Because you’re free to read this blog
- December 5th - Without a functioning rail service, there was no... December 6, 2013
- December 5th - It wasn’t a great day for train travel in... December 6, 2013
- December 4th - Also in South Wigston, a postie’s bike. I... December 4, 2013
- December 4th - I was in Leicester again, but on a better day.... December 4, 2013
- December 4th - Circumstances appear to have dictated that sadly,... December 4, 2013
- December 3rd - An evening ride up to Walsall Wood had me... December 3, 2013
- December 3rd - A better day today. The bug had receded, and I... December 3, 2013
- December 2nd - Still unwell, I had important stuff to attend to... December 3, 2013
- December 1st - I swung past St. James Church in Brownhills to... December 2, 2013
- December 1st - First of all, my apologies. On my main blog I... December 2, 2013
- November 30th - Brownhills has been spoiled rotten this year by... November 30, 2013
- November 30th - A terrible day beset by daft problems, but... November 30, 2013
Top Posts & Pages
- New local history book out soon!
- Walsall Wood FC unexpectedly back in the game - this Saturday!
- Christmas stories and crafts for kids at the library this Saturday!
- Purity was the gift
- The end and the beginning
- Woodmen no match for Tulips
- Fist of Glory, fists of rage
- Urban Exploration at Linley Caverns, in 1957
- Sweet James
- What's this stuff about, then?
- 1,025,232 hits
- 2013 Aldridge Andy Dennis bike cam Brownhills Brownhills common Brownhills local history Brownhills Market Canal Chasewater Chasewater Dam Chasewater Wildlife Group Cheap tat Clayhanger Countryside Services cuts Cycle rides cycling David Evans Derelict Events Express & Star Facebook FC football Footy Good of the Wood Graham Evans history Lichfield Lichfield District Council Lichfield Mercury local blogs Local History Local politics Memories of Brownhills Past Mike Bird mining New Photos Oak Park Ogley Hay Old maps Ordnance Survey Panoramio Peter Cutler planning Police Politics Pubs Ravens Court Redevelopment Reservoir Shire Oak Silly soccer Social media Social Services Staffordshire Stonnall Tesco Tesco Development The Plastic Hippo The YamYam Things to do Twitter Vandalism Walsall Walsall Council Walsall Housing Group Walsall Police Walsall politics Walsall Wood Walsall WOod FC West Midlands Police Wildlife
- RT @SavvyShopper6: Flies, dirt and grease found at sweet shop expressandstar.com/news/crime/201… via @ExpressAndStar 18 minutes ago
- RT @RogerQuimbly: Piers Morgan is only using Twitter as a tool. 26 minutes ago
- RT @KateVotesLabour: Latest yougov - Labour 12 point lead. People in mids & north aren't seeing recovery. Up here, all we want for Christma… 27 minutes ago
- RT @LichfieldLore: Lichfield Gazette with my article on Basque Refugees at Elford has arrived. Hope someone reading it has more info for ht… 47 minutes ago
- RT @roseofwinter: Effectively @AddisonLeeCabs are saying they don't care if their drivers admit to using their phones. Not even put on an i… 53 minutes ago
© BrownhillsBobAll rights reserved - material not to be reused without permission.
Blogs I Follow
- Life At 50mm
- Studio Living
- Diary of a Four Wheeled Wonder Woman
- BrownhillsBob's Brownhills Blog
- The Friends of Sandfields Pumping Station
- Chasewaterstuff's Railway & Canal Blog
- Chasewater Railway Museum
- Diary of a Gimpy Kid
- Handed on
- All the Days and Nights
- Stuff Jimm Rennie Does
- 150 great things about the Underground
- Getting There
- Atomic Spin
- Gary Jules – Broke Window
- Donnie Iris And The Cruisers – Ah! Leah!
- The Magnetic Fields – The Saddest Story Ever Told
- Mason Williams – Wanderlove
- Sigur Rós – Hoppípolla
- Electric Light Orchestra – 10538 Overture
- Blind Melon – No Rain
- Mason Williams – Classical Gas
- 10,000 Maniacs – Eat For Two
- Appletree Theatre – You're the Biggest Thing
Tag Archives: Dave Moore
It’s about time I gave some other bloggers a plug again. There’s a wealth of good stuff out there, and I do like to share the posts of those I read and enjoy. For the best in local stuff, always take a punt over to the YamYam for Walsall, or any of its sister sites, The Staffie, The Brummie etc. – just check the ‘beyond’ tab in the menu bar.
I should have known, really. No sooner had I delved into the fascinating world of the Brownhills surge stack, then Ian Pell, railway historian extraordinaire, had written to me with a whole bunch of new information, clarifications and even a few questions.
It seems like we’re in a period for odd historical tangents and discoveries. It all started with Peter ‘Pedro’ Cutler’s classic bit of gentrified nimbyism from ‘Captain’ Harrison at Aldershaw(e). From there, we alighted at Sandfields Pumping Station at Lichfield, and found a wonderful, but neglected steam engine. We’ve found since, via Peter’s further diligent research, and that of Dave Moore, a chap clearly expert on the matter, that there was a long forgotten water tower in Brownhills.