Because you’re free to read this blog
- December 3rd - An evening ride up to Walsall Wood had me... December 3, 2013
- December 3rd - A better day today. The bug had receded, and I... December 3, 2013
- December 2nd - Still unwell, I had important stuff to attend to... December 3, 2013
- December 1st - I swung past St. James Church in Brownhills to... December 2, 2013
- December 1st - First of all, my apologies. On my main blog I... December 2, 2013
- November 30th - Brownhills has been spoiled rotten this year by... November 30, 2013
- November 30th - A terrible day beset by daft problems, but... November 30, 2013
- November 29th - I was out early, as the sun rose. I had to go to... November 30, 2013
- November 28th - Oh my, this is a geeky thing. I spotted on the... November 28, 2013
- November 28th - I don’t know who this cat is, but she has... November 28, 2013
- November 27th - I came back to Brownhills late, and on an oddly... November 28, 2013
- November 27th - Today, I spotted something I’d never... November 27, 2013
Top Posts & Pages
- Purity was the gift
- Desperately seeking... Bobby
- Christmas stories and crafts for kids at the library this Saturday!
- The end and the beginning
- Fist of Glory, fists of rage
- Sweet James
- House fire in Walsall Wood last night
- Police helicopter in Brownhills?
- Keep out of Cotterill's road...
- Walsall Road, Springhill: on Islands
- 1,023,997 hits
- 2013 Aldridge Andy Dennis bike cam Brownhills Brownhills common Brownhills local history Brownhills Market Canal Chasewater Chasewater Dam Chasewater Wildlife Group Cheap tat Clayhanger Countryside Services cuts Cycle rides cycling David Evans Derelict Events Express & Star Facebook FC football Footy Good of the Wood Graham Evans history Lichfield Lichfield District Council Lichfield Mercury local blogs Local History Local politics Memories of Brownhills Past Mike Bird mining New Photos Oak Park Ogley Hay Old maps Ordnance Survey Panoramio Peter Cutler planning Police Politics Pubs Ravens Court Redevelopment Reservoir Shire Oak Silly soccer Social media Social Services Staffordshire Stonnall Tesco Tesco Development The Plastic Hippo The YamYam Things to do Twitter Vandalism Walsall Walsall Council Walsall Housing Group Walsall Police Walsall politics Walsall Wood Walsall WOod FC West Midlands Police Wildlife
- RT @ligomersall: BILLIONS of pounds of taxpayers' cash will kick start second nuclear power station plan - Mirror Online http://t.co/xC1pUf… 1 hour ago
- RT @HadleyFreeman: An interesting timeline about Tom Daley's announcement. If - *IF* - he was forced by the Sun, that is despicable http://… 1 hour ago
- RT @TheMediaTweets: Well this is just a ridiculous front page... http://t.co/0APVrWDssF (bia @suttonnick) 1 hour ago
- Dogs in the naughty corner i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/793489… 1 hour ago
- Excited fox is excited i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/793496… 1 hour ago
© BrownhillsBobAll rights reserved - material not to be reused without permission.
Blogs I Follow
- Life At 50mm
- Studio Living
- Diary of a Four Wheeled Wonder Woman
- BrownhillsBob's Brownhills Blog
- The Friends of Sandfields Pumping Station
- Chasewaterstuff's Railway & Canal Blog
- Chasewater Railway Museum
- Diary of a Gimpy Kid
- Handed on
- All the Days and Nights
- Stuff Jimm Rennie Does
- 150 great things about the Underground
- Getting There
- Atomic Spin
- Neil Halstead – Digging Shelters
- Tangerine Dream – Alchemy Of The Heart
- Tangerine Dream – Smile
- Tangerine Dream – 21st Century Common Man (Part One)
- Tangerine Dream – Song Of The Whale Part Two - ...To Dusk
- Tangerine Dream – Ride on the Ray
- Tangerine Dream – Song of the whale part one - from dawn...
- Tangerine Dream – Vanishing Blue
- Tangerine Dream – Le Parc (L.A. Streethawk)
- Tangerine Dream – Yellowstone Park (Rocky Mountains)
Tag Archives: football
Longstanding reader and contributor to the Brownhills Blog David Oakley writes to me to raise this interesting question – it seems there was a third local footballer of note hereabouts, as well as the Great Dickie Dorsett and Cecil Poynton.
Back in May, 2013, Peter ‘Pedro’ Cutler turned up the intriguing story of Cecil Poynton, a footballer of some note from Brownhills, and at the time, we could find little about the chap, and it seemed that in the annals of local sporting history, Cecil was somewhat overshadowed by the seemingly more well-know Dickie Dorsett, whose career has been covered here previously.
Walsall Wood Football Club today play Guernsey FC away, in a re-run of the match last week at Oak Park that ended in a gripping stalemate 0-0 draw. Walsall Wood have generally been on a bit of a winning streak lately, and beating the boys in green is not an impossibility.
Andy Roper from Walsall Wood Football Club has been online drumming up support for the club’s upcoming match against Guernsey FC. Our small local team have been on a bit of a winning streak lately, and by all accounts this promises to be a bit of a David and Goliath epic, and I’m sure everyone in the Midlands is behind the boys from Up The Wood.
Here’s an odd little one for the football buffs. I know very little about this clipping other than the text that accompanies it. Reader Dave sent it me a couple of weeks ago, and I’ve been trying to fit it … Continue reading
I was recently contacted by reader Richard Lee, who gently suggested that I was missing something with my local history coverage. Richard was quite right, I have left untouched a quite large piece of Brownhills history – the fact the we … Continue reading
Reader and contributor Daryl Preston has supplied some great material for the Brownhills Blog. Not only did he supply the excellent photo from the Middle Oak (latterly restored beautifully by Lisa Downes), but he appears to be a sporting gentleman, … Continue reading
Following yesterday’s post featuring the excellent ephemera kindly sent in by David Evans surrounding the Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Church in Walsall Wood, David has again been busy with the scanner and sent me more great stuff for publication on the blog. … Continue reading