Because you’re free to read this blog
- December 10th - Walsall Wood again has a Christmas Tree that... December 11, 2013
- December 10th - If I’ve got time, when cycling to... December 11, 2013
- December 9th - After some years of the awful skeletal Christmas... December 9, 2013
- December 9th - It was a beautiful commute this morning. Heading... December 9, 2013
- December 8th - I really didn’t know what to do with these... December 8, 2013
- December 8th - Not another bloody sunset? Sorry. They are very... December 8, 2013
- beautyinbirmingham: Sunset over Fox Hollies Park in Acocks... December 8, 2013
- beautyinbirmingham: The Lickey Hills in the fog of an Autumn... December 8, 2013
- December 7th - The distraction was a murmuration of Starlings.... December 7, 2013
- December 7th - The sunset was even better than I expected. I... December 7, 2013
- December 7th - Up for a spin around Chasewater to catch the... December 7, 2013
- December 6th - I finished work early, and headed to Lichfield to... December 7, 2013
Top Posts & Pages
- Christmas stories and crafts for kids at the library this Saturday!
- Old Ground
- Bloxwich: men in tights!
- The Ironmaster
- Follow that elephant!
- Walsall Wood 1911, before and beyond
- Small increments
- Car accident in Short Street, Brownhills yesterday
- New Walsall Wood boxing club set to be a knock out!
- New local history book out soon!
- 1,030,890 hits
- 2013 Aldridge Andy Dennis bike cam Brownhills Brownhills common Brownhills local history Brownhills Market Canal Chasewater Chasewater Dam Chasewater Wildlife Group Cheap tat Clayhanger Countryside Services cuts Cycle rides cycling David Evans Derelict Events Express & Star Facebook FC football Footy Good of the Wood Graham Evans history Lichfield Lichfield District Council Lichfield Mercury local blogs Local History Local politics Memories of Brownhills Past Mike Bird mining New Photos Oak Park Ogley Hay Old maps Ordnance Survey Panoramio Peter Cutler planning Police Politics Pubs Ravens Court Redevelopment Reservoir Shire Oak Silly soccer Social media Social Services Staffordshire Stonnall Tesco Tesco Development The Plastic Hippo The YamYam Things to do Twitter Vandalism Walsall Walsall Council Walsall Housing Group Walsall Police Walsall politics Walsall Wood Walsall WOod FC West Midlands Police Wildlife
- RT @G_IW: Some great stuff from my old mucker @vaughangething over in Wales tackling the lies about benefit claimants. http://t.co/VDAqmdsC… 16 minutes ago
- RT @Kenofski: @petepaphides @BrownhillsBob The inspiration for this classic clip no doubt youtube.com/watch?v=J6Cy6_… 18 minutes ago
- RT @sbriercliffe: @BrownhillsBob evidence of the battered pies. http://t.co/BHMY61OcUF 18 minutes ago
- RT @Mrs_Funky: Make no mistake: Iain Duncan Smith wants the end of social security | Zoe Williams gu.com/p/3y5xt 9 hours ago
- Nr. Birmingham paradisecircus.com/2013/12/10/nr-… 9 hours ago
© BrownhillsBobAll rights reserved - material not to be reused without permission.
Blogs I Follow
- Life At 50mm
- Studio Living
- Diary of a Four Wheeled Wonder Woman
- BrownhillsBob's Brownhills Blog
- The Friends of Sandfields Pumping Station
- Chasewaterstuff's Railway & Canal Blog
- Chasewater Railway Museum
- Diary of a Gimpy Kid
- Handed on
- All the Days and Nights
- Stuff Jimm Rennie Does
- 150 great things about the Underground
- Getting There
- Atomic Spin
- Andrew Bird – Behind the Barn
- Andrew Bird – Near Death Experience Experience
- Andrew Bird – Lazy Projector
- Andrew Bird – Eyeoneye
- Andrew Bird – Give It Away
- Andrew Bird – Danse Carribe
- Andrew Bird – Polynation
- Andrew Bird – Desperation Breeds
- Andrew Bird – Beyond the Valley of the Three White Horses
- Andrew Bird – Orpheo
Category Archives: Spotted whilst browsing the web
Here’s an odd snippet I found in the newspaper archives whilst looking for something completely different, which as anyone who’s ever researched any local history will tell you, is generally the way all the best stuff is found.
I think this might be controversial – from recent activity at the site, it seems like the former St. John’s School, in Lichfield Road Walsall Wood, may be about to be demolished, and it’s site possibly redeveloped, together with the derelict bungalow next door.
I noticed last week that revised plans had been submitted for the replacement of the decaying Oak Park Leisure Centre at Walsall Wood – I thought I’d feature them here as a fair few folk are interested in the issue, and it remains somewhat contentious.
Mindful of the day and occasion, regular contributor and blog stalwart Peter ‘Pedro’ Cutler wrote to me with an interesting couple of things to check out relating to the Second World War and Birmingham – I wasn’t aware of either, and they’ve been eye-openers, to be quite honest. Continue reading
There’s been an unfortunate RTA at Walsall Council, and it deserves as wide exposure as possible.
I must admit, the somewhat vexed question of the Council House Clock had slipped my mind – that is, until reader, local history wonk and friend of the blog Andy Dennis wrote to me yesterday.
I know I plugged it a couple of days ago, but Walsall Park Rangers are still in need of pallets to build the bonfire for the Holland Park Fireworks event, scheduled to take place this Saturday evening Continue reading
Brownhills Bonfire & Firework Display
At Holland Park
Saturday 2rd November 2013
Enjoy our bonfire and fireworks display, food and children’s rides available
Car Park Entry off The Parade. Pedestrian Entrance is through Chester Road North & The Parade.
This is important, and I’m very excited about it – Peter ‘Pedro’ Cutler has found the following sale notice in the archives from Aris’s Birmingham Gazette of 26th August 1850.
On the continuing theme of wartime Brownhills, air raids and the social upheaval that went with all that, I dug into the newspaper archives for examples of people fined for breaking the lights-out rules.