Because you’re free to read this blog
- October 2nd - The return from Derby was long and leisurely. Lots... October 4, 2015
- October 2nd - As well as Leicester, there will always be a place... October 4, 2015
- October 2nd - The run from Leicester to Derby is lovely, and... October 4, 2015
- October 2nd - I felt this was probably going to be the last good... October 4, 2015
- October 1st - Nice to see the cotoneaster going bright... October 2, 2015
- October 1st - Although the wonderful Indian summer continues,... October 2, 2015
- September 30th - Sadly, my morning photos came out terrible... September 30, 2015
- September 29th - But still, there’s colour. There aren’t many... September 30, 2015
- September 29th - Jockey Meadows and the surrounding farmland are... September 30, 2015
- September 28th - Nipping from Stonnall over to Walsall Wood on... September 29, 2015
- September 28th - Quite a find for me, and only the second time... September 29, 2015
- September 27th - On the canal near Newtown, Brownhills,... September 29, 2015
Top Posts & Pages
- House fire in Vernon Avenue last night
- Van break-in in Shire Oak - be on the lookout, please
- Train spotted
- The people in charge - in 1934
- Narrow gauge minded
- A true friend of Walsall
- A really good night in for Macmillan - at King Street Club this Monday!
- Harden not so fast, sunshine!
- Withdrawal of 56 bus service: Latest news, and please sign the petition!
- Walsall Wood sadly no match for Hereford
- 2,640,736 hits
- 2014 2015 Accident Aldridge appeal away Baker Bond Bill Shaw Brian Stringer Brownhills Brownhills local history Canal Chasewater Chasewater Dam Chasewater Wildlife Group Cheap tat Clayhanger crime Cycle rides cycling David Evans Derelict event Events Express & Star Facebook FC football Footy freesheet Gazette Good of the Wood history home Laburnum Cottage Lichfield local blogs Local History Local politics Lost match review Mike Bird New Photos newspaper Oak Park Old maps Panoramio planning Police Politics Pubs Redevelopment Report Reservoir result Saturday Shire Oak Silly soccer Staffordshire Stonnall Sunday Tesco Things to do Twitter Vandalism Walsall Walsall Council Walsall Police Walsall politics Walsall Wood Walsall WOod FC Watling Street West Midlands Police Wildlife
- Suppose I could go full-on Pelsall and advertise with duckings and sacrifices on the Common 15 minutes ago
- I didn't know you could just abandon groups on FB to the four winds. Rudderless. So, now I've got a group. Not sure what to do with it 16 minutes ago
- I didn't plan to. FB asked me if I wanted to be Admin, so I thought it would be rude not to. Then I found I was the only admin. Like what? 17 minutes ago
- On the subject of odd occurrences, I took vacant possession of a Pelsall Group on FB this morning. 17 minutes ago
- 'i've only just begun to decompose, because my bonkers bro had me embalmed' 38 minutes ago
© BrownhillsBobAll rights reserved - material not to be reused without permission.
Blogs I Follow
- BrownhillsBob's Brownhills Blog
- Edinburgh Wildlife
- DARLASTON REMEMBERS
- West Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust
- Aer Reg
- Stickymackhouse my life and other things
- Life At 50mm
- Studio Living
- Diary of a Four Wheeled Wonder Woman
- Lichfield Waterworks Trust
- Chasewaterstuff's Railway & Canal Blog
- Chasewater Railway Museum
- Mental Health Cop
- Diary of a Gimpy Kid
- Handed on
- All the Days and Nights
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Chasewater Strollers October 5, 2015 at 9:30 am – 1:00 pm Chasewater Innovation Centre, Burntwood, Lichfield District, United Kingdom Buggy social strolling group for parents & toddlers http://brownhillsbob.com/2014/04/20/stroll-on/ https://www.facebook.com/Chasewaterstrollers
- Chasewater Strollers October 12, 2015 at 9:30 am – 1:00 pm Chasewater Innovation Centre, Burntwood, Lichfield District, United Kingdom Buggy social strolling group for parents & toddlers http://brownhillsbob.com/2014/04/20/stroll-on/ https://www.facebook.com/Chasewaterstrollers
- Chasewater Strollers October 19, 2015 at 9:30 am – 1:00 pm Chasewater Innovation Centre, Burntwood, Lichfield District, United Kingdom Buggy social strolling group for parents & toddlers http://brownhillsbob.com/2014/04/20/stroll-on/ https://www.facebook.com/Chasewaterstrollers
Tag Archives: Captain
I had this one in a couple of days ago from Peter ‘Pedro’ Cutler, who continues his dogged research into local mining history, and the relationship between those above ground and those whose labours they depended upon beneath them.
I should have known, really. No sooner had I delved into the fascinating world of the Brownhills surge stack, then Ian Pell, railway historian extraordinaire, had written to me with a whole bunch of new information, clarifications and even a few questions.
It seems like we’re in a period for odd historical tangents and discoveries. It all started with Peter ‘Pedro’ Cutler’s classic bit of gentrified nimbyism from ‘Captain’ Harrison at Aldershaw(e). From there, we alighted at Sandfields Pumping Station at Lichfield, and found a wonderful, but neglected steam engine. We’ve found since, via Peter’s further diligent research, and that of Dave Moore, a chap clearly expert on the matter, that there was a long forgotten water tower in Brownhills.