Because you’re free to read this blog
- October 9th - A beautiful autumn morning on Walsall’s canals,... October 9, 2015
- October 8th - I was right about the rain and the fungi. On... October 9, 2015
- October 7th - I was right about the rain and fungus. At the... October 7, 2015
- October 7th - After the last couple of days of wet, grey... October 7, 2015
- October 6th - Traffic. Tell me when my red light turns green. I... October 7, 2015
- October 6th - Also looking good in the autumn colour is church... October 7, 2015
- October 6th - A terribly grey morning, spotting with rain and I... October 7, 2015
- October 6th - It’s nice to see a local pub coming back from the... October 6, 2015
- 4th October - And finally, watch out if you’re riding along the... October 5, 2015
- October 4th - The fly agaric are a bit thin on the ground this... October 5, 2015
- October 4th - I have no idea what his name was, but this young... October 5, 2015
- October 4th - A considerably different day, the sun was again... October 5, 2015
Top Posts & Pages
- Walsall Wood Remembrance Parade - what a mess!
- Back of the net! Brian Stringer's latest book on sale now!
- Details of Shire Oak Pub refurbishment now available
- In the Middle
- Woodmen make short shrift of Shifnal
- Have you lost a bird?
- 56 bus service: Travel West Midlands to fill the gap
- June 1990 - Avenues fight on
- Signs of life
- Withdrawal of 56 bus service: Latest news, and please sign the petition!
- 2,650,735 hits
- 2014 2015 Accident Aldridge appeal away Baker Bond Bill Shaw Brian Stringer Brownhills Brownhills local history Canal Chasewater Chasewater Dam Chasewater Wildlife Group Cheap tat Clayhanger crime Cycle rides cycling David Evans Derelict event Events Express & Star Facebook FC football Footy freesheet Gazette Good of the Wood history home Laburnum Cottage Lichfield local blogs Local History Local politics Lost match review Mike Bird New Photos newspaper Oak Park Old maps Panoramio planning Police Politics Pubs Redevelopment Report Reservoir result Saturday Shire Oak Silly soccer Staffordshire Stonnall Sunday Tesco Things to do Twitter Vandalism Walsall Walsall Council Walsall Police Walsall politics Walsall Wood Walsall WOod FC Watling Street West Midlands Police Wildlife
- Serene http://t.co/N2IrBLtqkt 8 hours ago
- RT @PetsLocated: Ginger and White Cat found in Walsall Wood (WS9) on 9th October 2015 #foundcats #foundpets: bit.ly/1MkCxD1 9 hours ago
- Nice to be away from work http://t.co/uxMzxnnVfa 10 hours ago
- Walsall Wood Remembrance Parade - what a mess! wp.me/pvAxA-74B via @brownhillsbob 14 hours ago
- #365daysofbiking Taking the air: ift.tt/1LlsTzi 14 hours ago
© BrownhillsBobAll rights reserved - material not to be reused without permission.
Blogs I Follow
- BrownhillsBob's Brownhills Blog
- Edinburgh Wildlife
- DARLASTON REMEMBERS
- West Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust
- Aer Reg
- Stickymackhouse my life and other things
- Life At 50mm
- Studio Living
- Diary of a Four Wheeled Wonder Woman
- Lichfield Waterworks Trust
- Chasewaterstuff's Railway & Canal Blog
- Chasewater Railway Museum
- Mental Health Cop
- Diary of a Gimpy Kid
- Handed on
- All the Days and Nights
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Chasewater Strollers October 12, 2015 at 9:30 am – 1:00 pm Chasewater Innovation Centre, Burntwood, Lichfield District, United Kingdom Buggy social strolling group for parents & toddlers http://brownhillsbob.com/2014/04/20/stroll-on/ https://www.facebook.com/Chasewaterstrollers
- Chasewater Strollers October 19, 2015 at 9:30 am – 1:00 pm Chasewater Innovation Centre, Burntwood, Lichfield District, United Kingdom Buggy social strolling group for parents & toddlers http://brownhillsbob.com/2014/04/20/stroll-on/ https://www.facebook.com/Chasewaterstrollers
- Chasewater Strollers October 26, 2015 at 9:30 am – 1:00 pm Chasewater Innovation Centre, Burntwood, Lichfield District, United Kingdom Buggy social strolling group for parents & toddlers http://brownhillsbob.com/2014/04/20/stroll-on/ https://www.facebook.com/Chasewaterstrollers
Tag Archives: Aldershawe
I’m pleased to say that, somewhat like rust, Peter ‘Pedro’ Cutler never sleeps, and his tireless and somewhat relentless pursuit of the evidential history behind some of the commonly accepted ‘authoritative sources’ of local mining history continues unabated.
It’s interesting to note that Peter ‘Pedro’ Cutler is coming over all iconoclastic again – and I, for one, welcome it, as Peter has a fine record of kicking over the statues of the local mining history – particularly in regard the the Harrison colliery dynasty.
From time to time here, we mention the history of Aldershawe, the estate and large house overlooking Lichfield from high on the hill near Wall – this remarkable and secluded property is, of course, closely intertwined with the Harrison family who owned it for a time.
Peter ‘Pedro’ Cutler continues his patient, thorough research into the Harrison empire. This was, of course, the local industrialist family that owned mines in South Staffordshire, and particularly the Grove Pit and others locally.
It seems like we’re in a period for odd historical tangents and discoveries. It all started with Peter ‘Pedro’ Cutler’s classic bit of gentrified nimbyism from ‘Captain’ Harrison at Aldershaw(e). From there, we alighted at Sandfields Pumping Station at Lichfield, and found a wonderful, but neglected steam engine. We’ve found since, via Peter’s further diligent research, and that of Dave Moore, a chap clearly expert on the matter, that there was a long forgotten water tower in Brownhills.