogue too.
There’s something I’ve been needing to get off my chest for a good while, and it won’t go away – however, recent finds and articles on the blog have brought it to the fore in my mind, and this is as good a juncture as any to brooch the subject: William Roberts is not recognised enough in our collective history.