Because you’re free to read this blog
- December 8th - I really didn’t know what to do with these... December 8, 2013
- December 8th - Not another bloody sunset? Sorry. They are very... December 8, 2013
- beautyinbirmingham: Sunset over Fox Hollies Park in Acocks... December 8, 2013
- beautyinbirmingham: The Lickey Hills in the fog of an Autumn... December 8, 2013
- December 7th - The distraction was a murmuration of Starlings.... December 7, 2013
- December 7th - The sunset was even better than I expected. I... December 7, 2013
- December 7th - Up for a spin around Chasewater to catch the... December 7, 2013
- December 6th - I finished work early, and headed to Lichfield to... December 7, 2013
- deantheman: A week in walsall 7th December 2013 I was walking... December 7, 2013
- December 5th - Without a functioning rail service, there was no... December 6, 2013
- December 5th - It wasn’t a great day for train travel in... December 6, 2013
- December 4th - Also in South Wigston, a postie’s bike. I... December 4, 2013
Top Posts & Pages
- The Ironmaster
- Old Ground
- Changes to local bin collections this week!
- Follow that elephant!
- Christmas stories and crafts for kids at the library this Saturday!
- Walsall Wood F.C. - no second chance
- Norton Canes Christmas Fayre this afternoon!
- Small increments
- What's this stuff about, then?
- Car accident in Short Street, Brownhills yesterday
- 1,028,660 hits
- 2013 Aldridge Andy Dennis bike cam Brownhills Brownhills common Brownhills local history Brownhills Market Canal Chasewater Chasewater Dam Chasewater Wildlife Group Cheap tat Clayhanger Countryside Services cuts Cycle rides cycling David Evans Derelict Events Express & Star Facebook FC football Footy Good of the Wood Graham Evans history Lichfield Lichfield District Council Lichfield Mercury local blogs Local History Local politics Memories of Brownhills Past Mike Bird mining New Photos Oak Park Ogley Hay Old maps Ordnance Survey Panoramio Peter Cutler planning Police Politics Pubs Ravens Court Redevelopment Reservoir Shire Oak Silly soccer Social media Social Services Staffordshire Stonnall Tesco Tesco Development The Plastic Hippo The YamYam Things to do Twitter Vandalism Walsall Walsall Council Walsall Housing Group Walsall Police Walsall politics Walsall Wood Walsall WOod FC West Midlands Police Wildlife
- RT @RippedOffBriton: Today's parliamentary agenda. Item 1: commemorate selfless statesmanship of Mandela. Item 2: give ourselves a massive … 15 minutes ago
- RT @RogerQuimbly: Thanks to those who complained to the BBC about their Nelson Mandela coverage, I can now add another 850 people to my fuc… 16 minutes ago
- Introducing the yoot here to Scritti Politti. 'Best Thing Ever' played loud is apparently a hit. 40 minutes ago
- RT @ProResting: This may be one of the greatest casting calls that I've ever seen... http://t.co/jzNVHpHW81 56 minutes ago
- RT @thestymaster: Motorists lose badge of superiority to cyclists (@brownhillsbob) thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/m… 1 hour ago
© BrownhillsBobAll rights reserved - material not to be reused without permission.
Blogs I Follow
- Life At 50mm
- Studio Living
- Diary of a Four Wheeled Wonder Woman
- BrownhillsBob's Brownhills Blog
- The Friends of Sandfields Pumping Station
- Chasewaterstuff's Railway & Canal Blog
- Chasewater Railway Museum
- Diary of a Gimpy Kid
- Handed on
- All the Days and Nights
- Stuff Jimm Rennie Does
- 150 great things about the Underground
- Getting There
- Atomic Spin
- Joni Mitchell – A Case of You - live
- Joni Mitchell – Woman Of Heart And Mind - Live
- Joni Mitchell – Cold Blue Steel And Sweet Fire - Live
- Joni Mitchell – Cactus Tree - live
- Joni Mitchell – Woodstock - Live
- Joni Mitchell – Rainy Night House - Live
- Joni Mitchell – Big Yellow Taxi - LIVE
- Joni Mitchell – You Turn Me on I'm a Radio - live
- Joni Mitchell – Twisted
- Joni Mitchell – Trouble Child
Category Archives: Walsall Wood stuff
Here’s some mapping I’ve been meaning to run since reader Peter mentioned it in the comments to the post ‘Keep out of Cotterill’s road’ on Friday last – I may have posted similar before, but if I have, I can’t find a copy.
I thought I’d continue today with the third article in the series I started a couple of weeks ago, chronicling the memories of Walsall Wood lady Audrey Proffitt, carefully and faithfully transcribed by reader and Walsall Wood correspondent David Evans.
I think this might be controversial – from recent activity at the site, it seems like the former St. John’s School, in Lichfield Road Walsall Wood, may be about to be demolished, and it’s site possibly redeveloped, together with the derelict bungalow next door.
I thought I’d continue today with another article in the series I started last week, chronicling the memories of Walsall Wood lady Audrey Proffitt, carefully and faithfully transcribed by reader and Walsall Wood correspondent David Evans.
I noticed last week that revised plans had been submitted for the replacement of the decaying Oak Park Leisure Centre at Walsall Wood – I thought I’d feature them here as a fair few folk are interested in the issue, and it remains somewhat contentious.
An email finds me from David Evans, containing a rather wonderful image he’s spotted in an Alton Douglas book that he’s like to know more about – it surely is a cracker and I’d love to know more about these ladies and what they were up to.
Lord knows where he found it, but isn’t this picture from the Young David Evans a remarkable thing?
David Evans, top blog contributor and local historian extraordinaire, has strong connections with the local Methodist Movement – in this capacity, David has been working very hard indeed on the following article on the construction of the New Chapel for some weeks now, and I’m proud and honoured to present it for readers.
I know I plugged it a couple of days ago, but Walsall Park Rangers are still in need of pallets to build the bonfire for the Holland Park Fireworks event, scheduled to take place this Saturday evening Continue reading
Brownhills Bonfire & Firework Display
At Holland Park
Saturday 2rd November 2013
Enjoy our bonfire and fireworks display, food and children’s rides available
Car Park Entry off The Parade. Pedestrian Entrance is through Chester Road North & The Parade.
I had a posting schedule for this weekend, but like so many things I plan, it seems to have flown out the window – when the fascinating thread about Captain T.V. Peake was developing, mostly when I was getting covered in mud on Cannock Chase, it seems one reader had his head deep in research.
I’m liking this a lot: sent to me yesterday by Andy Dennis, this is a Google Documents/Excel spreadsheet of derived information on local pub landlords from census and other data.
Friend of the blog and leader of 1st Walsall Wood Scout Group Lee Braggington writes to me with a very interesting enquiry – it had never registered with me before, but Lee is quite right; Walsall Wood’s Remembrance Parade has always seemed to be on a Sunday Afternoon – this year on the 10th November.